Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I just got a new wheelset but I'm still running a 7speed cassette so I also bought a 7 speed spacer but when I try to install the cassette it really doesn't fit all the way because on the back of the cassette there are 3 little nubs sticking out the back (from the bolts holding it together I would guess) so if I try to tighten the lockright the "nubs" dig into the spacer and bend the crap out of it....is there something Im doing wrong or what?....any ideas would be great cause Im going through withdrawl not being able to ride!

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SenorLoco said:
Alright so I just got a new wheelset but I'm still running a 7speed cassette so I also bought a 7 speed spacer but when I try to install the cassette it really doesn't fit all the way because on the back of the cassette there are 3 little nubs sticking out the back (from the bolts holding it together I would guess) so if I try to tighten the lockright the "nubs" dig into the spacer and bend the crap out of it....is there something Im doing wrong or what?....any ideas would be great cause Im going through withdrawl not being able to ride!

Thanks,
Adam
Ok I did some thinking I I figure if I remove the bolts holding the cassette together everything will fit fine...will I run into any problems with nothing actually holding the cassette together (or maybe this is actually how its suppose to be done)...anyone with info would be great!

Thanks,
Adam

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well, I don't have a particular solution for you, but last year I finally updated my old road bike and tried to swap all my 7speed stuff over. I gave in and got a new rear hub, due to the rear spacing (old frame 126, new 130), but I tried to still run the 7 speed stuff. That's when I noticed my 7sp cogs had those little bolt heads that you mentioned interfering with the spacer I'd gotten. I worried that the nubs would take the spacer out eventually too.

I took the bolts out of the cassettes (I had a very small wrench set that I'd never used until this), which allowed the flush sitting of the spacer and even screwed around with making my own weird cassettes (as I had a couple old 7 sp around) but didn't use them for long. Upgraditis took over and I gave in and got a set of 9 speed shifters (still downtube, tho) and a derailleur and cogset as I found some irresistable deals. Just curious, what components you running for that 7 sp?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.