Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big guy, but I'm not in horrible shape. I'm just trying to find out what size mtn bike is for me? I currently have a 26in Mongoose scorpion that I bought about 2yrs ago and never really rode. I have recently started riding and I want to learn as much as possible. Found a new love while trying to get into better shape. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Michael

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rocky Mountain Element

Im 6'0 215 now but was a bit heavier a year ago so riding has done alot for me. If you dont mind spending some money you might look at a Rocky .Cannondale and Trek makes a sweet bike but alot of reviews say that Rock's are good for Clydes and my friend is 6'3 245 and he rides ones and we have put them through a pounding and they still are awsome. I had a Cannondale Jekyll but felt like I was always going over the bars. I just never felt comfortable on it and ever since buying the Rocky and it is one I will ride for years so alot cash for one but will pay off over the years. I would research bikes that bigger riders use. Clydes section of the forum is a good place to read or google the bikes your looking at. I bought mine off Ebay and the shop I bought it from was real helpful. I have no doubts this bike will hold up to my weight as my friend rides harder faster and has had his for about 5 years. I like the Trek EX and Specialized makes a sweet looking bike and people say there frame is among the top in stye.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It varies by manufacturer

There is no real answer to your question, other than the fact that you're looking at larger frames from the various manufacturers. First off, there is no uniformity in bike sizing. Some manufacturers use Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, etc. Some go 14", 16", 18", etc. Others go 15", 17", 19", etc. To complicate things further two manufacturers (or even the same manufacturer's different models) with 14" frames will feel different to the same rider for a variety of reasons.

You'll need to go to the LBS and try out a few sizes to see what fits best for you. Lastly, at your height and weight, you may want to give consideration to a 29" wheeled bike. Check the 29er forum for more details.

Bob

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
You'll need to go to the LBS and try out a few sizes to see what fits best for you. Lastly, at your height and weight, you may want to give consideration to a 29" wheeled bike. Check the 29er forum for more details.

Bob
Yup. A 29"er would be a good suggestion for his size.

BB

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am 6'2" 275lbs. 33" inseam
Test ride as many bikes as you can, find one that is comfortable.
The standard Clydesdale Forum recomendation will be a Kona Hoss.
I own a 19" Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, and a 19" Redline Monocog 29'er SS and have had no problems w/ either. IMHO you can be 275lbs or 175lbs but if you ride w/ the grace of a hippo on ice skates youre going to beat the hell out of any bike.
As mentioned already be sure to try a 29er, at our size it should be at the top of the to try list

1 - 5 of 5 Posts