Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been toying with the idea of downsizing the fleet, I'm currently riding a Yeti 575 for crosscounty-traily-all mountainy kinds of riding, and an old Foes DHS for Downhill, and have been thinking about getting one bike to replace the two of them. I've had wood for the VP free for a while, but they're just such a PITA to get hold of here, not to mention the sticker price.

The 7 point looks like a good contender, but can anyone tell me how much the frame weighs? I'd be interested to hear how light anyone has been able to build one too.

Also, what are the differences between the model years? If I was to get one, I'd probably try pick up a frame 2nd hand, and do my own build on it. I understand some of the earlier ones had 5th element shocks, do they all run the same eye to eye/stroke shock?

...and dare I ask, how does the DW system compare to VPP? :ihih:

And most important of all, whats the ride like? I guess being steeper than a dh bike they're a little less stable at speed? Can you grunt them up a hill well enough if you're feeling committed? Do you feel limited at all on the downs? I'm looking to arrange a test ride but it might be a way off yet. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
The 7point is a fantastic all around bike. I love mine.

My '05 frame weighs more than the '07 or '08 frames. I have mine down to just over 40lbs. with heavy wheels, big tires, and big brakes. Everything else is reasonably light weight (Gamut, Ti spring, Thomson parts, etc.). I could probably get it down to 38lbs. if I went with single ply tires and lighter rims.

They climb exceptionally well for a big bike. Much better than almost any DH frame.

The DW-link is super reliable, unlike the creaky-VPP of the Santa Cruz/Intense frames.

The new 7point frames are about a pound lighter than the old '05-'06 frames.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, good stuff! That compares pretty well to a VPfree, which I think is 9.5lbs woth shock, but no headset.

Hey, the Geo on the website, is that based on a 66 fork? Anyone know the axel to crown measurement?

·
Hey, that's recyclable!
52 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Olga_icannot said:
Hope this helps. Thinking of making a trip to NZ in January, if you're still on the fence then you can borrow my bike.
Cheers, thats really helpful. Yeah chances are I will still be on the fence then, the plan is to maybe get a bike like this built up for about a years time from now, so I can take it up to whistler for a holiday in the middle of our winter!

If you come through Christchurch (which you definitely should if you're coming to NZ, all the best riding is in the south island!), send me a message and I'll take you for some missions round the trails!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What kind of climbs do you do on the 575? I ride my 7p3 uphill when I have to, but only when I have to. Today's 4000' climb on my other bike is not something I'd attempt on my 7p3. The suspension pedals well and climbs nicely in short bursts, but on long climbs you just can't avoid the weight.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, nothing too much. The trail network here runs along the top of the hills that I live at the bottom of, it's about a 1500' climb to the top, then just rolling trails till you start coming down. I have a hardtail I could use if I was going on a mission that needed a lot of climbing.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Mine sits at 47lbs
Photobucket

Light parts:
Thomson post
Ti Spring
Gamut G25

Everything else: aka Heavy
Roco RC
888RC
2.7 minion 2.35 909
and the LOVE seat :rolleyes:
blah blah blah

Its heavy.
But if I dropped the 888 and got a 66 or Totem, got a lighter wheelset, new cranks, it could easily be dropped to 40lbs or so.

With the 888 slacked out it feels like a downhill bike (geo wise) it makes you want to plow, but you have to realize that your on a big hit FR bike. Which I still cant get into my head. Last weekend at North Star I busted 3 spokes and finally killed my DU bushings and hardware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.