Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to grab either a set of tomcats or the straits.i like the fact that the tomcats are pull ups,so they should stay in place better,but i like how the straits are smaller,and made to fit under pants.any suggestions?

·
Back in Scotland
157 Posts
Cant comment on the Straits, but the Tomcats are superb, very comfy, infact you forget that you are even wearing them, and they have never moved position, not even during some nasty falls. As far as I know, they offer a bit more protection than the straits but dont quote me on that.

Anyway, if you decide on the Cats you wont be dissapointed :thumbsup:

K

917 Posts
I use the straits and they are great. I have a sponsorship with 661 but i probably would have bought these pads anyway. When u slip them on u notice how comfortable they are because there is no hard plastic shell to limit movement. I use the pads all the time they rock. and they dont really move around on my leg too much:thumbsup:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh decisions?!?!...do either of you guys have any pics wearing them,because id like to get an idea of how big they are...pics of just the pads make the straits look as though they may be lacking in protection...either way it sounds like they are btoh great so ill figure it out eventually.thanks for the replies.

oh yea,what sizes would you recomend.im 5'6".i was figuring going with a medium?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
I love the tomcats.... I like having a hardshell in there because when my knees hit, it's usually not on something soft... I did rip the cloth covering today. Hopefully that doesn't expand any further...

917 Posts
If u look next to thread #2 there is an add for e.13 and the guy on the bike is wearing the straits u cant tell how much padding is on them but there is side padding on them. and mediums should be good for u thats wut i have.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
I'm using the straits, and was comparing them with a friends tomcats yesterday. I don't think there is much difference in the knee shell part, the toms are a harder plastic but the straits do the job fine. They are both pull ups and the straps are the same. The straits breathe out the back better. The straits also have side knee protection that the toms don't.

I'm 5-4 and 140lbs wearing the smalls, they could be a tiny bit smaller for me, but can't complain. Here's a photo, you can look in my photo gallery if you want to see more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the straits are the best ones I've ever used. most comfortable and they don't slip. you can do a fr and pedal for hours and they're still comfortable. owned 6 different sets from TLD, Azonic, 661 & Race Face.

·
Registered
58 Posts
haven't tried the tomcats. raced the straits at Southridge already - they work great. plan on racing with them all season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.