Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we saw the weather forcast for today we couldn't contain the joy. Due to other
interests and work it's been over a month since we've been able to get out on the trails
so it was time to disappear for a while. Since the Mountwood Trails are still closed to
deer hunting we drove just a little farther to North Bend State Park and enjoyed an
awesome afternoon of riding.

To my surprise the trails were not very muddy except in a couple spots. However the
rocks and roots were extremely slippery making it a day full of laughs and near crashes. :D

We began our ride down near the ampatheater, rode up to the cabins, made our way
down past Castle Rocks, the lake overlook, across the spillway, Castle Rock spur
Trail, used the access rd. below the dam as a connector to Railroad Grade. We took
Railroad Grade to the campground and then up Hobbs Cemetary Trail for a ways then
off to 10 Acre Trail, then back around and took the Nature Trail loop back to the truck.

Hope everyone got out on the trails on such and awesome December day.

ODN

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CraigCreekRider said:
Scotty looks pretty attached to the 29er. Are you going to get to ride it anymore?:D
Ooohh Yes ! He's just lucky his bike is in the shop for new cables and I felt generous ;)

I didn't really care what bike I rode, just so I got out there ! :thumbsup:

ODN

·
spooge is gone!
290 Posts
Trail looked like it was in great shape. Hope we have a few more of these days in the coming weeks. I was only able to get quick spin around neighborhood, had to watch Eers wipe out UNC and then blowout OSU.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spooge said:
Trail looked like it was in great shape. Hope we have a few more of these days in the coming weeks.
They were pretty good. The rocks, roots and sticks were extremely slippery and there
were a couple sloppy spots where we took the road to avoid them but most of the ride
was great. If you haven't ridden at North Bend you owe it to yourself to check it out.
Next time we go over that way I'll give you a buzz. We'd be glad to show you around
over there. However, after tomorrow, we can again ride at Mountwood anytime of the
week since all the deer gun seasons are over :drumroll: .

Glad to see those 'ER's Get R done, but the riding was more enjoyable IMHO :smilewinkgrin: .

ODN

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
WOW that place looks like a lot of fun...North Bend??? Where is that??? I live in Baltimore and do most of my riding at Patapsco, Gambrills (or it may be Gambrill) it's the one by Frederick Maryland (I have been confused)...then all points north too...would like to try that area...we were at Gambrill state park today, the rocks and roots there were pretty "snotty" too...heck last week with snow/ice was easier than today, but OH the temps were great....
Ed

·
Not sure what to type?
567 Posts
Glad you were able to get out and ride.
I got out into the forest as well, however I was hiking instead of biking.
Hiked Right Fork and Gauley Mtn. Trail on Christmas Eve and then Seneca Rocks on Saturday.
Yeah Yeah, I know I should have been biking but the girlfriend doesn't have a bike yet.
We'll get her one this spring.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cableguy46 said:
WOW that place looks like a lot of fun...North Bend??? Where is that??? I live in Baltimore and do most of my riding at Patapsco, Gambrills (or it may be Gambrill) it's the one by Frederick Maryland (I have been confused)...then all points north too...would like to try that area...we were at Gambrill state park today, the rocks and roots there were pretty "snotty" too...heck last week with snow/ice was easier than today, but OH the temps were great....
Ed
Hey cableguy46, sorry I didn't mention the state when I mentioned the park. North Bend
State Park is located about 25 miles east of Parkersburg, WV near the little town of
Harrisville, WV. They do have some awesome singletrack that many people do not know
about so it's like a hidden treasure. Usually all you hear about is their 75 mile long North
Bend Rail Trail which is part of the park as well. I'm pretty sure there is about 20 or more
miles of singletrack in the park and several loops can be made using some of the roads
to connect them. If you ever get clear over here or are traveling through and want to get in
a couple rides be sure to shoot me a PM. If available, I'd be glad to show you some of
the trails there and at Mountwood Park, which is about 10 miles west of North Bend back
toward Parkersburg. Mountwood is the most used and best trail system over in this area. Over 30 miles of trails there with most of them awesome, well maintained
singletrack. May be worth a day or two in the area :thumbsup: . There are other trail systems
nearby as well like the Marietta OH city trails and Wayne National Forest both across
the river from Parkersburg.

