Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
building up a 650b wheelset this winter...

hubs - shimano xt m756
hoops - blunts or p35s
spokes - dt swiss champion
tires - neo motos

as for tubes and strips: should i use 26" or 29" tubes/strips...?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
salimoneus said:
serious i wasn't joking, you want a tighter fit, go with the 24". most people run 20" tube strips for 26" wheels. the rubber stretches no problem. if it's too loose you will likely have issues.
It didn't look like the OP had asked about tubeless set-up.
If he's interested in going that route, I concur with the 24" split tube...though for a P35, I think a wide stan's strip might be good too.

For rim strips, a roll of Velox should do it.

I use a 26" tube.
1 - it works.
2 - I have a 26" rear wheel, so I only need to keep one size.
3 - Any bike shops has them.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
For the rim strip, I always use that nylon reinforced packing tape you can buy cheaply by the roll at Office Depot and elsewhere. This stuff is light, strong, and nearly indestructible. It works for tubed or tubeless applications, so you don't even have to change anything if you change your mind later. It's available in 1/2" and 5/8" widths which can be applied to just about any rim size. Cheap, strong, durable, light...Keith Bontrager would be proud...LOL!

·
Eating Hot Pockets
503 Posts
I agree with TNC about the reinforced packing tape... ever since Stans used to include it with their kits..
the only issue there is it can be a beotch to remove in one piece without leaving a buncha sticky strands on the rim..

but it performs better than any Velox strip i've ever had (those tend to absorb water and they're needlessly thick)

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
A. Nony Moose said:
I agree with TNC about the reinforced packing tape... ever since Stans used to include it with their kits..
the only issue there is it can be a beotch to remove in one piece without leaving a buncha sticky strands on the rim..

but it performs better than any Velox strip i've ever had (those tend to absorb water and they're needlessly thick)
LOL!...yeah, it's a mess to remove. Funny thing, though...I've got one of the first wheels I ever applied that tape to back before we even had Stan's strips, and it's still solid in its integrity. Amazing stuff...must have the half-life of nuclear waste.:lol:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
thehogsters said:
How would one go about doing this? Any one have a link to a video or instructions on how this is done?

Im doing a 650b wheel with the sun rim & neo moto and think this would work well?
Here's one from of Go-Ride.com
http://www.go-ride.com/Articles/ghetto_tubeless.html

I'm using a 24inch shrader valve split tube for a little easier core removal and sealant maintenance than removable presta core, and drilled the Blunt and P35 rims to fit the larger stem. The 24 split tube rim strip fits nicely in 650b rims and has stayed put for multiple tubeless conversion Neo-Moto tire changes.

I haven't used the Sun rim, but others have posted it works well with converted tubeless.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
reformed roadie said:
It didn't look like the OP had asked about tubeless set-up.
If he's interested in going that route, I concur with the 24" split tube...though for a P35, I think a wide stan's strip might be good too.

For rim strips, a roll of Velox should do it.

I use a 26" tube.
1 - it works.
2 - I have a 26" rear wheel, so I only need to keep one size.
3 - Any bike shops has them.
Yep my bad, I misread the post :madman:

26" tubes work just fine in 650b for non-tubeless. Thanks for the correction :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.