Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try out a wider bar on my 2010 Spot. The bar I am using now is 685mm wide and the new bar would be 711. Should I go wider than 711? Wasn't sure how much of a difference 685 to 711 would feel like.

I realize bar width is largely personal preference but I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is the best thing you'll ever do to raise your level of riding.
I would say try a 711 to start with, then when you get used to it, see how it goes and then maybe try wider.
I run a 710 on my spot and love it.
Some people say wider bars are just trendy, those people are really dumb.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes, Do It!

Went from 685mm to 750mm, love it, no going back. Only a few spots on the trails I ride where the width is a bit to wide to fit through, but other than that awesome! I say get wider than 711mm, that way you can cut them down to your preference.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Body structure(shoulder width) will impact optimum bar width.. if you go too wide, it could bother your upper back depending on your riding position. Wider bars offers more control. I went from a 635 to a 710 and then cut it back to 685 since it was bothering my upper back and I couldn't fit through many places where I ride.
Give it a try, you can always cut it

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Not sure how much you will notice the diff, I run 711 bars and they work great for our trails here, wouldn't want anything wider tho with some of the trails I ride like Mt herman

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback! Ordered a 2011 Easton Havoc DH bar. It is 750mm wide but as several of you mentioned I can always cut it down to find the sweet spot if I need to.

Looking forward to trying it out when it gets here. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN said:
I appreciate all of the feedback! Ordered a 2011 Easton Havoc DH bar. It is 750mm wide but as several of you mentioned I can always cut it down to find the sweet spot if I need to.

Looking forward to trying it out when it gets here. :D
Just my own personal experience but make sure you stick with the full length for a while. It might be easy to think you want to cut them down but if you give them a chance you'll probably keep them full length. I thought I was going to cut my right away by the way they felt at first but a few rides and many gnarly sections later I'm glad I kept them long. Mine are 765mm and I'm not a long armed guy by any means. You'll love them!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Shoulder width and whether or not you ride trails with lots of trees is what you should consider. If you are a big guy, your wide shoulders will have to make it through the trees anyway. So, you can get away with a wider bar. My buddies that ride the trees in Tahoe ride amazingly narrow bars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.