Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching but didn't find what I was looking for so here goes...

How is the 'trail' affected when using a 650B wheel with a (made for) 26" fork? Does it make the bike longer or does it affect it at all? (Assuming you are using a frameset built for 650B.)

(This isn't a question about whether 650B is the right way to go or not, this a question coming from someone that is very intrigued by 650B and wants to build a new hardtail as soon as he can make sense of it all! :thumbsup: )

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
The trail increases whenever you increase the radius of the wheel/tire and also increases when you raise the front end(decrease the Head Angle). So, when you put a 650b wheel in a 26" fork, the trail increases both because of lifting up the front end about 1/2" and by increasing the wheel radius by 1/2".
The lifting part decreases the HA by about 0.6 degrees.
It does not make the bike longer by putting on a larger wheel.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/trail.asp?calculate2=yes#Actual Trail Calculator
is a great trail calculator(the 2nd calculator on the page).

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
A 650b specific fork makes the wheelbase longer, but only by about the 1/4 inch greater offset dimension over a 26'er fork.

Using a 26'er fork with the same a2c, travel, and sag as a 650b fork on the same bike would have about 0.10 inch more trail. That is about the affect of adding about 1/3 degree slacker head angle to steering - you probably wouldn't notice after the first ride, if ever. Steering feel is more about what you are used to. Going to a different bike will have plenty of change to get adjusted to.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rat Pack

I guess that makes this the Rat Pack forum... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, I think I've got it covered now - cannot wait to build up a Rat Pack bike!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.