Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have fantasies of a 650b-wheeled 3-4 seasons adventure bike, sort of in the flavor of the 29" + theme, 3" wide tires, 4 - 5 cm wide (carbon?) hoops, possibly front-suspended up to 100-120 mm, mtb geometry w/ short-ish (16.9 - 17.3") chain stays… Does this bike already exist??

I'm not sure if this mythical steed could run a mtb-width BB (68 - 73mm), or whether it would need 100mm width. ...Related -does anybody know what's the widest tire that fits on a standard mtb BB? I suppose responses would have to specify a 1x or 2x drivetrain.

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The widest 650B rim I know about is the Derby 40mm rim. I think I heard a rumor that a wide 27.5 tire was coming in the next year, but I'm not positive. I don't know what the widest 27.5 tire available is today. The closest bikes I can think of come from Surly. They have maybe a bike or two that will take 650B wheels, but likely not in the width you're after. Surly also just came out with the Instigator, but it's 26x3.0 tired on 50mm rims. It's also at about 140mm of fork. So not exactly what you're after.

Prediction: In the next two years 27.5+ bikes will be all the rage.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
A 27.5 fat wheel would be bigger than a regular fat wheel.

Also, how would the 3" wide tires fit on the 4-5" wide rims?
Yeah, the OP is a bit confused I'm guessing. From the sounds of it, he wants a 27.5+ bike, which really isn't a fat bike. Maybe the OP means he/she would like to know if there is there a 650B fat bike that allows one to switch to 27.5 rims/tires? Anyways, I believe the answer to all of his questions is: no. The reason: nobody is making the rims or tires.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops, I mean 4 - 5 cm wide rims, so that's 1.5 - 2". Sorry, I misspoke.

Indeed, a 27.5+ bike isn't really a fat bike. I'm imagining a minimalist hybrid between the current mtb and fat bike. Sure, such a bike wouldn't be the choice ride in deep powder or sand, but it would have the benefits of larger tires (traction and some dampening) and still be fun on single track.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 27.5 fat wheel would be bigger than a regular fat wheel.
You know, that's quite possible. With less width (3" vs. 4-5" fat bike), I've been assuming that a 3" tire would be lower profile too.

The only option I've seen so far is also just in a design/pre-release phase:

Taipei Cycle Show: Vee Tire Co. Fatbike Tires ? Bigger, Studded, 29+, and 27.5? Fatbikes?

The critical question is whether or not the overall wheel -with the 3.25" wide tires -rides larger or smaller than a 29" wheel. I'd be interested if it is somewhere between standard 27.5" and 29er wheel/tire combo.

·
Lord Thunderbottom
915 Posts
650B = 584mm rim, basically 23" add a 3.0 tire to each end and it's basically a 29er, I see no need for this

the 26+ surly instigator is amusing to me, standard parts with fairly big tire clearance without quite going fatbike

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
650B = 584mm rim, basically 23" add a 3.0 tire to each end and it's basically a 29er, I see no need for this

the 26+ surly instigator is amusing to me, standard parts with fairly big tire clearance without quite going fatbike
Hm, I think you may be right, if the idea is to have 3" wide rubber on a wheel with rolling diameter between a standard 650b and 29er wheel. 26"+ likely is the better starting point for a wheel with those specifications. Maybe this thread should be renamed "26 inch plus / mini fat -does this bike exist?"...

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hm, I think you may be right, if the idea is to have 3" wide rubber on a wheel with rolling diameter between a standard 650b and 29er wheel. 26"+ likely is the better starting point for a wheel with those specifications. Maybe this thread should be renamed "26 inch plus / mini fat -does this bike exist?"...
Yes, the new Surly Instigator with the Dirt Wizard tire. I think the Surly 1x1, or is it the Troll, could work too. Plus, any fatbike that someone wants to put a 50mm rim on and use a 26x2.75-3.0 tire. However, I rather like the 27.5+ idea myself. Who doesn't like more cush and traction? Ok, it would be a niche bike, but so is 29+. So is the new Instigator. So were fat bikes.

Now, most the folks who have been in the fat forum a long time consider fat bikes to be snow/sand/muck bikes and would prefer more traditional trail bikes during dry times. However, the market, and the industry folks, seem to be thinking/saying that fat bikes are going to take over a lot of the riding in dry times as well, at least in the hardtail/full rigid segment. I think we'll be surprised by how many folks are riding fat year round.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...However, the market, and the industry folks, seem to be thinking/saying that fat bikes are going to take over a lot of the riding in dry times as well, at least in the hardtail/full rigid segment. I think we'll be surprised by how many folks are riding fat year round.
I'd love to ride a fat bike year round. I mean, who doesn't giggle like a kid on a fat bike? If maximum fun is the object…

I think the most likely factor to introduce this is anything that decreases the rolling weight of a fat bike tire, and increases the range and places where a fat bike tire can be pedaled. So that means carbon rims (price of which determines the size of the market) and weight of the tires. There's lots of potential for technological refinement/improvement and price "maturation," imo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.