Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
El Malo
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cAnAdiA, you might ask ?
It is every little bit of mountain biking heaven you might enjoy while in the hospitable land of hosers and huckers...
Do you have any slices of cAnAdiA you'd like to share here ?
Here's a quick report on the sampler we had this past weekend...

We finally got our way and squeezed-in rides in all the spots we had intended...
It's hard to put your foot down and not get a fix of the Whistler Bike Park all weekend when it's in this rare good condition, but we stuck to the plan and had a great time.
I know, a picture speaks a thousand words, but unfortunately, no camera was brought, so you will just have to open up a bike magazine for visuals this time.

Day 1 -
OH CANADA
The drive up was uneventful until the minute we began driving up Mountain Highway to reach Mt.Fromme up at the Shore. It began pissing like crazy but since it had been dry most of the week until this moment, I refused to let that deter our plan, so we just hopped on the bikes and pedalled to the top.
We pulled-in a quick loop and decided to ride a trail I'd never hit before, Espresso. Man, that is a fun little trail. Needless to say, the wood was wet, therefore, some of the structures were super sketchy. But the trails in general were in beautiful shape even in the hard rain. After that ride, we hopped in the Jeep, made a quick stop and jetted straight to Whistler but unfortunately not in time to make get any quality time on the park.

Day 2 -
IT'S RIDETIME ! ! !
We had the usual FTF (french toast feast) and got on the lift. On the way up our first run on Garbo, it was evident that it had been raining pretty good up there. We found enough mud on the trails to make everything slippery as ice. Man, GoatsGully was S-KETCHY but fun. By mid-afternoon, most everything was tacky and beautiful with the exception of one particular small greasyAss rock that took me out twice. By now, I had 1 crash and 2 ugly dismounts on GoatsG. I knew that I just wasn't ON that day, cos I was slow and sketchy. So I just took it easy.
After 9hrs of lift assisted heaven, we said goodnight to the hill at 8pm and headed to kick back and enjoy an evening with muchos Mojitos and bbq ribs.

Day 3 -
UGHHHHH, GOT FREIGHT TRAIN ON MY MIND - AND CERTAINLY OVER MY BODY... GET IT OFF ME ! ! !
I served up some simple chilaquiles breakfast for the crew before getting bikes ready. Slow to go but high to ride, we hop on the lift. It takes no genius to know that the park is in immaculate conditions right now. Are you freeeking kidding me, it's mid July !Absolutely no sight of mud and certainly no dust, the trails are tacky and lippy.
I'd have to say that my favourite run was NoJoke/Freight Train/No Duff/A-line. I guess those Mojitos really got me straight, cos man, that is one railing run, holy smokes... we were sizzlin' down the mountain.
In similar fashion, we smoked a few top to bottom runs from 11-3pm.
Then, we reluctantly loaded the bikes and drove down to Squamish where we committed to push 40 tooth rings up nearly 2,000ft of gain so we could pull off one of our favourite AggroXC rides. Yes, that last 1000ft / mile-long lung-busting grind up with the few steep baby head switchback section thrown-in near the top for good measure was tough, but we just took our time and crested the trail at exactly 7pm for some amazing views before diving down a sweet trail.
Most of the entire ride has rolling technical singletrack, at times exposed, with interspersed tech sections to climb and alternating with steeeep rocky/rooty chutes a la Goats Gully which require skilled manoeuvring once you let go of the brakes. But it is such a peaceful ride too, with stops at three lakes if you wish to swim, plus many nice vistas and no one else in sight.
The last section is a rippin' fast singletrack descent along a verdant, shaded and cool creek that spits you out on the road. It goes without saying that trail conditons were mint.
The drive down the Sea2Sky as the sun goes down never gets old... but getting 3hrs of sleep and having to be at work 7am always sucks... Awesome weekend :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Huh, I rode Seymour and Fromme on Sunday and Monday (7-16 and 7-17) and the wood was nice and dry. But, you could tell that there had been some rain but the mud was nearly non-existent. Esprtesso is on the list for next time. But, 7th Secret/Pipeline/Lower ladies/Natural High/Griffin was the line for Sunday after the CBC/Corkscrew/Ned's/Bottle Top run at Seymour. 7th/Leopard/Kirkford/Crinkum-Crankum/Cedar/Upper/Lower griffin on Monday.

