Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
old school...
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this problem with Marzocchi 66RC 150mm model? Maybe same thing with 170mm model.

When the fork tops out after rebound it makes rather loud clunking noise.
If I set more rebound the noise decreases, but it requires about 12 clicks of
rebound and it makes the fork perform way too slowly.

I haven't yet checked the oil levels, if that got something to do with the noise.

It'll be damn nice if Marzocchi would publish workshop manuals for 66 on their website.
I sure would like to check from manual how the internals should be assembled.

Does anyone has pictures of 66 cartridge rod assembly with springs and top cap?
I would really appreciate if someone could provide some pictures.

It seems that springs are a bit loose between spring seats, and due the preload is done with air pressure, it is not possible to add more preload for springs same way as with 888.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
If you get your hands on a workshop manual, PLEASE post it here...

Doesn't the 66 have the same internals as the 888? I thought I heard it does, but I might be wrong. If it does, goto http://www.go-ride.com/tips.html and check out the tuning tips.

(FWIW, I have a 66R at 150mm and don't have a topout issue...)

·
old school...
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Locoman said:
If you get your hands on a workshop manual, PLEASE post it here...

Doesn't the 66 have the same internals as the 888? I thought I heard it does, but I might be wrong. If it does, goto http://www.go-ride.com/tips.html and check out the tuning tips.

(FWIW, I have a 66R at 150mm and don't have a topout issue...)
888 and 66 share basically the same cartridges but the upper spring collar (spring plate) is attached differently to the cartridge rod.

There is also difference how the stanchions are attached to the sliders (lower legs), I think.

·
old school...
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
wasn't the oil levels...

Just checked the oils levels. There was less than 200cc of oil and 220cc is the recommendation. I filled the fork with right amount of oil, but the knocking sound is
still there - very annoying.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've got a 66R and it does the same thing. A clacking noise on Top-Out. In fact, two 66R's that I looked at I tried did the same thing. You can barely feel it. If I dial in enough rebound it'll stop but then the fork is way too slow for me. I don't run any air preload because I only weigh 160 and I want the full amount of sag.

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
My 150mm 66RC has a rather loud click/clunk too. Haven't bothered to open it up yet, as the sound seems like more annoying than problematic, but for the price of that fork it should be quiet. I'm running 0psi FWIW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.