Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuiding a friends older bike. I know I have to replace almost everything drivetrain wise, but I am hoping to keep the hubs. Thoughts??
Greg
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,726 Posts
You will need....

Gravy said:
I am rebuiding a friends older bike. I know I have to replace almost everything drivetrain wise, but I am hoping to keep the hubs. Thoughts??
Greg
Shifters, cassette, chain, r derailleur pullies and a new freehub body for the hub at a bare minimum.

7spd hubs cannot accept a 9spd cassette but freehub bodies are relatively cheap and easy to install. You will just need to order a 8/9spd freehub body.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Most likely no. The 9 (nor 8) speed cassette will not fit on the 7 speed freehub. There is a chance you can remove the freehub from the hub and replace it with a 9 speed compatible unit.

You also need to ensure his frame was designed with 135mm spacing, but unless the bike is older than early '90s vintage, the shouldn't be a problem.
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Shayne said:
Shifters, cassette, chain, r derailleur pullies and a new freehub body for the hub at a bare minimum.

7spd hubs cannot accept a 9spd cassette but freehub bodies are relatively cheap and easy to install. You will just need to order a 8/9spd freehub body.
Little more than that most likely. If it's an older (or cheaper) 7sp, chances are the rear wheel has a freewheel and not a freehub. If that's the case you'll need a new wheel.

7sp hubs are narrower than 9sp. Your frame may be too narrow for a 9sp. You can spread the frame or just jam the wheel in. But this can create problems.

I would replace the entire rear derailleur. For the cost of pullies you could probably get a new LX derailleur.

Might need a new front derailleur too. The older 7sp derailleur may be too wide to shift the narrower 9sp chain. With gripshifts you can get by cause you can trim the front shifting. But with shimano triggers you could have a hard time.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
tlg said:
Little more than that most likely. If it's an older (or cheaper) 7sp, chances are the rear wheel has a freewheel and not a freehub. If that's the case you'll need a new wheel.

7sp hubs are narrower than 9sp. Your frame may be too narrow for a 9sp. You can spread the frame or just jam the wheel in. But this can create problems.

I would replace the entire rear derailleur. For the cost of pullies you could probably get a new LX derailleur.

Might need a new front derailleur too. The older 7sp derailleur may be too wide to shift the narrower 9sp chain. With gripshifts you can get by cause you can trim the front shifting. But with shimano triggers you could have a hard time.
You may be mixing your posts up. The guy with the pullies was a different post asking about a cracked frame. This guy has already committed to replacing the drivetrain and is only asking about the hubs.

The 130 to 135 OLD spacing conversion began in 1990 or 1991, although I do recall working on a friend's '94 Fisher Montare aluminum hardtail that had 130 spacing. I can't recall working on any 7 speed freewheels, either -- just 6. I know the 7's are out there, but I'm thinking the whole freehub movement began in ernest with the 7 speed rear ends and that the majority were freehub cassettes.
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
You may be mixing your posts up. The guy with the pullies was a different post asking about a cracked frame. This guy has already committed to replacing the drivetrain and is only asking about the hubs.
Nope, I was replying to shayne (see above). He mentioned replacing the pullies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question?

These are Pulstar(sp?) hubs and I do not know a thing about them. Are they still in business, can I get a different hub body?? I am hoping they use Shimano, but I am not holding my breath! I think the spacing is fine, it is a Parkpre from the early 90's, in fair shape, the guy wants to get back into riding and would like to use the frame, but I may steer him into a new mid level hardtail. The guy needs low maintenance, I looked at the bike the other day and the drive side crank was about to fall off, and he did not notice it even though he rode it a couple of days before!!
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
tlg said:
Nope, I was replying to shayne (see above). He mentioned replacing the pullies.
Ah, gotcha. That's funny, some other guy just posted in a different thread about replacing worn out pullies, in addition to just about everything else on his bike, including the frame.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top