Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Rim job

Bad rim strip job with strapping tape = flat at a bad time. This was my second flat of the day. This happened on the second ride, the 21 miler Hurricane Rim ride on Sunday (the first flat happened on the Slickrock Swamp). We were out of tubes and only had patches left so we would've been SOL if my Stans front wheel/tire decided to burp or we get a valve leak. The 3rd flat happened 1/2 km from the truck at 6pm, right as it was getting super dark and super cold. Scary prospect to ride an unfamiliar rim trail in the dark...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Nick...

She has a bright yellow H2 and a house in Vega$...sadly I haven't been able to use either one even though she keeps offering them to me
DUDE!
Call her up now and say... "Tita, I love you! You are the best Tita in the world! Uh, hmmm, by the way, can I borrow your house and H2 for a week?" Invite us all down and we'll ride Bootleg Canyon for a week. I'll cook the adobo, Visicypher will bring the beer and TP. EP and TC will bring the chardonnay. Westin will invite some flight attendants... RRB will drop us all on the climbs and the downhills...

·
Banned
3,224 Posts
Okay, laughing my F ass off now

flipnidaho said:
Flip natives don't talk this way. It's more like... "Punk-a$$ ****** ain't showin' me no ice!" I should know, I'm a native...

One more thing, it's spelled "Filipino".

Stepping off soap-box now and going back to the bike talk...
Well I been studying my ass off all day to take the iNET+ exam, gotta keep getting the credentials... I can't move, feel the cobwebs growing. I need to ride, or at least a good good workout on the trainer. I hope tomorrow is DRY!

Flip you hurt me with those pics of S. Utah!

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Almost Moab

I was seriously considering going to Moab and spending NYE there but my project goes live on 1/4/06 so I have to work this week and next week... Not necessarily a bad thing since the forecast for Moab looks to be the same as here anyway... Might as well make some coin if its going to be crappy outside. 2.5 more weeks then retirement again...

Flip you hurt me with those pics of S. Utah!
Here is some more motivation for ya.... This is on Slickrock Swamp which might as well be called Legal Riding in Zion. I really see where it can be easy to poach Zion-specially on Christmas Day when there is absolutely no one there...

Attachments

·
Banned
3,224 Posts
Nice

flipnidaho said:
I was seriously considering going to Moab and spending NYE there but my project goes live on 1/4/06 so I have to work this week and next week... Not necessarily a bad thing since the forecast for Moab looks to be the same as here anyway... Might as well make some coin if its going to be crappy outside. 2.5 more weeks then retirement again...

Here is some more motivation for ya.... This is on Slickrock Swamp which might as well be called Legal Riding in Zion. I really see where it can be easy to poach Zion-specially on Christmas Day when there is absolutely no one there...
What's your project?

Here's one of me a few years back on a little drop in on Amasa Back:

cheers man...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Contract work at Albertsons...

Doing a little software implementation for the nice folks here. It is paying for the Yeti and my trips for this year and early next year...

Nice picture. Are you sure that you and RRB are not twins. Here is a similar shot on Gooseberry... She is such a very good sport and a pretty aggressive rider for someone that just started riding in March/April of this year. This picture was taken 10 minutes after a nasty crash down a little ravine when her wheels slipped out from under her in a very off camber section. The type of fall where you have to sit down for a few minutes and go through all the major bones and joints to make sure nothing's broken. 10 minutes later, back to the regular drops on the rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Poaching Zion

flipnidaho said:

Poaching Zion. Jeez, you are starting to sound like me.

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
What's your project?

Here's one of me a few years back on a little drop in on Amasa Back:

cheers man...
brings back some warm memories, compadre. I spent all day on/around Amasaback about 6 yrs ago. Lotsa fun.

CDB

·
Sheepherder/Cat Herder
2,715 Posts
Mahal ako Tita!!!

Then tell her you need to borrow the H2 to take a girl on a date to eat pancit & dinogan(sp) w/patis at a nice filipino restaurant. And tell her the gal is an MD. You'll have the keys in no time.

Hmmm....all the flip gals I know are MDs, lawyers, bankers, or nurses...they don't ask anyone for money.

I like the "punk-a$$ ******" line there Flip. I wish I still remember how to write in tagalog. Next time I make pancit...I'll give you a ring.

And rocknroll...I love the response...very appropriate.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Visicypher said:
Hmmm....all the flip gals I know are MDs, lawyers, bankers, or nurses...they don't ask anyone for money.
I'll second that. Where I grew up had the highest concentration of filipinos outside the islands. (My grandparents lived in the Phillipines for several years too.) One of my best friends from high school was filipino and her mother was an MD. Her dad, on the other hand, loved to party and cook. We could always count on him to throw a party, cook up some great food, give all of us high school kids beer (after taking and hiding our car keys, of course) and then letting us crash on the floor of their place. Ah, memories of good times 20+ years ago...

