Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
So when you guys go to Moab...do you guys camp or get a room somewhere? I should probably start reading the Utah board more often if I am considering doing this. Since more than likely I will have to do this trip on a tight budget, I'd probably end up camping. But if rooms can be had for really, really cheap...I wouldn't mind going that route either.

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,980 Posts
Visicypher said:
Balut made it onto Fear Factor!!! Muahaha
There is a simple solution to your threats of rank food!

Speaking of Filipino candy, a couple of people from work came back from the PI with this, um, candy stuff that was kinda freaky. It had the consistancy of somewhat dry bread dough and tasted vaguely sweet. Each little, um, candy was individually wrapped in writing paper. No writing was found on the paper. I left the box outside my cube but noone ate any. I put the box out in the kitchen on donut Friday. When I went in there a couple of field techs were licking their fingers asking "What the hell was that?" I told them what it was and both of them went to the head to try and purge. There it is - like another fairy tale.

Attachments

·
Sheepherder/Cat Herder
2,715 Posts
They say asian/pacific islanders are not considered financial minorities, and are the most successful portion of first generation immigrants.

When my family and other flip families get together, the driveway looks like a Lexus/Mercedes dealership. They all still wonder why I own 7 bikes.....

Anyone ridden Sovereign Trail in Moab???

Chute is now open.

·
Sheepherder/Cat Herder
2,715 Posts
Nick, you would love my friend. First gen Flip MD who is into backpacking. She lives in the Midwest.

Balut - just close your eyes and do the Balut "shot". Hahaha.
Dinuguan - no different, theoretically, than Polish blood sausage...definitely eat it with puto. The chitlands (sp?) usually cap it off for most non-ethnic types. The Mexican community has menudo and languiza!!!!

Don't step in the pooh.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Se Va

BelaySlave said:
Earthpig -- where did you grow up?
Hampton Roads area of SE Virginia, which includes the cities of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, etc... Actually, I guess I was wrong about the "largest population outside the islands." Apparently, Hampton Roads has the largest filipino population on the east coast. (Big difference!) Where I went to high school, I was in the ethnic/racial minority - lots and lots of filipinos in my school!

Here's a quote from the local Virginia Beach paper:

Filipinos who migrated to southeast Virginia came from the same country, but they also came from vastly different backgrounds within the sprawling, Pacific-island nation that is a curious mix of Asian and Hispanic influences.

The Philippines was occupied by Spain for 300 years before it was ceded to the United States in 1898 after the Spanish-American War.

It is a nation of 82 million people on more than 1,000 islands, with 87 dialects, said Dr. Manuel Hipol, a physician and leader of the local Filipino-American community.

Where you come from in the Philippines determines whom you associate with – partly because of custom, language and politics.

Some immigrants in Hampton Roads are from the northern area of Luzon, the Philippines’ main island.

That’s where Ferdinand Marcos, a dictator with a mixed record of development accomplishments and human-rights failures, got his political start, said Nony E. Abrajano, a Virginia Beach resident and retired Navy veteran who is state chairman of the National Federation of Filipino American Associations.

Others came from less politically strong areas, such as the Bicol Region in the southeastern Luzon, the Visayan in the central Philippines and Mindanow in the southern Philippines.

Most came to the United States through the U.S. Navy, which offered citizenship to Filipinos who joined and served honorably. Many stayed in Hampton Roads after being stationed here.

Eventually, they brought relatives from the Philippines.

The 2000 census reported 23,000 Filipinos in Hampton Roads, but Villanueva and others believe that the total is closer to 40,000.

And, here's a link to the local FANHS chapter: http://fanhs-hr.org/

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
BelaySlave said:
So when you guys go to Moab...do you guys camp or get a room somewhere? I should probably start reading the Utah board more often if I am considering doing this. Since more than likely I will have to do this trip on a tight budget, I'd probably end up camping. But if rooms can be had for really, really cheap...I wouldn't mind going that route either.
Moab is a 9 hour drive if you stop in Salt Lake for a meal. Sans stopping, I'm sure you can make it in 8 - 8.5 hours. I've camped in town each time I've gone - at the Canyonlands Campground, which is south on the main road through town. It has tent spots, camper spots, cabins, a general store, bathrooms with showers, and a pool. I think it costs about $5 per person per night for a tent camping spot. It was a zoo both times I went over Memorial Day weekend (1999 and 2001) but when I went in March of 2003 it was almost empty. It's riding distance from almost everything on the south side of town, including the Moab Rim, Amasa Back, Porcupine, Slickrock, and Flat Pass. Poison Spider, Sovereign, Gold Bar, and other trails to the north of town are shuttling/driving trips, unless you're a real [email protected] and you want serious pavement miles before you hit dirt.

I'd be up for a Moab/Fruita trip in March/April - count me in! My dad went to Fruita this past fall to visit a friend who relocated there from Chesapeake (VA) and send me a bunch of trail maps for Christmas. I tried to get a small group to head over from Moab for a couple of days when I was there in '01, but couldn't get any takers.

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
Looks just like the trip I did last thanksgiving

with owen the dog. We rode gooseberry, did the loop of gould-gem-hurrican rim, trails near church rocks and then a hike into the deep canyons above church rocks.

Gooseberry is loads of fun, you were lucky the road was not muddy. In 2001 it had snowed and then thawed and the road was one big mud pit. At least now the trail seems to be a little better marked than the first time I rode it :)

Didn't mountain bike this christmas but hit the ski slopes in central british columbia. Maybe the flip should take up skiing and skate skiing.

oh don't forget blue diamond when you go to vegas.

Attachments

61 - 67 of 67 Posts