Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I currently own a Rockshox Sid Race (2007), however, I've just managed to get a blackbox/wc motion control damper off of a friend so I can convert it to a lockout fork. However, according to the service manual the damper cartridge requires 5wt oil, is there any chance I could use 7,5wt oil (I have tonnes from servicing old marzocchi's). And if so what effect would this have on my damping?

Cheers!

Dan

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
parkrider said:
Hi guys, I currently own a Rockshox Sid Race (2007), however, I've just managed to get a blackbox/wc motion control damper off of a friend so I can convert it to a lockout fork. However, according to the service manual the damper cartridge requires 5wt oil, is there any chance I could use 7,5wt oil (I have tonnes from servicing old marzocchi's). And if so what effect would this have on my damping?

Cheers!

Dan
Using weight for oil is worthless...there is no consistency.

As it is, Marzocchi 7.5wt falls almost exactly between Maxima (who makes SRAM/Rock Shox Oil) 7wt and 10wt.

You will not hurt anything and depending on your weight and riding style, the heavier oil may or may not improve the performance. You would notice the most difference in the low speed damping with the heavier oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.