Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...OK, I figured I would start a separate thread for any of you considering this fork. I will update this thread as I have more time with it.

..OK, Freak is in da house. I can't really do any research right now as I'm currently home alone & I'm afraid of it :D

...here is another pic for those of you curious. I put 125 psi in the negative & 35 psi in the positive chambers & it dropped the fork to around 5.25" of exposed stanchion. I cycled the shock a bunch & it seems to be holding that top out position. However, the more I have continued to fiddle around & cycle the fork the seals are getting a bit more compliant & the fork has crept about .25" back up. The thing feels super sticky in the initial portion of the stroke (normal) & I suspect, until a good thorough break-in process, I won't have a decent idea about either the quality of travel, or the fork's ability to maintain a shorter than advertised travel state.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are some weights:

**Z1 has steerer cut to 8.5" - Both forks have axles installed

Please DT, can I keep him? I promise I'll take care of him all myself....:D

...couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...after a night of playing in my basement on a 66 equipped 5 Spot, I am pretty psyched. I have essentially been messing around with all the potential setups options. For those of you contemplating this fork, I think it would be a killer fork for a 5.5 RFX...guess I'll just have to build me one ;). Seriously tho, there is still alot to be determined performance-wise, but if you have some suspension know how...this fork can really be dialed to perfection in terms of setup. It's not an "on-the-fly" type fork, but it can be setup for a wide range of styles over diversified terrain. If the performance of the air can come close to matching a coil setup...this will for sure be a winner.

PS. This thing is Die-Sel. Foshizzle! I can't wait to hammer this chassis, it is exactly what I have been craving from the Z1 & not getting. I wish I could have one on the Spot as well :D

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Man that's a two fisted FMB!
You need to take that badboy off the Spot before you end up with a unicycle.

Your spot will be having some wild dreams tonight... be it nightmare or fantasy.

Yeah, yeah I know it's just a mockup to fiddle with until your E13 hardtail gets back. :p

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Kewl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jncarpenter said:
...couldn't help myself.
That thing on the Spot is like watching Ron Jeremy doin' a midget. Too cool. This is a dangerous thread when you're hitting winter UGI mode -- I want one...

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikezilla said:
Man that's a two fisted FMB!
You need to take that badboy off the Spot before you end up with a unicycle
...actually, as it sits in the picture, it has a lower A-C than the Z1 Light w/ the same amount of travel :eek:

I imagine once the steerer is cut (I 'shopped it for the Spot photo), it will be pretty close in weight to the Z1 as well!

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Jay, thanks for all the great, and positive info so far. I don't think I can wait till I sell my two forks. Not like I can ride it anywhere right now though.
Is the red knob on the bootom of the right fork leg the compression adjuster?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Renegade said:
Is the red knob on the bootom of the right fork leg the compression adjuster?
yes, it is. It has a bunch of adjustment also, similar to the new Z1 Light.

I can't wait to flog this animal!

·
Registered
710 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...actually, as it sits in the picture, it has a lower A-C than the Z1 Light w/ the same amount of travel :eek:

I imagine once the steerer is cut (I 'shopped it for the Spot photo), it will be pretty close in weight to the Z1 as well!
I noticed the same thing! The new 66 forks must be the lowest A-C single crown forks /per travel amount ever made by Zokes. It's even lower than the Vanilla, and Fox usually has the rep. of having low A-C for their forks.

On the other hand the 66 forks don't have much tire clearance, for such a big fork, where as the 36 forks appear to have much more room for giant tires and thus needed to increase clearance on bottom out.

66 forks don't have to worry about anything larger than a 2.8 going into there. Hell, my Pike put the 66 to shame in terms of tire clearance. It had close to 1/2-2/3 of an inch of clearance with a 2.6 in there. :eek:

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
jncarpenter said:
I can't wait to flog this animal!
I can solve all your problems. Send it to me and I will put it on a frame worthy of it's beefiness and will break it an for you. emmmkay?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Jay, does your SL have the "not quite aligned dropout/axle issue" that was mentioned in the shock forum? If so, how bad is it? Have you taken steps to get new lowers, if that's the case? Thanks!

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Oops, sorry Jay. I just saw your post in that thread I was refering too.
BTW, the fork looks badass on your hardtail!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Very nice. I think I liked it better on the Spot:p

No reply from Marzocchi on my end about the lower misalignment.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
That fork is gonna look so fricked bad-ass on my RFX, even if it's a glorified lawn ornament for the next four months [damn you winter!]

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Renegade said:
That fork is gonna look so fricked bad-ass on my RFX, even if it's a glorified lawn ornament for the next four months [damn you winter!]
almost as good as it will look on my Pack :p

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
...got it all dialed & spent some time on it tonite. This is a very tunable fork! The stiction is only just beginning to work itself out, but I have found I can simulate a plusher ride in the meantime by jacking up the negative air. It seems strange how once you get the Doppio cart to settle on a travel setting, it remains nearly unaffected by variances in pressures. I have even tried to get the travel to change by bouncing on the fork while altering pressures....no dice. To me, this is a very good thing. It also means that you will essentially have to dump your pressures to re-establish a new travel setting. After spending a decent bit of time on the fork, I have been able to verify that the fork is staying put at a 5" travel setting with 5-3/8" of exposed stanchion. FWIW, I have been running 150 psi in negative, 30 psi in each positive, 20 psi in the PAR, 7 clicks of rebound & 5 clicks of compression. Feels very plush...little harsh on low speed hits due to stiction. I think the increased bushing size (surface area) may need a bit longer of a break-in...but I will probably change the oil once a week for the first month.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Here are some weights:

**Z1 has steerer cut to 8.5" - Both forks have axles installed

Please DT, can I keep him? I promise I'll take care of him all myself....:D

...couldn't help myself.
No bearing race on the 66. There's a race on the Z1.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts