Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
simple
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend at the Firecracker 50, 69ers rode away with 1st and 2nd place in the singlespeed category. Strangely, the same result occurred at the last 2 Winter Park series races. 29ers just are not dominating like they theoretically should be. ;)

I'm in love with my 69er, can't you tell? It is the perfect platform for a hardtail mountain bike. :thumbsup:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Yes this is interesting. Singlespeed is the only race category a 29'er might have an advantage over smaller and lighter wheels and frames. But maybe combined wheel weight and smaller frame stay weights of the 26 rear is a significant weight advantage and more energy efficient over the rolling momentum advantage a 29’er rear wheel.

Could the same riders have performed as well on a full 29'er? Why not?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Trek 69ers. Or 96ers for those of you who think that really matters. I have a singlespeed Trek on the way to complete the trilogy. I don't seem to be able to upload pics at this time, but I'll try later.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm not a racer (at all) but definitely experimenting with the 69er concept as well. That Trek that I demo'd actually sort of all kicked it off. In the NORBA cross country two weekends ago here in PArk City though, the winner and 4 of the top 10 were on full 29ers (for what its worth).

Again I posted up in one of the other threads about the Trek, the cadence is really interesting with the 26er in the rear. It bounces over everything but feels a lot like the 26er that we all know. For me, one more reason the 650b also has so much potential, only 1" larger about...

·
Whatever
585 Posts
Good to hear! I didn't have time to train for the Firecracker 50 due to too much work travel, but I did have fun on Saturday passing a bunch of guys in DH gear and DH bikes on the downhills at Keystone. OK so they were knuckleheads who had to stop for smokes halfway down, but still it was fun to get those looks at this guy on a 69er!

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is the full suspension. I can't upload the photos I have of the hardtail, but it looks just like the one on Treks site. I had to dump the Deore cranks in favor of some good old XT's, and the Bontrager wheels serve as backups to Stans ZTR 355s. These bikes ROCK. The G2 geometry is like being on a great waterski,. The front wheel rolls over obstacles, and the rear wheel seams to float over like it's not even there. I can't even imagine riding a 29 inch rear wheel anymore. Not to mention that mountain bike gearing is made for 26 inch wheels. I also have my first 69er, which is a converted Ellsworth Truth. That bike is fun, but not as quick as the Trek.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
202cycle said:
maybe better riders are leaving 29ers behind in favor of the 69er.
this is, in a way, perhaps the most true statement posted on this forum in a LOOOONG time.

better riders, are just better riders.

regardless of the wheel size they choose.

racing on 2-wheels (M/C's included, but especially the pedal powered kind) is 99.99% rider/.01% machine.

this FACT should be inherent in ANY discussion involving racing on these boards.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
69er rules

onespeedpaul said:
this is, in a way, perhaps the most true statement posted on this forum in a LOOOONG time.

better riders, are just better riders.

regardless of the wheel size they choose.

racing on 2-wheels (M/C's included, but especially the pedal powered kind) is 99.99% rider/.01% machine.

this FACT should be inherent in ANY discussion involving racing on these boards.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/QUOTE)

True,
but skill is primarily a frame of mind, and you choose a specific bike (69er) because you believe in its ass-kicking abilities over another model, like say, a 29eer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.