Good stuff!

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I am glad they got some rain! I was up there 2 weeks ago and the fire danger was extreme, trails were starting to become dusty, and locals were getting nervous about another fire danger closure.

I'm heading up saturday for a week, sounds like the conditions will be prefect!

What trails did you ride in Squamish?

·
El Malo
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Borneo said:
Huh, I rode Seymour and Fromme on Sunday and Monday (7-16 and 7-17) and the wood was nice and dry. But, you could tell that there had been some rain but the mud was nearly non-existent. Esprtesso is on the list for next time. But, 7th Secret/Pipeline/Lower ladies/Natural High/Griffin was the line for Sunday after the CBC/Corkscrew/Ned's/Bottle Top run at Seymour. 7th/Leopard/Kirkford/Crinkum-Crankum/Cedar/Upper/Lower griffin on Monday.

Good stuff!
Your choice of trails are ones I would have suggested for you. 7th Secret is a great trail, but you missed out by not mixing it up with Upper Oil Can on your second day up.
My favourite loop up there is climb to the top, ride 7th Secret, climb again, ride Upper Oil Can, climb again, ride UOC again and just keep going for a mach session on AirSupply, then ride up to PinkStarfish, connect to the BP and either take Crippler or Ladies Only.
Not bad at all, and these are the "tourist trails" up there... you ought to see the stuff that is not on the map that the kore locals ride, jjjjjeeeezuz !

How'd you like the top notch trailbuilding (armouring) ? I'm sure you loved the fact that there are ride-arounds for a lot of the bigger stuff... What bike did you take up ?

·
El Malo
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FM said:
I am glad they got some rain! I was up there 2 weeks ago and the fire danger was extreme, trails were starting to become dusty, and locals were getting nervous about another fire danger closure.

I'm heading up saturday for a week, sounds like the conditions will be prefect!

What trails did you ride in Squamish?
From the residential near Mamquam Rd to Alice Lake and down Rigs via a myriad of other killer trails in between. I've told EBX about this, sco-tay... you guys would freeeking love it.
soon ?
I know he's planning another Gargamel adventure next week like we did last year... day before the big day, nonetheless... maybe he should leave it for Sunday or Monday and stay in one piece, eh ? :D

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Your choice of trails are ones I would have suggested for you. 7th Secret is a great trail, but you missed out by not mixing it up with Upper Oil Can on your second day up.
My favourite loop up there is climb to the top, ride 7th Secret, climb again, ride Upper Oil Can, climb again, ride UOC again and just keep going for a mach session on AirSupply, then ride up to PinkStarfish, connect to the BP and either take Crippler or Ladies Only.
Not bad at all, and these are the "tourist trails" up there... you ought to see the stuff that is not on the map that the kore locals ride, jjjjjeeeezuz !

How'd you like the top notch trailbuilding (armouring) ? I'm sure you loved the fact that there are ride-arounds for a lot of the bigger stuff... What bike did you take up ?
I'm back down to one bike. (bills) so I brought the 5x5 which made me really work hard at cleaning most of the gnar. i'll be back up and hit some of the other stuff. This was my introduction and it was all good.

Yes, my local guide pointed out and we visited a few features off in the woods that were a bit scary.

The armouring is inspiring and I plan on using some of that information locally soon.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I know he's planning another Gargamel adventure next week like we did last year... day before the big day, nonetheless... maybe he should leave it for Sunday or Monday and stay in one piece, eh ? :D
I would be so down for gargamel! Let me know! That woudl be so SWEET!

I am going up this saturday and staying through the following sunday, so monday is out. Any other day = I'm there.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
FM said:
I would be so down for gargamel! Let me know! That woudl be so SWEET!

I am going up this saturday and staying through the following sunday, so monday is out. Any other day = I'm there.
I'm not up to Whistler until Wednesday night (meet at the park in the evening?). The best time for a Gargamel trip (for me) might be Thursday morning, but my schedule is gonna be tight. Let's coordinate next week, FM and see if we can make this happen.

EB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.