Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm making the jump from 26" to 650B and I'm finding there just isn't a whole lot of tire selection available. I currently use a Nevegal 2.3 on the front and a SB8 2.1 on the back. They are both UST tubeless. I see that Kenda now makes the Nevegal for 650B so no changes in the front other than the new tire is not made specifically for tubeless. So I'm wondering if there is a 650B tire available that is comparable to the SB8? Would that be the Quasi-Moto? The terrain I ride is typically hard pack to loose over hard pack.

Sorry if this is a repost but I couldn't find anything under the search feature. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
txnrider said:
Hello all,

I'm making the jump from 26" to 650B and I'm finding there just isn't a whole lot of tire selection available. I currently use a Nevegal 2.3 on the front and a SB8 2.1 on the back. They are both UST tubeless. I see that Kenda now makes the Nevegal for 650B so no changes in the front other than the new tire is not made specifically for tubeless. So I'm wondering if there is a 650B tire available that is comparable to the SB8? Would that be the Quasi-Moto? The terrain I ride is typically hard pack to loose over hard pack.

Sorry if this is a repost but I couldn't find anything under the search feature. Thanks.
The Schwalbe Racing Ralph is the closest to the SB8
The Pacenti Quasi-Moto is knobbier but also fast.

There are no tubeless 650B tires.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
88 rex said:
Shiggy,

I don't know if you posted it anywhere, but do you have any thoughts on the new Wolverine? Is it a short tread, rolls fast, lots of bite type of tire? Any measurements yet?

Thanks!
I have not used a Wolverine yet and do not know when the B version will be available.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
That's the one I'm awaiting

88 rex said:
Wolverine. Is it a short tread, rolls fast, lots of bite type of tire.
Running a 26" in back now. Probably start with this tire for 650 up front and roll to back after I can afford to get a rr wheel built. Neo/Nevagal 2.1 up front thru winter.

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
Wtb 650b

Shiggy,

My local bike shop here in Austin says that WTB as a big shipment of tires on a boat and they should be delivered in 2-3 weeks. They were pretty sure that the would be a 650B tire comin for WTB, but they were not sure wich tire. Any idea what tire thay may be offering on the bigger format? Looking for something lighter and the Navegal! Any info would be appreciated.

MadDuc

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
MadDuc916 said:
Shiggy,

My local bike shop here in Austin says that WTB as a big shipment of tires on a boat and they should be delivered in 2-3 weeks. They were pretty sure that the would be a 650B tire comin for WTB, but they were not sure wich tire. Any idea what tire thay may be offering on the bigger format? Looking for something lighter and the Navegal! Any info would be appreciated.

MadDuc
BTI has the wolverine on their site, but not in stock yet. After I posted my question to Shiggy I did a quick google and it pulled up a twitter account from someone from WTB who was telling someone else that the 650b's would be here in a month. That twitter post was from Nov 19th.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
First ride on the 2.35 nev yesterday

JMac47 said:
Running a 26" in back now. Probably start with this tire for 650 up front and roll to back after I can afford to get a rr wheel built. Neo/Nevagal 2.1 up front thru winter.
In the marin wet rocks, ruts and slop. Really improved once i dropped the PSI.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
It may but

shiggy said:
The Quasi uses the same casing as the 2.35 Neo-Moto.
After comparing the specs from your site its just to small for my liking. The RR sucked in the marin rocks,ruts and slop yesterday. I going to try the 2.35 moto in back. I figure if the RR clears everything then the moto should too

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
Thanks Rex

88Rex,

Thanks for the update, this is pretty much the info I have been getting as well. I am hoping to see some tires in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for confirming the the Wolverine will be the 650B offered, that's great news, the tire works well here in Austin!

Happy Holidays,

MadDuc

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MadDuc916 said:
Shiggy,

MadDuc
The 650B Wolverine (2.2) was announced at interbike and is in the 2010 catalog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MadDuc -
You have the BMC, correct? Just wondering what tire you are using now? Is your back wheel 650B as well? If so, which tire did you go with?

Thanks.

MadDuc916 said:
88Rex,

Thanks for the update, this is pretty much the info I have been getting as well. I am hoping to see some tires in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for confirming the the Wolverine will be the 650B offered, that's great news, the tire works well here in Austin!

Happy Holidays,

MadDuc

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
88 rex said:
Shiggy,

I don't know if you posted it anywhere, but do you have any thoughts on the new Wolverine? Is it a short tread, rolls fast, lots of bite type of tire? Any measurements yet?

Thanks!
I think I bought one of the prototypes from Wish I Were Riding......I can't even remember. I'll look tonight and if you want, I can throw it on my Carver in the back. Although we now have about 6" of snow on the ground where I live - so my review won't mean much. ;)

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
Only half way there!!

Txnrider,

I just built a new BMC foourstroke 02, I we tried to get the 650B to fit in the back but we came up about an 1/4 inch short with a 2.0 Quasi Moto, so I am sticking with a 26 Wolverine 2.2 in the rear. I am running a 2.3 Nevagal in the front. The combination is working great, but the Nevegal is pretty heavy. I am hoping that the Wolverine 650B will arrive soon, I am going to give it a try. That should get the bike down to 25 pounds even, which was the goal for the build. The Wolverine is working great in back, but I have not spent much time at LGT so I am curious how the sidewalls will hold up in the cheese grater rocks! Hopefully the new 650 B's will show up soon!

MadDuc

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
Txnrider,

Will do, shoould get plenty of rides in on the wolverine the next two weeks. Arode St. ed's today no issues with the rear, plenty of traction in the lose stuff, little slipping on the wet rock's as long as I stayed in the saddle. More reports as I hit a few more spots, PB, BCGB, CP and LGT in the next week or so. Have a good week!

Happy Holidays!!
MadDuc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.