Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
It's a Turner!
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with the 66SL on the Pack and have to say this is one versatile fork. Here's pics showing it in 130, 150, and 170mm travel settings. (I apologize for the background and lack of tripod - I may redo it so you can see the changes in geometry better.) The bike rides well in all settings. I thought it would be too raked out at 170mm but it seems fine even with little to no sag resulting from a lot of stiction. It's gonna take a few rides to break in this fork and I'll probably change the oil as well.

It only takes two minutes to change the travel. I'll probably find some setting I like and keep it there. Right now I've got it set to 160mm.

I love the increased stiffness - makes my Z1 feel like a noodle. But I was kinda surprised the steerer tube wasn't beef'd up over your run-of-the-mill XC fork. That and the sticker on the fork which had a disclaimer that it was not to be used for extreme freeride or DH. Huh? Marz markets the fork for just that purpose!

I haven't weighed the bike yet but it feels a lot lighter than I expected (and rides a lot lighter). It's only a few pounds heavier than my 29.5lb Spot. So the Spot may get lightened and used for the races and the Pack for trips to the mtns.

Pic 1: 130mm
Pic 2: 150mm
Pic 3: 170mm

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
Very cool! I can't wait till mine comes in - maybe early next week.

Is that a medium or a large frame? How much clearance do you have at the crown / downtube?

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...yeah, makes me excited for mine to get here too! Hopefully by Friday...:D
Welcome to the 6 Pack club Jay. Will the 66 be gracing the front of it?

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
That pack is looking sweet! How old is your Outlaw wheelset? The only reason I ask, is because I bought a set earlier this year, and destroyed two free hub bodies within a 3 month period. Azonic was very good about the warranty, but now the rear wheel is just sitting in the garage as a spare, because I'm scared of blowing it up again.

Give that fork some time. My 66 light took about 60 miles worth of riding before the fork felt broken in. After 12 days of riding I did an oil change, and now the fork is like butter.

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...most likely. I am going to play with a few different configurations initially prior to selling the Spot. The frame comes with the DHX air so I will give it a shot, but @ 220 lbs I'm not sure I will get it to feel good. Most likely an AVY will find it's way to me very soon. Gotta go build up a wheel so I am ready for it's arrival. I believe Hope makes a version of their levers/ calipers that is mineral oil compatible & I would like to play around with the Saint calipers (seeing how I just bought one) & Hope levers. But only if this would allow me to switch over to Mono M4 calipers in the future.
Franken-brakes !!!! That's kinda scary:eek:

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
SSINGA said:
Welcome to the 6 Pack club Jay. Will the 66 be gracing the front of it?
...most likely. I am going to play with a few different configurations initially prior to selling the Spot. The frame comes with the DHX air so I will give it a shot, but @ 220 lbs I'm not sure I will get it to feel good. Most likely an AVY will find it's way to me very soon. Gotta go build up a wheel so I am ready for it's arrival. I believe Hope makes a version of their levers/ calipers that is mineral oil compatible & I would like to play around with the Saint calipers (seeing how I just bought one) & Hope levers. But only if this would allow me to switch over to Mono M4 calipers in the future.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
SSINGA said:
Franken-brakes !!!! That's kinda scary:eek:
...LOL. Not really. They have a set of calipers that are made to run with the Shimano dual control levers + mineral oil. The levers are essentially the same...just have to verify that it can be done the other way around (shimano calipers & Hope levers)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Looks right to me SSINGA, don't you have a Hayes one in a spares box anywhere?

The Hayes version works with Avids it just doesn't look as nicely machined/cast.

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
Paul5s said:
Looks right to me SSINGA, don't you have a Hayes one in a spares box anywhere?

The Hayes version works with Avids it just doesn't look as nicely machined/cast.
Now that you mention it I might have one from my old Manitou Slider. I'll have to check tonight.

·
It's a Turner!
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Large. It's got enough clearance - like maybe 1cm or so.

SSINGA said:
Very cool! I can't wait till mine comes in - maybe early next week.

Is that a medium or a large frame? How much clearance do you have at the crown / downtube?

·
It's a Turner!
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. That's why I'm running a 36t middle.

