Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here are a few questions for the 7 point crew.
I am riding a Turner RFX right now. It is my 'one' bike. Unreal bike, but kind of a Jack of all trades. When I ride with m xc friends it is a lot of bike to hall around, and when ride with my FR friends I feel it lacks a bit the way I have it set up. I would like to get a FR rig and a XC rig. Pretty much set on a used Turner 5 spot for the XC rig...although the new MK111 sounds sweet. FR still up in the air....7point, VPX (pricey), Highline @7.25"(pricey). I don't need over 7 inches of travel, but I would like the FR geometry and feel.

Now on to my questions.
What will be the majoor difference between the 7point and the RFX? Is the extra inch noticeable? I am running the rfx with a 66sl at about 160mm of travel. this is the fork i would put on the 7 point, but set at 170mm.

More importantly will the 7 point geomtry feel slacker and better for the downhills? I will still peddle up most of the time, but would like to really enjoy the DH.

Is this a worthy upgrade? I could always just keep the RFX and set up with beefier wheels and tires, set the fork at 170, and shorten the stem.

Thanks for any answers. Anyone who has ridden both would be a great help. The DW suspension sounds killer.

If I did go the for the 7 point, where can a get the best deal on a frame only. I live in SoCal.

thanks to all.
TG

·
Registered
259 Posts
There's gptta be someone here that has ridden both bikes and can help you out.
I've never been on an RFX, so I can't help there.

I can tell you that I use my 7point7 as my "one bike."
In xc or "all mountain" applications, it is a bit too heavy, but manageable for me.
But, it does work very well in the DH mode. When riding with the DH crowd, I never fell that my bike is "not enough." For "real" DH use, alot people feel the HA should be slacker.
I do climb alot on this bike to access the fun trails- yes its slow and heavy, but the geometry and DW link really help things along.

I'm using a 66rc2x up front, bike wieighs about 41 pounds.

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
My vote would be to raise that 66 SL to 170 and try some 2.5 tires first:

I can't tell from the pic what size tires you are running. If that works for you then look into some 823 or 6.1d rims.

If not then look in to the 7Point, VPX, Highline, etc.

If down the road you want to get a 7Point, give Tani @ The Path a ring. I would think he could work a frame only deal with you.
Edit: They are also very experienced with 7Point builds and know the bike's quirks.

(He does have an 05 medium 7Point7 frame in stock.)

No sure what part of Socal you are in, but Thursday nights is usually the 7Point rally @ Santiago Oaks, Orange, CA.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I've ridden both and wouldn't trade my 7Point for any RFX/6Pack. In my opinion The DW link works much better - both for pedalling and descending. Heck, my 7Point/Sunday/MkIII seems to work better the faster you go.

I felt like I was too high on the RFX I rode – just wasn’t comfortable on that bike. It felt okay on flat, but really didn’t feel good while going down steep techy stuff.

I heart my IH’s – wouldn’t want to ride anything else at this point in time. Lately I’ve been spending a lot of time on my MK – you would have to cut my arms/hands off to pry that bike out of my hands..

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Winston

Winston,
Thanks for all the posts.
I shortened the stem a bit, and will be slapping on some bigger rubber. I need to build up a new rear wheel. My current DH rear wheel is done.

I have been to the Path once. Great shop! I couldn't believe there inventory. I am currnently living down south in Dana Point. Once it cools off a bit I would be stoked to hook up with you guys for a ride. I grew up riding in the Santa Monicas, so still not very familiar with all the Orange County riding. I have been riding Aliso and the San Juan trail. I need it to cool of a bit! Too hot!

Thanks,
TIM

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn You!

That's not what I wanted to hear. Winston gave me good, sound advice. It would keep my spending in check. Now you post here and have me thinking again. :eek:

I will probably ride my current ride for the next few months, and see what comes out for '07. It's not like I have a crappy bike right now. I do agree with the fact that it feels a bit tall, fine for the trail, but a bit sketchy on the really steeps.

We'll see.
thanks guys,
TG

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've ridden both, my friend has an RFX and we swap bikes for the occasional blast. His RFX is really tall, the BB is quite high with the 6" plates. I also find the HA quite steep, steep than the 7Point. The rear suspension on the RFX does work well when I've ridden it and it does seem smooth, its just the handling that doesn't do it for me. My 7Point really works well, climbs great for a bike at that weight, descends amazingly, the rear suspension action is really very impressive. I used to ride an M1 and I find that ripping on the 7Point is more inspiring. It's a solid bike with a stiff chassis. The most impressive thing about this bike is on the naggery tech stuff. Sure it's a big travel bike, but when I'm on a tech skinny on the north shore, the bike reacts to minor pedal inputs solidly which is really important in those situations. It even jumps well, I was boosting the tables on A-line last week, which was really surprising. My M1 used to like to fly low, the 7Point just likes to fly.
Winston does have a point though, you could change a few things on the current ride to make it work better for you. Having said that... I'd really start saving for a 7Point and look to shift the stable around soon to make room for it.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Danno would be a good choice to talk to. Like Winston said he has a RFX and one or more of his buddies ride the DW link bikes. I would like to try one out someday, I did ride a VPX Uzzi for a summer and like the way it pedalled. But as a "one bike only" it was just to heavy and thats what Im afraid about with the 7.7. The new Highline looks good and several of the homers have them set up with a DHX Air shock and single crown forks that weigh close to the RFX. Check your PM's too.

BTW, Danno the drop junkie and crew are taking a road trip up the 395 for a weeks worth of riding so he probably wont be able to chime in for a week or so.

·
Registered
356 Posts
G-AIR said:
I have been to the Path once. Great shop! I couldn't believe there inventory. I am currnently living down south in Dana Point. Once it cools off a bit I would be stoked to hook up with you guys for a ride. I grew up riding in the Santa Monicas, so still not very familiar with all the Orange County riding. I have been riding Aliso and the San Juan trail. I need it to cool of a bit! Too hot!

Thanks,
TIM
G-AIR,
Hey man I live in Ladera Ranch, just up the road from you. If you can fit on a M HL, you're more than welcome to ride mine.
Built by the Path

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Guys,
Thanks for all the great info. Definatley a tough decision.

Rodel, I would buy a Large, but I might hit you up to take a quick spin on your bike sometime. Tanks for the offer.

Jonboy, I think you pretty much nailed it. I will probably try a couple different things on the RFX, and see how it goes. I would like to trade that frame for a 5 spot, and then upgrade to a bigger bike.

Drumstix, what are you riding now?

Thanks Again,
TG

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
G-AIR said:
Guys,
Thanks for all the great info. Definatley a tough decision.

Rodel, I would buy a Large, but I might hit you up to take a quick spin on your bike sometime. Tanks for the offer.

Jonboy, I think you pretty much nailed it. I will probably try a couple different things on the RFX, and see how it goes. I would like to trade that frame for a 5 spot, and then upgrade to a bigger bike.

Drumstix, what are you riding now?

Thanks Again,
TG
Currently I have a 06 RFX built more for local trails, fox Van36, I-9 wheelset with 2.35 tires.
I think if I wanted to make the RFX more of a FR or big hit bike I would go for a 170mm 66 RC2X or a SL. Wheels would be fine, perhaps a 2.5 front tire. Every thing else I have would work fine on a FR bike, but yet light enough for a all day riding bike. If I go to a Highline, I would try the "Highlite" approch with the shorter DHX-Air shock and single crown fork. I think airwreak has one built like this and its weighing about 35 pounds. I dont really need the strength of the frame or the extra travel, what I want is the slacker geometry for the steep crudola and rock gardens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.