Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
thin blue line
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my new wheel set in the mail today. They are Sun Rhinolyte w/ XT hubs 8/9. My bike is a 7 speed so I ordered a 7 speed Shimano cassette and a 4.5 mm spacer so that the cassette could be used with the 8/9 speed wheel. I installed the spacer, the cassette, and the two loose cogs and upon doing so, I noticed that on the backside (towards hub) of the cassette, there are two protrusions. These two protrusions sit upon the spacer, which in turn results in the cassette not seating properly. In addition, the cassette lock ring does not seat far enough on the cassette to thread. Should I dare file the spacer to accommodate for the protrusions or are there different spacers out there? Please help, I cannot stand to ride on those single wall rims a day more. Thanks.

·
thin blue line
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oldskoolbiker said:
I think you need to post a picture of this one. It's hard to understand what the "protrusions" you're talking about are.
I would oldskoolbiker, but my computer skills are just about the same as my bicycle mechanic skills. Lack luster. After searching around on the web, namely Sheldon Brown's site, I've come to the possible conclusion that the protrusions are actually the rivets which hold the five largest sprockets together. Also, after I fiddled with the whole set up a bit, I was able to get the lock ring to thread, but only a little. The amount it is threading does not seem near enough though and I fear that once stressed, it would probably strip out. Thanks.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about, you got two options.

Option #1, if the cassette is held together by bolts (many are), just remove the bolts and slide the cassette onto the freehub body piece by piece.

Option #2, if you can't take the cassette apart, you can file/grind the spacer in the locations of the bolts/rivets until the spacer can fit flush against the rest of the cassette.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.