Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 7 point 3. I am 190 lbs and the rear shock has a 300lb spring. It feels way to soft for me. I want to get a new spring, but I don't know how heavy of a spring to get. Any suggestions help. I usually only do 6 to 8 foot drops max.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, I had the same problem. So instead of spending 50 or 60 bucks on a new spring, I picked up a Progressive 5th Element shock from www.santacruzbicycles.com for $100 way better shock than the stock Metel RP on your bike, it will fit the 8.75 x 2.75 rear on the 7points. That's what i did and I'm much happier with my 7point.

cheers

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Rachid said:
Hey, I had the same problem. So instead of spending 50 or 60 bucks on a new spring, I picked up a Progressive 5th Element shock from www.santacruzbicycles.com for $100 way better shock than the stock Metel RP on your bike, it will fit the 8.75 x 2.75 rear on the 7points. That's what i did and I'm much happier with my 7point.

cheers
The problem with the shocks from Santa Cruz is that they are valved for VPP bikes, which need a lot more compression damping than dw-link to deliver bob-free performance. The end result with the VPP shock on a dw-link is a bike that wn't be able to react to small bumps well. It will feel harsh.

Only run a 5th element or DHX with a specific dw-link tune (reduced low-speed compression) to get the best performance from a dw-link bike.

Dave

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
darenp said:
I have a 2006 7 point 3. I am 190 lbs and the rear shock has a 300lb spring. It feels way to soft for me. I want to get a new spring, but I don't know how heavy of a spring to get. Any suggestions help. I usually only do 6 to 8 foot drops max.
You will feel great on a 350 lb spring. If you are a harsh lander, you could go for a 400#, but you are going to sacrifice traction in the corners and on climbs. With the 350 a good rider at your weight will be able to hit the big drops and have all the traction in the world.

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
62 Posts
my experience is IH is not providing shocks (at least with the 2006 7 points) that have a reduced amount of compresion damping. I would say they are actaully very heavily damped when compared to my other VPP shocks.
My son and his friend both bought 7 points for DH riding at Whistler. They are little guys so the 300lb springs are too heavy but the bikes felt way over damped even to my my 210lb frame. I felt bad for the kid (he could barely get the suspension to move) so i took the shock of my VP-free and installed it on his 7 point and the difference was amazing. It turned a very stiff bike into a bump eating machine. To be clear the problem is not the DW-link but the overly damped shocks IH is providing with them.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I'm 6' and 160-165.

I was riding the super basic 5th with a 300# spring, and I loved it.

My biggest complaint was that the little bumps weren't soaked up. But the big ones... WOW. Even at my weight, I get a full 7" out of that bike.

But my new DHX... well... DHX FTW.

That's all I have to say about that.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
I also have an 06 7point3. The rear shox is alittle harsh for me. (at 105 lbs at 5'8") I dont exactly have the cash to upgrade. Its good for the big hits but the small stuff it almost feels like a HT (cause I dont weigh enough) What would be a good shox to get in the future? Im thinking used DHX, 5th element.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
I also have an 06 7point3. The rear shox is alittle harsh for me. (at 105 lbs at 5'8") I dont exactly have the cash to upgrade. Its good for the big hits but the small stuff it almost feels like a HT (cause I dont weigh enough) What would be a good shox to get in the future? Im thinking used DHX, 5th element.
First you should try a lighter spring with your shock. Preloading a lighter spring a few turns tighter to keep the sag the same as you like is not an issue if the spring is long enough (about 1/4 inch or more longer than stroke).

If you get another shock I'd think the Roco World Cup would be smoother over smaller bumps than the DHX or other more platform type shocks. The Roco has great reviews here for the 7P and Sunday. Also your Manitou spring should fit. The Roco can be bought for about $285 from Alfred E. Bike and other's say they price match.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Manitou Swinger 6-Ways Santa Cruz currently has on sale for $99 is a pretty tasty upgrade for the 7-Point. It's what I'm running on mine and although I haven't had time to give it a thorough shakedown yet, it does feel considerably better than the Metal R originally on the bike. Also, it would essentially be a similar swap to what dirtdog did - a shock damped for a VPP bike on the DW-Link - and he seemed agree that the results were good.

Also, I'm 6'1", 220 lbs, Med Frame, 400 lb spring, 3 turns of preload.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
derby said:
First you should try a lighter spring with your shock. Preloading a lighter spring a few turns tighter to keep the sag the same as you like is not an issue if the spring is long enough (about 1/4 inch or more longer than stroke).

If you get another shock I'd think the Roco World Cup would be smoother over smaller bumps than the DHX or other more platform type shocks. The Roco has great reviews here for the 7P and Sunday. Also your Manitou spring should fit. The Roco can be bought for about $285 from Alfred E. Bike and other's say they price match.
I thought about it but the METEL isnt a great shox to start out with. A spring is what, about 30ish? I mean yeah thats cheaper thatn almost 300. I might do that. I've been thinking about it.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
At 105 lbs, you will need softer spring for any other shock too, maybe 50# lighter. The stock is for average weight riders 145 - 170 lbs. Or go to air with your next shock.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
derby said:
At 105 lbs, you will need softer spring for any other shock too, maybe 50# lighter. The stock is for average weight riders 145 - 170 lbs. Or go to air with your next shock.
I really do not want to go air. But I think Im going to order a new spring. Does anyone know where I can get a 250?

·
Registered
11 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
I really do not want to go air. But I think Im going to order a new spring. Does anyone know where I can get a 250?
I just got one from bikeparts.com and they had it to me in two days.

What spring comes stock with an large '06'? It was too light for my fat azz so I had to go stiffer. I'll check when I get home later and if it's a 250 I'll give it to you for free if you pay to ship.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Free X-Rays said:
I just got one from bikeparts.com and they had it to me in two days.

What spring comes stock with an large '06'? It was too light for my fat azz so I had to go stiffer. I'll check when I get home later and if it's a 250 I'll give it to you for free if you pay to ship.
If Im not mistaken all the bikes come with the same spring a 300lb. I look at bikeparts thanks.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
lol!!! yeah Im only riding a spring 100lbs over :) Where am I going to find a 200lbs spring! :( I dont think the shox is THAT bad. I think Im going to replace the front shox first. Prob a Boxxer.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
wormvine said:
I hear ya!
I don't even think a 200# spring exists. I found some 250# springs but not in the 2.75 stroke.

Boxxer's cool.
Im just looking for a fork that can do dual duty both FR and DH. I ride more FR than DH but it needs to be able to do both. And for the money I dont think you can go wrong with a boxxer. Any other sugestions? :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Im just looking for a fork that can do dual duty both FR and DH. I ride more FR than DH but it needs to be able to do both. And for the money I dont think you can go wrong with a boxxer. Any other sugestions?
Boxxer Ride I heard is good. Adjustable travel as well. RS stopped making the ride but you might be able to find it still for sale like here:
http://www.harborcountrybike.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=134244

Another good Dual Crown is Marz' 888 SL ATA or RC2X
A cheaper alternative is the Marz Super T

Manitou Dorado DH Suspension Fork '05 closeout:
http://pricepoint.com/detail/13646-315_ANSDH5-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/Manitou-Dorado-DH-Suspension-Fork-'05.htm

My single crown choice would be the 66SL ATA or RC2X

I just found this 3.0x200# spring at BikeParts.com
http://bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC113554
I dont know if you need it but I was bored...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.