Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 66rc that has only been ridden for two months at most. My bike was hanging out in my garage for several weeks so far this winter. It is as cold as anywhere from the teens to the thirtys in temperature in the garage. I noticed a small amount of oil on the right, rebound side of my fork. Could this be from the temperature or is it a bad seal? Also, i brought it inside for awhile and have put it back in the garage for atleast a week, no problem, no leaking. I brought it inside today and was looking at the rebound side (where the oil leaked) and was adjusting the rebound setting. Now this seems really wacky, the 30 click adjustment seems to only allow me to have 5 or so. And when you tighten it (turn right) the knob seems to go down and then tighten so you can't adjust or tighten more. Then when you loosen the rebound, the knob seems to unscrew and go up away from the fork and stop after about 5 or so clicks. Anyone heard of anything like this? Any ideas suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one solved

I fixed the knob, it was just really stubborn, I got a good grip on it with an allen key in the center and slowly freed it up, works fine now. Any clue why the oil would leak? Could the seal have shrunk ddue to the cold and now is fine that it expanded?

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
W7_311 said:
I fixed the knob... Could the seal have shrunk ddue to the cold?
if you don't use it, you lose it.

where you hanging the bike so that the fork was inverted? sometimes oil works it's way thru if you hang a bike for a long time.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
I think Sriracha's onto something.

When you hang your bike up and then pull it off the wall/ceiling, cycle the fork several times to get oil back into the damping cartridges. Usually, when I pull my bike off the rack (hung vertically) there's no rebound damping because the oil's drained to the top of the fork.....so I just cycle it a few times and voila! Anyway, this may or may not be the case, but something to check the next time you hang your bike up.

chers,
EBX

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, wasn't hanging but thanks for the tips for future help.

·
eminence front
367 Posts
Also remember, sorta basic but anyways, that at freezing temperatures the oil will be VERY thick.

If you tried adjusting the rebound, etc, when you first brought it inside im not suprised it didn't work right. I don't know how long you brought it in, but id give it a few hours before expecting it to be normal.

If you already thought of it... ignore me. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it crossed my mind I just did not expect it to be so tough, the only thing that threw me off was that the compression side was normal. I have very limited space inside especially for a big bike, ya know? Any ideas for hanging or storing a bike (heavy bike) inside taht takes up limited space?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts