Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 04 Bighit Comp Used and it comes stock with a 8.75x2.5 rear shock. The guy i bought it from says that Manitou replaced the Swinger 3-way because of a defect. I dont know if they gave him the same size shock back or what. I have taken the shock out and measured the stroke and its around 2.75in and the eye-to-eye is around 9 to 8.75in. (im not completely sure how to measure the lengths so help would be helpful, lol) My question is: does anyone know how much travel i have? Or can anyone help me find out?
:???: :confused:

·
Registered
217 Posts
its most likely the same size shock, or at least it sounds like it. as for travel, those frames can be set up with 2 diff. mounts correct? both settings will support you the same ammount, but the longer setting will be more plush, and run with more sag= better for DH. the shorter setting will be slightly stiffer, and be a bit better for pedallin around. i dont know if thats what you were askin, but oh well.

Oh, and for shock measurements, they are measured from the center of each eyelet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no thats not realy what i was asking, and i need to know how to measure the stroke length, and they might not have given him the same stroke of shock because the bighit comes with an odd sized one

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
1) take shock off bike.
2) take spring off shock
3) compress shock
4) measure stroke

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
figure a 1/4 of the bumper?????????????????

·
Registered
425 Posts
to the

to the best of my knowledge your running the 7.5 inch travel settign with that shock because the stroke is 2.5.... Which is stock for the comp.

In order to attain, if I'm correct someone please chime in here.
That you will need a 2.75" stroke to get the 8.1 inches of travel.

I have both a comp and a DH and there is not a ton of difference other than the sewinger four way has a ton more adjustability and better overall feel than the swinger 3 way I currently have.

The size eye to eye for anny model I believe is 8.75"

Hope this helps,

John

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i just measured the shock and the e-e is 9" and the stroke is 2.5" if you measure to the middle of the bumper and 2.8" if you measure to the end of the bumper

i dont know why there such wierd measurements :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts