Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new updated sized Velocity Blunt B rim today and after lacing her up I decided to go tubeless with my Pacenti Neo Motos.

I used the clear tape from an older freeride No Tubes kit and rim strips from the 29er kit. I was going to use the rim strips off a 26" kit but upon mounting them they didn't appear to offer enough coverage and or get close enough to the bead of the rim/tire to offer a tight seal. The 29er rim strip wasn't as tight as I would have liked, but it seemed tight enough for horse shoes and hand grenades and the proximity of the strip to the bead of the rim was much more promising.

So far the tire is holding air and doesn't appear to have any leaks. The bead seeded up with no problems with the help of an air compressor. I'm going to take my bike for a spin tomorrow morning. With a rigid fork and rocky terrain I should be able to get a good idea if this setup is going to work. If I have success I'll switch the rear over to tubeless as well.

btw-The new decals on the Blunts are remarkably improved:thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Moose, be careful. I know I sound like a broken record, but by golly I'm a little bugged by this Blunt sizing deal...and I personally experienced what can happen when one lets go on the trail...thank goodness for full coverage helmets and body armor.

I'm guessing you're back in Utah now? I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the 650B in your home terrain...which I assume will be quite different from your experience in that race you reported on recently. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the Quasi works in your drier environment.

Moose, have you had the chance to closely inspect and measure the alleged difference in the new and old Blunt? The ones at our shop exhibited a miniscule amount of size difference. The Neo still flops on the rim something terrible IMO...at least at any level that I'll try running tubeless again. I did run my Blunt/Neo at Moab with a tube in it with excellent results for over two weeks. This was on the front of a Nomad that got pushed decently hard in fast, rocky, technical terrain. I will not, however, consider running the Blunt tubeless anymore unless they have another more dramatic upsizing.

Moose, I had a Stan's 26" FR strip on my Blunt which had an ideal fit. I ran this setup for 3-4 weeks with no issue. The fit must have been pretty darned ideal to hold this loose fitting combination for as long as it did. But when it let go, it did it without warning during a fast, technical stretch of trail. It let go in a left hand roll-in where traction was excellent. The tire came off the rim in one big motion...not just a bead separation at one point or on one side. The tire was wadded up in the fork with a naked wheel just sticking "out there". I've never seen anything like it, even back to the days of the roll-yer-own tubeless days of packing tape, electrical tape, latex mold builder, and a prayer.

I'm not trying to be dramatic here, but if you're going to run this combo, be extremely aware of the potential.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually had a close call tonight. I got super beligerently drunk as one of the shop employees came back from the weekend from Fort Collins with liquid goodies of joy. I took the long way home(had more than my fair share) and my final few miles home from work was on some super steep techy single track. I ran right into a substantially sized rock in the dark at full speed. The tire started spewing No Tubes sealant like a fountain. It sealed right up within a minute. I was able to ride the rest of the way home at a moderately retarded pace. I will heed your warning as far as being extra cautious on slick rock and trails of the likes of Gooseberry.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Ouch...that's interesting. When your eyes uncross tomorrow...LOL!...would you mind looking at that tire closely to see if you can tell whether that spewing Stan's was coming from a hole in the tire or actually from the bead area. I've been amazed at the ruggedness of the Neo...at least as a front tire in my experience up to this point. Between myself and two other guys at the shop who are running front/rear Neo setups on Stan's 355's, none of us have poked a hole in a Neo up to this point...and we have lots of sharp, pointy rocks in west Texas. The only issue for us has been the loose Blunt/Neo fit. No tire is indestructible, but I'd be curious to know where the spewing Stan's was coming from.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
I second TNC as for reliability of Stans 355 and Neo.
I've been running this setup tubeless with just the yellow tape for a while now and had no issues. I'm in some seriously rocky terrain right now (hollidays:p) with pretty nice downhill sections. I weigh 210lbs no gear in the moment:eek: (first time in my live). I've torn apart a brand new NobbyNic SnakeSkin 2.4 yesterday running tubeless on mav 819 on the fastest part of the trip packed with loose, edged stones. Totaly ripped one knob from the side and spilled all stans on the trail. Lucky for me the tire lost pressure slow enough for me to notice and stop in bushes (lost grip in the last bit:p)
neo working just fine. no air loss, no ripped knobs, no burps, nothing.
amazing
thanks kirk.
wish I could have sth that solid in the back.
It is more rocky than my usual stuff though.
ah, a pic from the top won't hurt:p
Forest Soil Woodland Trunk Grove

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
TNC said:
Krolik, you said you're on vacation...where is that location in the pic?
Yep, I have my vacation now, my parents moved there half a year ago.
First of all, just to get things straight - I'm not interested in your tongue TNC but you might as well try not to brake it on this:
Place is Jaworzyna Mountain in central part of Beskidy Male, south of Bielsko-Biala, Southern Poland. Pic doesn't quite show how rocky place realy is. Everything around 1000 meters above see level but you start trip at below 300, most of it rideable up- and certainly downhill.
Love it.
LT loves it.
Neo-moto loves it.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
LOL!...OK now, krolik. I do indeed hope you're "not interested in my tongue".:skep:

Hey...just funnin' with you. I know there must be a language issue in your statement there, but it sure sounded funny. I know darned well that you speak way better English than I speak Polish.

That's pretty country there in your pic. I knew you were from Poland but wasn't sure if you were on vacation in Poland. You ought to make a post with some riding stories and pics from Poland. I think most of us would be fascinated to see them. That's a country that we don't hear much from in the way of MTB'ing, and I'll bet others would like to see and hear some stuff about what kind of mountainbiking you have there.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
TNC said:
LOL!...OK now, krolik. I do indeed hope you're "not interested in my tongue".:skep:
I don't realy feel the urge to prove I like women more than men. No issues here, so no real need to prove anything:p I intentionaly put it this way - sounds funny in Polish, I might revise it a bit in English though:p
Allright.
I do think of posting some pics and stories for some time now. In the other thread someone stated he's ashamed to be polish or sth alike. Well I'm not. I don't assume Poland is better than other countries in many areas but I sure don't agree to say it sucks. In any aspect.
And sure not in terms of mtbing:p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

Slam straight into a rock. It didn't burp sealant. I was leaking sealant from a puncture to the tire. For a few rides the puncture was opening back up and sealing back up shortly there after. Not fast enough to warrant putting more air back in the tire. The past several rides I have had no issues. I have been running them as low as 25 psi and have rallied them hard enough to fold the tire over a few times on the rear, but have yet to have them 'burp' any sealant. I have found them to be ideal just shy of 30psi...otherwise they feel a bit squirly with harder cornering. I don't think the sidewalls are stiff enough to run much lower pressures with the tubeless setup. The beauty of this setup thus far has been no flats since the conversion. For the longest time I had been plagued by thorns and the occasional pinch flat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.