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Upper Porc Rim

BiggerIsBetter said:
Poaching Zion. Jeez, you are starting to sound like me.
Let's do upper Porc Rim in March/April. I've been reading about it and want to try it. I think it makes Porc Rim a 40+ mile ride (if you ride from town)...

·
Banned
3,224 Posts
I think we are

flipnidaho said:
Doing a little software implementation for the nice folks here. It is paying for the Yeti and my trips for this year and early next year...

Nice picture. Are you sure that you and RRB are not twins. Here is a similar shot on Gooseberry... She is such a very good sport and a pretty aggressive rider for someone that just started riding in March/April of this year. This picture was taken 10 minutes after a nasty crash down a little ravine when her wheels slipped out from under her in a very off camber section. The type of fall where you have to sit down for a few minutes and go through all the major bones and joints to make sure nothing's broken. 10 minutes later, back to the regular drops on the rocks.
That's one CORE girl man. Definitely similar looking photos, cant' see the chute either, but her ass is MUCH cuter than mine. Ooops I mentioned the word "chute": Visiciypher do not respond!

·
Banned
3,224 Posts
You'll like it

flipnidaho said:
Let's do upper Porc Rim in March/April. I've been reading about it and want to try it. I think it makes Porc Rim a 40+ mile ride (if you ride from town)...
If it's what I did with Dirt Dart on that trip from that photo. Adds more singletrack with some small tech sections, and one steep drop in before you get to the "cocktail rock"
where everybody starts. The people at Poison Spider or Rim Cyclery I forget which kind of came down on me for mentioning that we did this becuase it was "illegal", but supposedly now is legal.

Hey, just to throw in to what Geoff was saying, my real perception of Filipina is that most are of VERY high education level, engineers, doctors, a lot of nurses, and business people who know how to make money. They (and a lot of other cultures) know how to stick together in the family to work together and work themselves to wealth or at least comfortable economic levels. I wish my own family had that culture - cuz I'm not afraid to say I could benefit from Ivy League mentorship, doh!

·
Registered
228 Posts
don't forget...

the balut...that's the ace up our sleeves :)

mabuhay ang Pinoy!

Visicypher said:
Then tell her you need to borrow the H2 to take a girl on a date to eat pancit & dinogan(sp) w/patis at a nice filipino restaurant. And tell her the gal is an MD. You'll have the keys in no time.

I like the "punk-a$$ ******" line there Flip. I wish I still remember how to write in tagalog. Next time I make pancit...I'll give you a ring.

And rocknroll...I love the response...very appropriate.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
So much to cover since yesterday....

1) Earthpig -- where did you grow up? I was the only Flip from K-12. Really didn't know any flips at BSU although did have one dormmate who was a halfie. I do know now that within the past 5 years or so a flip organization was created at BSU. Also I think there is a flip organization in Boise (they had their Xmas party at Bishop Kelly several weeks ago). Being a first generation fella and living in the Zionist Theocracy of Canyon County for most of my life, I really haven't been surrounded by the culture. My mom knows a bunch of filipinos through work at Simplot.

2) I know I've asked this before, but Moab is a 10'ish hour drive from Boise right? So is the weather pretty constant in mid/late April or is it kind of iffy?

3) Vega$/Bootleg. I went down there earlier this year and was hell bent on hitting up a demo day down there. I even packed a seperate bag with all my gear minus my bike. Got into Vega$ pretty early, but by the time I picked up my rental car and checked into my hotel, didn't have time to drive all the way out there to get in some riding. We ended up checking out Green Valley Ranch in Henderson.

4) Balut, pancit, adobo, etc. My mom's pancit is really, really dumbed down. Very different than the way my aunties make it. Same with my mom's adobo, but I like hers better. Balut...ummm NO! Her spaghetti is very similar to what you would find at a place like Goldilocks or Golden Coin. Dinuguan....man oh man. My mom and dad use to throw a very big shindig each summer way back in the days in Caldwell. Bunch of old filipino men would come over at the crack of dawn and butcher a pig and then cook it on a spit. Well of course they'd drain out alot of blood from the pig's neck. Next thing you know they give that blood to the women folk and several hours later they'd have bowls and bowls of what my mom called "chocolate meat". This was before any white folks would show up at our place. Well this dish would be placed at the table and it usually was one of the first to be hit for seconds and thirds. The thing is though no one mentioned what went into it. Since I knew what the process was, I've never ever tried it to this day.

5) Where in God's name are these filipina women that are doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc.? My mom would LOVE that :rolleyes:. Any of them in the 25-40 y.o. range and like to mountain bike and backpack??? Another bonus would be if they rockclimbed (this brotha needs a kick in the balls to get back into it after my 27th retirement from that sport earlier this spring).

·
Sheepherder/Cat Herder
2,715 Posts
Hmmm...Upper Rim....I want to comment soooo bad.

I've done the full loop unsupported....I've even ridden the road that goes to the right of the water tanks...what is the Upper Porcupine Rim??? (I just love being able to say Rim...hehehe) We are goin' 'round the Rim???

And for the rest of you who think I am not like this in person...well...let's say I don't take life to seriously.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts