Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
7 Sisters!My favorite trail.It is with the pavement warm-up a super under 10mi. ride.
Start at the Nat.Forest campground-ride back towards 77-you will get warmed for the 1st climb.Look for the trailhead sign-couple of miles(sorry-i dont use a comp on my mtb)turn right-climb-climb,yep climb.At the top turn right again-sweet singletrack goodness!It has a shale base-drains well-even in rain is ok.You will soon hit a climb/push-go for it!
See how far you can get-mark it with a stone for next time.Note-no one can climb these short-50-100yrd climbs all the way-so just see how far you can go.Each of these "sisters"
is a *****.But after-a sweet singletrack-real single track-under 1ft wide-slight downhill-like surffing,like a roller coaster-it is just sweet!I wont tell how many there are,just keep going till is starts off the ridge.The 1st 1/2 mi. has some pushing,but then-it is now all downhill-and in 2mi. makes up for all the pushing!Be careful the 1st time-this ridge is very narrow-not a clif-but a bail highside is 30+ft.
At the bottom you are back at the camp ground-eat,drink-do again!!

Bz

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
For a mega ride-park at campground(just on the roadside is where i do-717)go down to 52-go up big walker mt-turn right on top onto gravel road- it goes a long the ridge for at least 12mi.Then it does a down hill for over 6mi!Yep,big hill!You have to stop and shake out finger cramps.Comes out at a church-turn right again on 717-go in to 7Sisters trail-do as above.Gives a 30+ mile day-about 6000ft total climbs-maybe more.
Email if you want some locals to go with on weekends!
Bz

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is not technical, more of a climbing work out. With a couple of the Sisters being steep, really steep. As 29buzz said it has some fun singletrack depending on which way you ride it. I would say if you are close check it out. If you have to drive far then either skip it or include it with something else in the area. That 30mile ride sounds like it may be worth it.

·
i ride a bicycle
156 Posts
good discription of 7 sisters by 29buzz
The downhill (locals call turkey turnpike) 29buzz mentions off of rt 52 /top of walker mtn is also worth doing if in area,shuttle from church for DOWNHILLERS (you can go drive in to big bend picnic area parking to save bout 2 mile climb),climb from church for workout or loop w/ 7 sisters as buzz said
more TECHNICAL trails in speedwell area of county - not much info / others ?
nice CROSS COUNTRY trails on round mtn/bland va park @ powerline crossing on round mtn road off of rt 52 / bastian va

·
i ride a bicycle
156 Posts
5 of us cleared 7 Sisters Saturday.All of it in great shape now.We cleared down trees(left some logs to clear !),cut back brush,raked leaves and sticks etc. Best shape i ve ever seen these trails in !! Bad news is she still mocks me for not being able to clean all the climbs !! HA HA HA try again noodle legs she wispers ! Thanks to :Dave,Mark,Rick and Bill

·
Registered
551 Posts
mtbbc,

would you show me around the wytheville area sometime? really interested in the area. rode with some guys at kerr scott reservior who were from w-ville. sounds like some good stuff.

which bike would be better? All-mtn hardtail or seven inch freeride bike? if the downhills are realllly fast id prefer the 7 inch bike..

Matt

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
Thanks Todd-we were wondering how the snow left the sisters!

Matt-the 7 Sisters is fastest on rigid bikes-or hardtails at least! But if you do the Big Walker run-a 7in would rock!! You will hate the 1st 5 or so miles(uphills) but rock the downhill-it is a creekbed with rock gap jumps in places.

·
i ride a bicycle
156 Posts
Matt
Any time you re gonna be in the area give us a couple days notice ,any of us would be glad to show you around.I am back on a hardtail after a couple years on f/s.I think the 7 in would be overkill for the Sisters but part of Big Walker would be a hoot on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.