Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read the second page. I don't experience the harshness at higher speeds through rocks. I'm sure my high end coil suspension is a big factor in my ride's lack of harshness with the same tires. And I think he was relatively comparing the feel to much bigger volume 26 inch tires or 29'er 2.3 tires.

The width posted was not correct at "2.19 inch". I just measured my 2.3's again, and the current 2.3 size is still 2 3/8's inches, slightly over 2.3" at the widest cross section, at the knobs edge to edge. And the casing is 2 1/8 inches, 2.125" on 28mm Blunt rims. Wider knobs than casing protect the sidewall in rocks. Wider casing than knobs do offer a smoother ride but no sidewall protection.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good review but I think the authors mention of being bounced around on babyheads is clearly due to the fact that he is running tubes. My local trail is 90% babyheads uphill, downhill, and everywhere in between. I always experienced that bouncy feeling on 26" tubed tires and 26" UST tires. It wasn't until I went tubeless with the exact same 26" set-up that the bouncy feeling went away. Now I run 650b tubeless with Quasis and Neo 2.1's and don't experience the bouncy feeling either. Although I've noticed that after riding a new tire for a couple of weeks it does get smoother riding.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I converted my 5" travel trail bike to 650b 2 seasons ago. I came off Kenda Cortez 2.4" 26er's and went to the 2.3 Neomoto's. I ran the same pressures for both 26 & 650b - F 32psi, R 35 psi. I did feel the Neomoto gave a "firmer" ride. I wouldn't go as far as saying harsh but it really felt like my tires were slightly over inflated. I came across a "Neomoto tire pressure" thread and was suprised to see how low the pressures that were being run by so many riders tubed or not ,18 - 30 psi. I currently run a Nevegal front and Wolwerine rear (f 32 r 38 psi) - the rubber compound feels softer to the hand than the Neomoto.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think the Neo-Motos really shine when run tubeless, so I don't believe this review was done under the most favorable of conditions if tubes were used. Their relatively thicker sidewall allows for them to run tubeless quite reliably and perform very well. It also means that adding a tube will most likely firm up the ride more than other tires, due to there being so much more material to begin with.

Alternatively I would not recommend say the Kenda 650b tires be run tubeless, due to a much weaker sidewall. One person even reported the tires expanding enough to rub his front derailleur under suspension compression when run tubeless, but with tubes there was no rubbing. That amount of expansion tells me the Kenda tires are too soft and thin to be recommended for a tubeless application.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Yes Kenda with tube

salimoneus said:
I think the Neo-Motos really shine when run tubeless, so I don't believe this review was done under the most favorable of conditions if tubes were used. Their relatively thicker sidewall allows for them to run tubeless quite reliably and perform very well. It also means that adding a tube will most likely firm up the ride more than other tires, due to there being so much more material to begin with.

Alternatively I would not recommend say the Kenda 650b tires be run tubeless, due to a much weaker sidewall. One person even reported the tires expanding enough to rub his front derailleur under suspension compression when run tubeless, but with tubes there was no rubbing. That amount of expansion tells me the Kenda tires are too soft and thin to be recommended for a tubeless application.
Running 2.1 Nev up front of the SS HT. I am ordering another 2.1 Neo tomorrow now that my rear wheel is finished for the 5" FS. Will be my first full tubeless wheelset. The best thing is that it's 650 too. :cool:

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
OH! It's on now........

keen said:
I converted my 5" travel trail bike to 650b 2 seasons ago.I did feel the Neomoto gave a "firmer" ride. I wouldn't go as far as saying harsh but it really felt like my tires were slightly over inflated. I came across a "Neomoto tire pressure" thread and was suprised to see how low the pressures that were being run by so many riders tubed or not ,18 - 30 psi. I currently run a Nevegal front and Wolwerine rear (f 32 r 38 psi) - the rubber compound feels softer to the hand than the Neomoto.
Well, on it's way on soon anyway! :thumbsup: Going on the back of the squishy for a hopeful spin this weekend, weather permitting. Probably start out f 30/r 32 and go from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I ride a Neo 2.3 tubeless on a rigid bike. I have no issue with harshness at 30 PSI.

It's a bit funny that a weakness is that it's "too skinny." I took the 2.3 off of the rear because it was "too fat" - I'm running a Quasi Moto 2.0 instead. I guess there's no account for different tastes. ;)

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Xct 555

Hurricane Jeff said:
What KHS frame is that? does it have adeqate 650b tire clearence? how do you like the frame.
140mm travel. Switched out the XTR triple for an FSA Afterburner I had and its 2x9 w/ bashring now. Liking it. Has enuf tire clearence if the shock doesnt totally calapse. :D I'm going to reduce travel of shock by probably 5-10mm (1/2" at most) depending on what is needed with a 2.1 Neo. 130-135mm still plenty more then I usually run on my HT. ;) Got both 2.1 tires set up tubeless W/ Stans. Testing it out on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.