Dirty Bert said:
HEy!

Does that E-13 replace the large chainring?????

Thanks

Db

·
It's a Turner!
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
About 5 months old. Yeah, that's what others have told me about this wheelset. I hope I don't have trouble, but judging by the number of people that have had problems, I'm starting to worry.

El Chingon said:
That pack is looking sweet! How old is your Outlaw wheelset? The only reason I ask, is because I bought a set earlier this year, and destroyed two free hub bodies within a 3 month period. Azonic was very good about the warranty, but now the rear wheel is just sitting in the garage as a spare, because I'm scared of blowing it up again.

Give that fork some time. My 66 light took about 60 miles worth of riding before the fork felt broken in. After 12 days of riding I did an oil change, and now the fork is like butter.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,918 Posts
message to myself, please ignore.

my van36 is fine, I don't need to try the 66.

what Jay, you're transitioning to hopes now?

my brakes are fine, I don't need hopes.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
airwreck said:
...what Jay, you're transitioning to hopes now?
...lol. I have actually been on the Hopes (Mono Mini) for about a year & a half....great brakes. I am second guessing the 203mm Saint after my ride tonite. Waaaaaaay too much brake. I may try the 160mm on there....everytime I wanted to scrub a bit of speed I ended up locking the front wheel and sliding out....not fun on nasty steep, wet descents! One thing I love about the Hopes...I can descend a slippery steep leaf covered surface & easily modulate the brakes without locking them up & sliding around. I'm itching to try the Mono M4's..........

You may resume your chanting ;)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Airwreck, I know just what you're talking about. Between reading posts from Jnc, SS and Crash-D I'll be broke forever.

Interesting observations on the Saints. I was thinking I might want to try a bit more brake than my XTRs but the modulation is really quite good. Our trails are similar enough that you know that modulation can be really critical on short steep loose decents w/little or no runout.

BTW can one still get the single function style XT levers to go with the XT calipers? I'm not interested in the dual control. Or is it the frankenhope the only solution?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Airwreck, I know just what you're talking about. Between reading posts from Jnc, SS and Crash-D I'll be broke forever.

Interesting observations on the Saints. I was thinking I might want to try a bit more brake than my XTRs but the modulation is really quite good. Our trails are similar enough that you know that modulation can be really critical on short steep loose decents w/little or no runout.

BTW can one still get the single function style XT levers to go with the XT calipers? I'm not interested in the dual control. Or is it the frankenhope the only solution?
Hi B'Zilla :)
The Big S makes the hydro levers in a couple of flavours now, XT and Saint, same lever different colours. Both are single control, and dual control is still available if you must...

As far as I'm aware over here in the UK the brakes are only available in kit form although some dealers sell them prebuilt and bled, these maybe OEM kits getting into the market not that there is any difference. There's also the odd dealer that sells the Saint kit over here with 6 bolt rotors, 8" only though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...lol. I have actually been on the Hopes (Mono Mini) for about a year & a half....great brakes. I am second guessing the 203mm Saint after my ride tonite. Waaaaaaay too much brake. I may try the 160mm on there....everytime I wanted to scrub a bit of speed I ended up locking the front wheel and sliding out....not fun on nasty steep, wet descents! One thing I love about the Hopes...I can descend a slippery steep leaf covered surface & easily modulate the brakes without locking them up & sliding around. I'm itching to try the Mono M4's..........

You may resume your chanting ;)
JnC the Mono4 has a bad rep for overheating when used hard here in the UK, mainly when used in the Alps for shuttle runs and in hot weather. Hope modded the pistons to better deal with the heat build up on long DH runs but it still seems to be a bit hit and miss as to solving the problem.

I had a set that were very inconsistant, great for weeks at a time then they needed bleeding as they lost loads of stopping power quite quickly. Nothing else worked. I tried different pads, cleaning the discs with meths, then IPA as advised by Hope, sanding the pads/discs to get the bite back, checked for fluid leaks, had Goodridge lines fitted, still no better. In the end I gave up and put my old faithfull Hayes mags on/off switches back on until I eventually changed to J7's which work great for me :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts