Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times so I apologize in advance. I'm interested in trying some 650b wheels on my commuter bike, and so I'm looking for some tires that are extremely low rolling resistance because the bike sees mostly pavement and just a few dirt trails here and there during my commute to work. I know the list of 650b tires is currently short and growing; since I'm new to the 650b universe I was hoping someone could recommend something. A semi slick mountain tire is really what i would love to use. Does anything exist or should I just HTFU and put some neos on it? :rockon:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Cool, glad its what you were looking for. I wish I had some personal experience with 650b tires to pass on, but alas, I do not. 650b.com has a pretty thorough review of the Fatty Rumpkins. Of course, Grant Paterson likes all of them - he designed most of them (or something like that).

·
Registered
847 Posts
I tried the Rumpkins commuting last year and they were ok. I also took them out on hardpack and was surprised how well they stuck. IMO they are best as a bad pavement, rail trail, mild dirt tire.

Compared to a real mtb tire they would be lower rolling resistance but I'm not sure that I would characterize them as "extremely low rolling resistance". On regular city pavement they are comfy but not very fast.

chazz michael michaels said:
I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times so I apologize in advance. I'm interested in trying some 650b wheels on my commuter bike, and so I'm looking for some tires that are extremely low rolling resistance because the bike sees mostly pavement and just a few dirt trails here and there during my commute to work. I know the list of 650b tires is currently short and growing; since I'm new to the 650b universe I was hoping someone could recommend something. A semi slick mountain tire is really what i would love to use. Does anything exist or should I just HTFU and put some neos on it? :rockon:

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Quasi..

The good thing about the Quasi Moto is it's long wearing properties ... the rubber is quite hard and the small knobs roll well on hardpack and pavement... :thumbsup: Whilst not in the same class as a WTB Nano for commuting, it does very well nonetheless.

My only proviso on the Pacenti tires is to be aware that the wet grip is waaay down because of the harder rubber compound. Apart from that, they are brilliant tires.

Rainman.

·
nothing relevant to say
1,372 Posts
Schwalbe also offers this tire.

I have something similar to it in my 'inventory' of tires. I took mine off road and it held well enough to call it an all-surface type tire.

The marathon is a tried and true tire for paved surfaces. It's also nice for the reflective sidewall, for riding near lighted vehicles.

Get some for riding on streets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had been considering some quasi's but was curious if they were good on pavement- glad some of you vets have some experience with them. I'm probably going to try a set out because I want to run some 650b's in a weekly cross series in the fall.

Thanks for all the information and reviews on the scwalbe's, rumpkins, and quasi's- it was exactly what I needed to get going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.