Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys, Can someone help me please?

I am a little on the large side at 24 stone (336Lbs), I have been off bikes for a few years and piled on a Mr Potato looking figure, My intentions are to lose it and get back to being a racing snake but I cant seem to find out who sells a coil strong enough for my Cane Creek "Double Barrel" rear shock?

I have read on really old threads online people buying 750/800Lbs coils so they are out there but I just dont know where?

Also, Is there a compatibility issue with Cane Creek? as one company said that the shock I have can only go upto 500Lbs?

Many thanks and I am based in England (UK).:)

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Might be better to post this in the "Clydesdales" forum to get more responses, but based on some things I've read your best bet is likely to first call up cane creek and find out if there are any OEM spring options/recommendations for your weight and second, call up a custom tuner to get you sorted out. They will not only be aware of and able to provide you aftermarket spring options for that shock (if they exist), but you will almost definitely need to have that shock re-valved and tuned for your weight in order to have it perform correctly.

Not sure if you're exclusively looking for UK-based options, which I can't speak to, but US aftermarket tuners like Avalanche Downhill Racing or Push will likely be able to modify what you have or provide you other options that will work. Goodluck and be sure to post back when you find a solution in order to help others!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can tell you Cane Creek VALT springs go to 650lb, the Heavy steel springs may go higher than this but I haven't been able to find one.

One thing I have noticed though, although it says 650 or 600lb etc, the actual spring rate can vary. I have the luxury of a spring rate machine here and the number printed on it seems to be a "ballpark" figure.

For instance: My 3 CC Valt springs.

600 x 2.25 = 581lb
650 x 2.25 = 640lb
650 x 2.0 = 665lb

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
ZSW and Brash,

Many thanks guys! Yeah I have found a spring that will fit here https://www.silverfish-uk.com/produ...1_Fox-Steel-Spring-800-lbs-2-30-quot-1-375-id
You mentioned that one company said the shock could only handle a spring up to a certain poundage (though 500 seems really low), for the sake of rider safety have you consulted the manufacturer to confirm the shock can accommodate this higher spring rate / your riding weight?

Also, it isn't always an issue, but I'd call before ordering and ask for the "Overall Spring Length" measurement. Though this seems counterintuitive, in some cases just because the stroke matches that of your shock, the spring won't fit on the shock itself (this happened to me with my V10), but fox was able to recommend a spring with my desired poundage that would fit using a spring for a different spring stroke that had a short OAL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.