Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such thing as a 7 speed chainring or are they the same as 8 and 9 speed chainrings?

I know there are differences in chains and cassettes, but I can't seem to find much info on chainrings. Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
dyurcik said:
Is there such thing as a 7 speed chainring or are they the same as 8 and 9 speed chainrings?

I know there are differences in chains and cassettes, but I can't seem to find much info on chainrings. Hmmm....
The 7 speed chainrings are the same as the 8 speed stuff. The 7 and 8 speed cranks have a larger spacing between the chainrings than the 9 speed stuff. The small ring will be the same on all 7/8/9 but the middle ring will have a larger bulit in offset on the 7/8 speed vs the 9 speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glad someone knows

GearHead said:
The 7 speed chainrings are the same as the 8 speed stuff. The 7 and 8 speed cranks have a larger spacing between the chainrings than the 9 speed stuff. The small ring will be the same on all 7/8/9 but the middle ring will have a larger bulit in offset on the 7/8 speed vs the 9 speed.
Thanks for resolving that for me. I'm working on a Frankenstein bike and I'm trying to figure which "correct" parts I'll need to buy. I've bought far too many parts that were incompatible (in one way or another) to just keep doing this to myself.
I always thought bikes were great because they were simple. Once you start getting into it though you realize that there are a million variables to get snagged on. Sheesh.

Long live the mtbr forum.
Thanks again.
-D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
fyi-
lots of info on the sheldonbrown.com site on this sort of stuff as well as parts.

dyurcik said:
Thanks for resolving that for me. I'm working on a Frankenstein bike and I'm trying to figure which "correct" parts I'll need to buy. I've bought far too many parts that were incompatible (in one way or another) to just keep doing this to myself.
I always thought bikes were great because they were simple. Once you start getting into it though you realize that there are a million variables to get snagged on. Sheesh.

Long live the mtbr forum.
Thanks again.
-D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sheldon's site...

logbiter said:
fyi-
lots of info on the sheldonbrown.com site on this sort of stuff as well as parts.
sheldon's site is great, but i wasn't able to find any info on the above topic on his site. maybe it's too specific an issue.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
dyurcik said:
sheldon's site is great, but i wasn't able to find any info on the above topic on his site. maybe it's too specific an issue.
Did you get some new rings already?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.