ODN

·
Nostralpicas
216 Posts
Glad to see you guys are happy healthy and riding,I hope the new year brings you more of the same.The weather up this way has been very rider friendly also.

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
if you woulda come to davis/canaan you coulda rode in some freshly thawed mud! riding temps for sure... just not rider friendly after 70" of snow followed by 4" of rain to flood everything then thawing. turns back to winter in a day or so tho.

altho you missed the Tucker County Trails benefit at hellbender burritos!! raised almost a grand i think for takin care of your favorite CVI/Vandalia and state park trails up in davis :)

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oldnoob said:
if you woulda come to davis/canaan you coulda rode in some freshly thawed mud! riding temps for sure... just not rider friendly after 70" of snow followed by 4" of rain to flood everything then thawing. turns back to winter in a day or so tho.

altho you missed the Tucker County Trails benefit at hellbender burritos!! raised almost a grand i think for takin care of your favorite CVI/Vandalia and state park trails up in davis :)
Dude ! I missed out on some fresh Blackwater Mud ? :madman:

Oh well, I was quite happy on the trails we were on. They were slick enough and not
once did I have to dismount my bike in axle deep mud..:D

Now as for missing the benefit, that is bad... Find out to whom donations may be made
and I'll be sure to get a few more funds that way. Malibu (peeler) and I plan on making
our way up there to help with some trail work also. I advised Roger and Matt to be sure
and post something on the WVMBA forums when they plan a work day or two. A
weekend would be great. That would give me a good reason to stay the night.

Hope to see ya soon good friend. Have a safe and happy New Year. See ya soon.

ODN

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hecklerboy said:
Glad you were able to get out and ride.
I got out into the forest as well, however I was hiking instead of biking.
Hiked Right Fork and Gauley Mtn. Trail on Christmas Eve and then Seneca Rocks on Saturday.
Awesome, nothing wrong with hiking. Did alot of that the last month or so (hunting) of
course. Are you ready to take a hike with a couple chain saws and tools out Kennison
Mtn.? We need to do that as soon as the weather has settled a bit up there.

Hecklerboy said:
but the girlfriend doesn't have a bike yet. We'll get her one this
spring.
Just plain AWESOME HB..:cool: You'll have to bring her down this way and let her start
out on some of the best training trails in the state ( Mountwood Park ). What did she
think of Right Fork / Gauley, etc.? I'm sure you let her know you like to ride those...;)

ODN

·
Not sure what to type?
567 Posts
outdoornut said:
Awesome, nothing wrong with hiking. Did alot of that the last month or so (hunting) of
course. Are you ready to take a hike with a couple chain saws and tools out Kennison
Mtn.? We need to do that as soon as the weather has settled a bit up there.

Just plain AWESOME HB..:cool: You'll have to bring her down this way and let her start
out on some of the best training trails in the state ( Mountwood Park ). What did she
think of Right Fork / Gauley, etc.? I'm sure you let her know you like to ride those...;)

ODN
Just say when and we'll hike back into Kennison and clear some trees. I love that trails and would love to ride the whole thing again.

The GF liked Right Fork and Gauley Mtn. Said she would give anything a try after she hones her skill alittle. I think I'll start her off on Cow Pasture then move up to Props Run.
If you know anyone that has a bike for sale around $300 let me know.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Damn, I thought North Bend was a Rails-Trails system. A couple of those pics, I would've almost thought were taken in Kanawha! :eekster:

My Grandparents use to live in Harrisville. Small little town. My grandpa had to come and get me from the local sherrif for underage drinking way back when!:D

Great Pics! I just might have to make a trip there sometime.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
crashedandburned said:
A couple of those pics, I would've almost thought were taken in Kanawha! :eekster: Great Pics! I just might have to make a trip there sometime.
Yea C&B, the singletrack there is pretty sweet. In that place where Malibu is riding under
the overhang you actually have to ride through a cave like section (Hole in the rock). See
this older picture of him going into it and another older pic of some friends coming out of
it. A couple more older pics show some neat areas. Nice camping there as well. You
could camp there and ride there, Mountwood, Marietta trails, etc. We could keep you
riding for a few days without much travel.

There are a couple places with some awesome fast downhill singletrack as well. Of
course any time you got downhill you gotta climb up there :eek:

ODN

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.