Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Yeah, yeah, another "I want a DH bike that can pedal" thread.

In short, I have a Blindside (built up fairly nice: 888 WC, ROCO WC, Hadleys/Pimps, Codes) and it is an awesome bike at going down hill. That is what it is intended for and it does it's job damn well! But I'm moving to college (Bellingham, WA) and need to relook my current bike situation.

I'm looking to sell my Blindside frame/shock and replace it with something a little more "versatile" if you will?

Looking for:
Travel: 7-8" adjustable (or just 7")
Able to take an 888 for bike park days, but also a 66 and lighter wheels for the local mountain
135xXX rear hub spacing

And the kicker: something I can pedal up the hill. Doesn't mean it has to be fun, just something better than the Blindside.

I'm leaning towards the Canfield Can Diggle: 7-8", supposed to pedal fairly well, 9# with a DHX 5.0 which means I could have my DH build at 39# and my AM/FR build at like 36#.

Any other suggestions? Price isn't a huge issue, considering the Canfield is $2300....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mongoose Khyber

...is an interesting option that meets your requirements. Also the Gian Reign (normal and reign x) series was built for exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
592 Posts
corsair maelstrom
fits all your requirements except it has a 150 rear hub spacing
but i know it has dropouts so maybe its interchangeable between 135 and 150
also the bike is supposed to pedal extremely well and it has 7 inches of travel with a limitless feel because of its 2:1 stroke ratio
its priced at 1700 and is supposed to start shipping july i think

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
BaronVonBundy said:
...is an interesting option that meets your requirements. Also the Gian Reign (normal and reign x) series was built for exactly what you are talking about.
Not quite. Neither have 7 or 8 inches of travel, and neither are capable of accepting a 888 for park days.

In my opinion, I think that the Blindside is a bike that fits your needs just fine. Throw a front dérailleur on on it for $50 and spend the rest of the money on lighter components. Maybe even get an air shock with a pedal platform for those all mountain oriented trail rides.

·
Registered
255 Posts
VP Free with shorter shock option gives 7.75" can take a 888 only issue is the 150 spacing. Pedals superbly.

I think Intense bikes, still VPP have 135mm rear hub spacing options on some of their big rigs.

·
Registered
985 Posts
How about the Transition Dirtbag? Yeah it only has just under 7inches of rear travel but seems like a bike that pedals easily, has front/d capability and you can throw on that long travel 888 on park days if need be. I dont know though, Ive never ridden one but am obsessed with em and am highly considering making it my next bike when I get back to AZ

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Ok, well I vote for that as well since I have had one for a year and love it. The Dirtbag pedals great for a freeride bike, as long as it has Propedal or something similar to help it out. Mine has a SPV shock now, and next week it will be sporting a shiny new DHX 5.0 coil. Mmm, DHX-y...

But if money was no object, and I was buying a bike that fit the poster's requirements, I'd take a long, hard look at the V-Tach too! adjustable head angle, chainstays and travel make for a very versatile machine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Is price truly no object? SOCOM? Light, good pedaling, DH bike, Front derailleur compatible (I believe)... and it looks fast too!

As for the Knolly Bikes... perhaps even a Delirium-T would do the trick. I believe it has 6.7" which may or may not be enough for you.

You could also try to find a Banshee Chaparral... 06 or 07. 6/7"... 135mm spacing... pedals brilliantly... that being said, it isn't a DH bike (though it could be ridden as one if you wanted to) so the angles aren't super slack. I do like mine with 8" Boxxer. It is slack enough to be quite stable yet still handle nimbly. 9.5 pounds without shock for a 17.5" frame. No idea if that is what you would want or not.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
This one is easy. You just described the Uzzi VPX. You can order it with 150 or 135mm dropouts. 7.75 travel. Front derailuer compatible. VPP makes it a nice pedaling trailbike and it still rocks for gravity days.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
bottom line is no 7-8 inch bike is gonna pedal that great. some are better than others but if you are looking to get a FR bike that can pedal get a SX, but thats only 6 inches.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Demo 7, Foes Fly and Turner HL (if you don't mind 150MM) are all versatile bikes that weren't mentioned. The HL gets my vote, and then the Demo 7. I like Foes bikes, but their custom shocks/and I2I are kind of a hassle for anything aftermarket.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
dowst said:
SOCOM or V-Tach seem like the best options so far.

Still adamant about the dual ring though.
The SOCOM is a great ride but it's not meant to be a trailbike. The slack head angle and long wheelbase make it a bit sluggish for trail use. This is what the Uzzi is designed for. I'd also recommend the Slopestyle but the 888 would be overkill.

The V-Tach is a sweeeeet ride, but it's going to run a little heavier.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What, is it "Groundhog Day", yeah, it sure is the repeat thread but at's cool.

Marin Quake... 6.8" l ride mine with the 180mm Totem - -climbs like a freaky freak goat on crack. l have seen plenty of them built with 888's. Not my suggestion though (putting a 888 on there). We're still able to ping the 2006 CL7's out the door for $2000. (toss the stock fork, put something nicer on there, have yourself a sweet bike that can pedal). That Giant is supposed to pedal very well too although l haven't tried one yet ---- Since Per p p Perfor Performance dropped them we tried to pick up Giant but there's another shop too close to us who already put in the request (beat us to the punch). l have been on the Gran Mal (Blindsides older brother). Ug, you can't climb on that at all.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm supreised only 1 vote for the new bullit. It will work great with the 888 or 66. You can also get air or coil and has replacement dropouts for 135 or 150...

And i know you said price isn't a option but it's also only around $1300. for the frame

·
should know better.....
749 Posts
Except for the 135 spacing requirement: the Giant Glory.
With a little extra effort, not a huge amount, it'll climb anything a XC bike can climb. It just won't sprint up it, but it'll get there. Ridiculously good pedaling.
The Uzzi VPX is also a very good choice, similar pedaling.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts