Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the WTB 700x44 Mutanoraptors are still available or have they been discontinued? I checked the WTB website and they aren't listed that I can tell. I would like to get a set for my cross check. Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
2farfwd said:
Thanks for the info Shiggy. Hmmm, I wonder if the size revision might mean it's too big for the cross check fork and chainstay now.
I would bet they are coming out of the same mold as the 44/44.
The 26x1.85 Nano was also labeled as a 44/40 (casing/tread).
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
I'm confused. The 44mm was 640g (real), and the 1.85 will be 850g? And they decided to make THAT over a big-volume 29" tire?
I bet it's a misunderstanding, and simply the same old same old. The 44mm Mutano also looked really beefy on a pic, huge side knobs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I'm confused. The 44mm was 640g (real), and the 1.85 will be 850g? And they decided to make THAT over a big-volume 29" tire?
I bet it's a misunderstanding, and simply the same old same old. The 44mm Mutano also looked really beefy on a pic, huge side knobs.

Looks like the same tread to me (44/1.85). Maybe the weight is a typo and should be 550 or 650g.
 

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
I rode a set already

We got some in, I immediately grabbed one for the front. It looks just like the previous version, the difference seem to be DNA rubber and kevlar bead. My old tire weighs 595 g, the new one weighs 511 g, this is based on my digital fish scale, accurate to within one ounce.

It rides the same, which is to say it has low rolling resistance, a nice predictable round profile, and good grip for its size.
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
Oh wow, that makes it an immediate contender with all the sub-29" tires out there, nice weight!
The few times I rode mine before I gave them to Solitude-Alex, I thought rear traction was okay, but grip just too much less than a full size 29" tire. And I needed too much pressure in them to not be riding the rims (~195lb back then), so not a soft ride. Fast rolling though. Or does the bone-jarring ride make it seem fast?
 

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cloxxki said:
Oh wow, that makes it an immediate contender with all the sub-29" tires out there, nice weight!
The few times I rode mine before I gave them to Solitude-Alex, I thought rear traction was okay, but grip just too much less than a full size 29" tire. And I needed too much pressure in them to not be riding the rims (~195lb back then), so not a soft ride. Fast rolling though. Or does the bone-jarring ride make it seem fast?
Yeah, the Mutanos would seem small for a 29er, but on my cross check they might just ride like a slice of heaven compared to the typical 700x30-35 cross tire I typically ride offroad with 60-70psi. I hope I'm right!
 

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Bingo

2farfwd said:
Yeah, the Mutanos would seem small for a 29er, but on my cross check they might just ride like a slice of heaven compared to the typical 700x30-35 cross tire I typically ride offroad with 60-70psi. I hope I'm right!
I did say they had good traction "for their size". If you have room for a real 29er tire, that would be better than these for 29er style riding. I like riding my CXer on regular MTB rides sometimes, and the Mutano 44 (with Kenda Kross Supreme 35c rear) provide an adequete minimum level of traction here in So Cal dry hardpack/midly rocky conditions. I rode Whiting/Santiago (if you know the trails it might help) on them and had a great time, I finally have my gearing and tires to where I like them for this bike in MTB mode. I dared run these at 50psi and had no problems.
 

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DirtDad said:
I did say they had good traction "for their size". If you have room for a real 29er tire, that would be better than these for 29er style riding. I like riding my CXer on regular MTB rides sometimes, and the Mutano 44 (with Kenda Kross Supreme 35c rear) provide an adequete minimum level of traction here in So Cal dry hardpack/midly rocky conditions. I rode Whiting/Santiago (if you know the trails it might help) on them and had a great time, I finally have my gearing and tires to where I like them for this bike in MTB mode. I dared run these at 50psi and had no problems.
The Kenda/Mutano mix sounds like a good combo. I am not looking for a 29er ride, just a little more cushion and bite. I know the Whiting/Santiago loop well as I use to live Orange County for 32 of my 35 years. I often rode my geared cross bike on that loop and even conquered "Luge" a few times on the cross bike with Ritchey Speedmax 32s. Talk about wrist pain and brake fade :D

Thanks for your comments and enjoy the nice SoCal weather.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top