Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
A 29er fork is a lot taller from axle to crown for the same amount of suspension travel. Another way to look at it is that for the same height fork that would work well on your frame you get a lot less travel with a 29er fork.

Fox 26" 100mm fork = 470.9 mm
Fox 29er 100mm fork = 500.9mm
Fox 26" 130mm fork = 500.9mm

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
I noticed that the OP said he's considering using an Inbred 29er. I seem to remember reading somewhere that converting a 29er frame for use with 650B wheels was not an Ideal scenario because the smaller wheels lowers the bottom bracket height and subjects the rider to pedal strikes, handling issues, etc. I would assume it all depends on the frame and its geometry but is there really any truth in that?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I noticed that the OP said he's considering using an Inbred 29er. I seem to remember reading somewhere that converting a 29er frame for use with 650B wheels was not an Ideal scenario because the smaller wheels lowers the bottom bracket height and subjects the rider to pedal strikes, handling issues, etc. I would assume it all depends on the frame and its geometry but is there really any truth in that?
Yes there is some truth to that. However in my experience the Inbred has a fairly tall BB so I think pedal strikes shouldn't be an issue. I actually have a half-built 650b rear wheel in my garage that was going to go on the back of my Inbred 29er to purposefully lower the BB to a better height (and to slack the bike since I was still using a 29er front end). I ended up replacing my Inbred before I could complete the experiment though

As for the rest of the geometry using a 29er frame won't create issues per say, it's just not as optimal for things like chainstay length. 29er frames usually have longer chainstays than most 26" frames, and since lots of people prefer the handling characteristics of short stays they would be better off using a 26" frame.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Depends on the frame I'd have to say.

My current bike was initially designed as a 29er with around a 12.75" bottom bracket height. Original intent was for it to be an adventure bike of sorts - and much of that adventuring was to be done in New Hampshire which gets a fair amount of snow in the winter (hence a bb to possibly deal with snow and snowbanks and such on NH gravel roads etc. etc.

It now sits as a dual 650b bike thanks to paragon sliders, and has about a 12" bottom bracket height. A very "sweet spot" in terms of bottom bracket height for rigid trail riding here in Connecticut.

So it depends on the frame (and in particular - the frame's bottom bracket height).

So for my particular frame (44 Bikes SnakeDriver) it works great. But if I were to try to do something similar on a Surly Karate Monkey or let's say a Canfield Nimble 9 - I'd end up with an awfully low bottom bracket height and a ton of pedal strikes if I were to run 650b hoops.

Make sense?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.