Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
For those of you that have your Highlines set up with the shorter shock (getting 7.25") how are you liking it?
What is the HA like? I see the BB height is around14.2"!
What bike were you on before and how does the HL compare?
Would like to get one of these or an IH 7point.
Thanks for any info.
TG

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
just took a look at the IH7p geo and there are some differences for sure. I need to take some fresh measurements(and photos!) on my HL.

1. I'm digging my setup, it's hard to get too specific since I have not ridden anything else in a few months now. The riding I've been doing is not "extreme freeride". I've been pedaling and pushing up, tight fast trails, lots of jumping and drops. I'm starting to get curious about how it feels at 8" with a DC fork...

2. Quick HA measurement with the 66 looks like it's close to 66.5, haven't measured the BB yet with the 66 and 2.7 front and 2.5 rear tire, should be more than 14.2 now. It doesn't feel all that slack.

3. I was on RFX before, the small HL is and feels smaller, which was one of my main reasons for going with it. It is a much more solid stiffer frame. I'm riding the same trails faster with pretty much the same fork, tires, etc. The HL feels better in the air and handles the tightness great even though the WB is longer.

I think the 7P is going to ride noticably different than the HL. The BB height sounds good on the 7P, the ST angle is going to get very slack if you run a taller fork for a slacker HT, seems like the cockpit on the 7P should be more spacious also due to the slacker ST/steeper HT. The frame construction on the 7P looks lighter duty. The rear axle on the HL rules. Probably not fair to compare the frame construction.

I can buy a Turner without riding it first, I would have to ride the IH before commiting to it.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Airwreck

Thanks,
Some updated pics would great. I agree with your comparison between the two bikes; especially the last statement. Ultimately it would be nice to ride both.

Is the extra inch much more noticeable?

Thanks,
TG

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
The 7Point frame is heavy duty, the paint (2005) is light duty.

The 7Point and HL both have a 12x150 axle.

airwreck said:
The frame construction on the 7P looks lighter duty. The rear axle on the HL rules. Probably not fair to compare the frame construction....

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
G-AIR said:
Is the extra inch much more noticeable?
absolutely, I am riding the roughest downhills much faster, the speed and control over the rfx is substantial. good fun. A lot of the air time on the trails I ride involves rough approachs and landings, the extra travel encourages faster approach speeds.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Winston said:
The 7Point frame is heavy duty, the paint (2005) is light duty.

The 7Point and HL both have a 12x150 axle.
notice I was careful to say, looks lighter duty.
I'm only judging from the photos.
It would be interesting to see some close ups of the details to compare.

In my mind the pivot system on the Turner is much burlier, and for my climate the serviceability is key.

Hows the tire clearance on the 7P?

I'm also not well informed as to the rear sag behaviour of the DW's, as in the difference in sagged BB height between the turner suspension and the dwl and vpp. For low BB, long travel combo, is the dwl/vpp going to sag less? that could be a good thing, but then it has to balance out with the front end, and now I'm getting into technicalese that I have no business analyising...:rolleyes:

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
airwreck said:
notice I was careful to say, looks lighter duty.
I'm only judging from the photos.
It would be interesting to see some close ups of the details to compare.

In my mind the pivot system on the Turner is much burlier, and for my climate the serviceability is key.

Hows the tire clearance on the 7P?

I'm also not well informed as to the rear sag behaviour of the DW's, as in the difference in sagged BB height between the turner suspension and the dwl and vpp. For low BB, long travel combo, is the dwl/vpp going to sag less? that could be a good thing, but then it has to balance out with the front end, and now I'm getting into technicalese that I have no business analyising...:rolleyes:
I've got several friends who ride 7p's and they do extreme stuff with them, it's not a light duty bike. I believe the frame weight is about the same as the Highline. 1.5 HT, 150mm rear and 83mm BB on both frames. I know the 7p linkage is progressive (leverage ratio drops as you push further into the travel) and I'd guess the HL does as well. Please, somebody post a graph ;)

I'd expect the BB height at sag to be similar with the 7p being a tad higher (7" HL).

The 7p rear is stiff, but I'd expect the HL to be even better. Certainly the HL's pivot design is totally top notch and I'd expect them to hold up way better. From what I've seen though the 7p's bearings hold up much better than the VPP's and exhibit zero creaking. The fact that the rear end of the lower link on the DW design is a lot higher and out of the way of trail dirt may have something to do with it.

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
I don't have much to add to what Danno said...here's looking at you kid:

Sag wise its anywhere from 25 to 33%. A versatile bike that handles the big stuff and pedals well enough to survive a Tour de Noble with Aquaholic. (Though you won't be able to feel your legs afterwards.)

The 7Point easily accommodates a 2.5 tire. The 2006 runs a WTB Timberwolf:

I don't know of anyone trying to mount a larger volume tire.

The 2.8 rubs a little on the sides of the 66 crown. ;) :D

Iron Horse customer service has been good to me and I have several friends that have been well taken care of by Turner.

Hard to go wrong with either bike, but if you get the HL, go for the full 8". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pics

Winston,
Thanks for posting those. Part of the reason i am looking at the 7point is because of your posts and reviews. I ride similar trails and the 7 point looks like it would be blast.

A few reasons I would go 7" instead of 8" on the HL: BB seems a bit high for my tastes, I would have to get a new fork as well, and when it come down to it, I really don't need 8".

Thanks for all the replys. Keep them coming!

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
The two things about the 7p that I've seen and don't like is first, big problems for some people getting the shock mounts right without getting a clunk. Maybe this is fixed for 06 and newer, but the 05's had some problems. I've known people to get the 'tight tolerance kit' from IH, install it, and still have the problem. Trivial, but annoying.

The second thing is that that pivots bolts have these tiny little allen heads. I don't think they're even as big as 4mm. Hard to get tight, hard to not strip out. I don't know what the HL uses, but I love the big torx used on my Turners.

Hopefully IH has fixed these issues because they're trivial, but can drive you nutZ!

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
.Danno. said:
The two things about the 7p that I've seen and don't like is first, big problems for some people getting the shock mounts right without getting a clunk. Maybe this is fixed for 06 and newer, but the 05's had some problems. I've known people to get the 'tight tolerance kit' from IH, install it, and still have the problem. Trivial, but annoying.

The second thing is that that pivots bolts have these tiny little allen heads. I don't think they're even as big as 4mm. Hard to get tight, hard to not strip out. I don't know what the HL uses, but I love the big torx used on my Turners.

Hopefully IH has fixed these issues because they're trivial, but can drive you nutZ!
From this thread over on Ridemonkey, it sounds like they will be switching to new links, pivots, and shock hardware for the 07 bikes. DW mentions a new 10mm shock hardware standard which I would imagine will solve the current issues some people are having.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well I wanted to clean up the bike and take some photos worthy for the board but Winston had to call me out.

I am loving the Highline alot and now that I've finally got the DHXc dialed in, it's the bike that I grab to put on the rack in the morning for my afterwork ride.

This bike is just PLUuusshhh! I had been on a 600lb spring but had always thought it was oversprung. A quick call to Turner bikes confirmed this and Jarret put me on a 500lb spring. As far as geo of the HL I'm just going off of what others have measured it out to be. I'm coming off a 5Spot, well that's my other bike. It's built up around 29lbs.
The HL I think comes in around 38lbs. I finally got my I9 wheelset in and have gone to a 2.35 Nevegal in the rear so it should be a little lighter than the original 38.53lbs when I took it home.

So how does it compare to my Spot? Since i've only had it for 2 months and it's been in the shop for close to 3 1/2 weeks cuz of problems with the DRS and 66Light, i've only really been able to ride it on the same trails I typically take the Spot on. Downhill technical trails??? the HL is just so much better, smoother and faster. Totally confidence inspiring. Fast flowing singletrack??? well definitely not as fast and agile as the 5Spot because of the extra heft [note* - I am nowhere nearly as strong a rider as Winston - he's manimal for sure!], but still loads and loads of fun - you find yourself looking for things to huck off of. Climbing??? "I" definitely feel the extra 9-10lbs of the HL. climbs that were not a problem with my Spot are now pretty challenging. Initially I was running a 70mm stem on the HL and found my knees just way to close to the bars while climbing, it was just uncomfortable to me. I have since switched to a 90mm stem and it feels much better. still the extra weight takes some time to get used to, but honestly i don't mind the extra challenge.

The IH 7Points are definitely nice bikes. IH and dw have excellent customer service from what I've read on the IH board. But the decision on which FR bike to get for me was easy. I am addicted to the Kool-Aid :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
trailadvent said:
rodel

Nice looking Spot and Highline:thumbsup:, what size frames are they!
they are both medium.

JNC - so fresh and so clean, that thing looks fukking mean :thumbsup:

Yeah i could have gotten a 6Pack/RFX to do what I do on the Highlite, but I wanted something different design wise. I'll admit that I do like the way Intense bikes look, and I was looking at the Uzzi last year. But I'm so glad I waited for the Highline. I do want to put a DC fork on it and run it like it was originally intended.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.