Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about get these wheels for my 2010 7 speed Hardrock: CLICK

It says "8/9 speed compatible". Will my 7 speed cassette fit, or is this going to be the reason for me going 9 speed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Can a 7 speed hardrock be changed to 8 or 9 speed cassette? If so, what would be required, and if not, how come? Is there anything wrong with 7speed?
OLD 7 speed bikes may be a different spacing. If you own a bike made in the last 10 years, nothing to worry about. If it's a mid 90's bike - then you might need to measure.

Otherwise it is as simple as pulling a spacer (if it is on the hub), changing a cassette, rear shifter, and the chain too (because if you're changing the cassette and shifters, the chain is just probably due for it.)

The biggest difference between 7 and 8 speed is an extra step. Gear ranges were pretty much the same. (8 to 9 had a few extra teeth available on the big gear, but otherwise same story as 7 -> 8 ).

I'd consider even going from 7 -> 9. It will be easier to get 9 speed parts than 8 speed. And you should not have any extra parts required.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, I was referring to a 2012 specialized hardrock disc 29er. It shows that it comes with a 7speed rear, is there anything 'wrong' with that and should I change it out? I saw an upgrade someone posted that is good for that bike, and it was like 89$, and was the front 3 chain rings/gears (not sure on all this terminology yet) and the pedal brackets and i guess the bearing that goes through the frame? I think this is called the drivetrain, or bottom bracket? What Would I need to change all of this, any recommendations? I am mechanically inclined (I am an automotive technician, with my degree in auto repair) but am not sure of all the bike components yet and what is what. I have no problem with changing it out myself though.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ok, I was referring to a 2012 specialized hardrock disc 29er. It shows that it comes with a 7speed rear, is there anything 'wrong' with that and should I change it out? I saw an upgrade someone posted that is good for that bike, and it was like 89$, and was the front 3 chain rings/gears (not sure on all this terminology yet) and the pedal brackets and i guess the bearing that goes through the frame? I think this is called the drivetrain, or bottom bracket? What Would I need to change all of this, any recommendations? I am mechanically inclined (I am an automotive technician, with my degree in auto repair) but am not sure of all the bike components yet and what is what. I have no problem with changing it out myself though.
No real reason the change it until it wears out or breaks.

Not need to touch the crankset in the upgrade unless it is worn out, too.

parktool.com has great tutorials for bike repair and terminology.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Can a 7 speed hardrock be changed to 8 or 9 speed cassette? If so, what would be required, and if not, how come? Is there anything wrong with 7speed?
You need an 8 or 9 speed right hand shifter, an 8 or 9 speed cassette, and an 8 or 9 speed chain.

The big problem, as alluded to above, is with spacing - confirm this for yourself, but what I've been hearing about the 7-speed Hardrock is that the hub is spaced for a 7-speed cassette. So it won't accept an 8 or 9 speed cassette. They're wider. It might be possible to change out the freehub body and play with the spacing on the left side of the hub, then re-dish the wheel.

I wouldn't bother. I'd ride the bike as a 7-speed unless the stuff to change it fell into my lap. However, if I bought new wheels, I'd get the ones with the wider 8/9/10-speed freehub, to give me a little better flexibility in future. Basically what the OP was asking about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Guys, I also have a Hardrock 29er with disc, 2011 model. I am so lost and i think im asking the same question above and i need help on upgrading my setup, also a 7 speed. i am real new to this stuff so i don't really know much, so please bare with me. i just remember hearing the guy say it has 7 in the back 3 in the front, it came with an x3 sram derailer and that's about all i know. can i go to a 9 speed , how can i tell what size my cassette is do i have to upgrade the derailer and shifters. i mainly ride this to work now so mainly right now speed is what i'm going for, i just ordered some halo twin rail 29er tires and have no idea what else i can do to my bike. thanks for listening to the newbie ramble hope i make a lil sense.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the rear hub is like my 26er was, which I'm sure it is, you can only run a 7 speed cassette because of the shallow hub depth unless you get a different wheelset. Going to 9 speed won't necessarily give you more speed, just more gears in between. If more top speed is all you're looking for, there are 7 speed road cassettes that will get you an 11 tooth rear. Here's one that should work for >$13 plus shipping. If it's just a commuter going 9 speed will not be worth the coin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you guys for the info, that is probably what I will do then.
I wish I would have know about this site before I bought my bike, but for my first one I think it's a good bike to learn on for a beginner. Thank you guys again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is shimano the only one tht makes the 7-28 casette or does SRAM or anyone else offer a setup just as good or a lil better. I'm sure tht ones fine I think I'm just getting to excited and trying to over build when I shouldn't be.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Why are you buying a cassette? With a '11 bike, you should be good for a year or two.

qbp.com has their full catalog on their site. It's not quite every bike product that exists, but it's pretty representative of what's readily available, aside from a few boutique parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not buying one yet, but i am wanting to learn what I am able to do to this bike when it's ready for parts, seeing what is available and learn what parts do what. My earlier post I said that I mainly ride this bike to work, I just starred recently been riding for about a month. I think I'm just overwhelmed and excited feeling like a kid again wanting all sorts of things ya know. Should have my street tires I ordered today. Just trying to roll smoother and be a lil faster is all without going into the road bike territory.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
New bikes are fun. :) As long as you're using it as a mode of transportation, stick with direct replacement of parts that wear out or break, and you should have a reliable bike and inexpensive, headache free ownership experience. Check out a few threads in the drivetrain forum and you'll see what I mean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.