Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
It's a Turner!
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a kit from someone on mtbr to try the Frankenturner mod with 5-spot seatstays and a 7.875 x 2.25 shock. Well, I just stuck the shock on there without swapping the seatstays just to see if I could get away with it. I took the spring off and sat my 200lbs on the bike and jumped up and down to squish the bumper and couldn't get the seatstay bridge to contact the seat tube. So I just left it that way. It's a large frame so maybe that has something to do with it being able to fit the larger shock.

The shock a Avalanche Chubie (see pics). The spring is a 550 x 2.0 Romic which has 3 turns of preload and .75" sag and feels soft to me. But the real problem is the 2.0 part. I need to get a 2.25 or I risk binding the spring. Still, I've been jumping around on it and the shock feels phenomenal. So much so that I may be selling my Cane Creek Double Barrel soon. I didn't think it could get any better, but the Avy is super plush, perhaps because it was valved for a lighter person has something to do with it. The bike geometry doesn't feel thrown off either. I'll have to actually ride it on the trail though before a final conclusion.

And btw, other than seeing the stroke number printed on the spring, how can you tell what stroke length a spring is designed for? Is there a way to measure on the spring itself? The gaps between the coils? Doesn't seem to work. See the last pic of the CCDB with the two springs. The one on the shock is a 400 x2.25 and the other is a 650 x 2.00. I'm going to try a 600lb on both shocks just to make a fairer comparison.

BTW, I seriously need to replace my chainrings.

Oh yeah, my gravity dropper has the new remote attachment - it converts the descender model (with the pull knob) to the remote version. You just unscrew the knob and screw in the remote. Sweet.
 

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Congrats on the new rig!
That spring does sound too short, and too light. FWIW I'm ~230+gear and use a 700# spring.

BTW, if this shock now just wait until you get it valved for your weight.
Is that Scuba's kit? I his was not7.875, it was 7.75x2.25 I'm also running the same thing.

Have fun!
 

·
It's a Turner!
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to send my Descender seatpost to gravity dropper because it broke. I asked if the new remote was ready yet (Wayne had told me about it at I-bike) and he told me that I would have the first one. Give them a call.

A couple more pics of it.

2TurnersNotEnough said:
How did you get the remote?
 

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
sirbikesalot said:
So much so that I may be selling my Cane Creek Double Barrel soon. I didn't think it could get any better, but the Avy is super plush, perhaps because it was valved for a lighter person has something to do with it.
agreed.....of all the times I rode the CCDB, I have nothing good to say about it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Hey Sir,bike looks good but....

Would have looked a lot better if you bought my 07 66sl HaHa.BTW sold to one of my boys for 400 bucks.A three ride 07 66sl for 400 bucks,maybe I am crazy after all....Those wheels are sweet,Spinengry sent me mine about a week ago.For those who don't know those are Spinergy new 07 24 spoke all mountain wheel set (1800 grams.)They are crazy sweet,The spokes are like the size of three spokes in one.Not a freeride or DH wheel set.Full retail is about $860.00 I;m sure I can do much better if any one is interested.PM me....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
sirbikesalot said:
Well, I just stuck the shock on there without swapping the seatstays just to see if I could get away with it. I took the spring off and sat my 200lbs on the bike and jumped up and down to squish the bumper and couldn't get the seatstay bridge to contact the seat tube. So I just left it that way.
I would be really careful with that. I did the same test with my 7.5x2.25 vanilla RC and 5" rockers- no spring, jumped up and down with full body weight. The vanilla RC had a much smaller BO bumper too. No contact, so I figured it was good. Took it down to Moab and rode porc rim, amasa and a bunch of optional hucks, still no issues. A few weeks later I noticed a big dent in my seatstay bridge. :madman:

The only way to really be sure is to take the shock off and hold the shock mounting eyelets 5-1/2" apart. I think you will find that BO bumper is all that's preventing metal-on-metal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,018 Posts
FM said:
I would be really careful with that. I did the same test with my 7.5x2.25 vanilla RC and 5" rockers- no spring, jumped up and down with full body weight. The vanilla RC had a much smaller BO bumper too. No contact, so I figured it was good. Took it down to Moab and rode porc rim, amasa and a bunch of optional hucks, still no issues. A few weeks later I noticed a big dent in my seatstay bridge. :madman:

The only way to really be sure is to take the shock off and hold the shock mounting eyelets 5-1/2" apart. I think you will find that BO bumper is all that's preventing metal-on-metal.
...when the shaft (stroke) length is increased by the same amount as the I2I length, you risk no contact at all....it is only when the stroke increase is greater than overal shock length increase. In this case, the net overall length increase is greater so there is no risk at all (if all specs listed are actual) ;)
 

·
It's a Turner!
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have for $400. I would have just gotten a riser stem. Anyway I have problems with my 66sl - oil is getting into the negative air chamber.

CRAZY FRED said:
Would have looked a lot better if you bought my 07 66sl HaHa.BTW sold to one of my boys for 400 bucks.A three ride 07 66sl for 400 bucks,maybe I am crazy after all....Those wheels are sweet,Spinengry sent me mine about a week ago.For those who don't know those are Spinergy new 07 24 spoke all mountain wheel set (1800 grams.)They are crazy sweet,The spokes are like the size of three spokes in one.Not a freeride or DH wheel set.Full retail is about $860.00 I;m sure I can do much better if any one is interested.PM me....
 

·
It's a Turner!
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me guess - overdamped? I bet if you took it apart and just removed some of the shims (or all of them) you could improve its performance. I thought it felt best on the larger drops. So I'm going to try a 600lb spring on the CCDB and AVY and compare the two.

FoShizzle said:
agreed.....of all the times I rode the CCDB, I have nothing good to say about it
 

·
%$#$*!
Joined
·
811 Posts
sirbikesalot said:
I would have for $400. I would have just gotten a riser stem. Anyway I have problems with my 66sl - oil is getting into the negative air chamber.
What's going on with your 66sl? How did oil get in the neg chamber? All these reports of air fork failure makes me feel like I'm riding a time bomb.
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
FM said:
...The only way to really be sure is to take the shock off and hold the shock mounting eyelets 5-1/2" apart. I think you will find that BO bumper is all that's preventing metal-on-metal.
Yep, been there, done that:


FM said:
My bad- I missed that you are increasing the i1i as well- you should be fine!
Hehe, I don't remember much before coffee either. :D
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Would have looked a lot better if you bought my 07 66sl HaHa.BTW sold to one of my boys for 400 bucks.A three ride 07 66sl for 400 bucks,maybe I am crazy after all....Those wheels are sweet,Spinengry sent me mine about a week ago.For those who don't know those are Spinergy new 07 24 spoke all mountain wheel set (1800 grams.)They are crazy sweet,The spokes are like the size of three spokes in one.Not a freeride or DH wheel set.Full retail is about $860.00 I;m sure I can do much better if any one is interested.PM me....
It's raining high end shocks lately. Nice Avy score SBA!!

CF - 1800g all mtn wheels? Kinda porky next to the 1685g, 32 spoke I9 Enduro wheels. :p
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
SSINGA said:
It's raining high end shocks lately. Nice Avy score SBA!!

CF - 1800g all mtn wheels? Kinda porky next to the 1685g, 32 spoke I9 Enduro wheels. :p
yeah, wazzup with that fred....i thought those spokes were carbon on top of it!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top