Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

So I kept hearing that 650B is new Tech, and such, then how come Sherwood designed a 650B Compatible frame way back in 1998? :eek: :D

So what's an injured Ventaphile supposed to do while recovering from a Roadie mishap?
Tinker with the rest of his toys!:thumbsup:

I originally wanted to see if My Raleigh Mojave 8.0 frame cleared the 650B wheels (It does) but then I noticed that my Marble seemed to have the same amount if not more available clearance than the Raleigh,so I threw the wheels on and sure enough they clear the frame, no clearance issues at full travel either. BTW, that a 00 Judy XC fork that also clears the 650B at the arch, or at full compression.

So far in the parking lot test (my cul de sac) It feels fairly normal, the wheels spin up easily, but the front does feel slower to turn than the original 26'ers. Rolling up curbs is noticeably easier. I hope to feel up to riding dirt by this weekend and give the old girl a try and see how she feels with the new wheel size.

Couple of Caveats: One:- THIS is NOT condoned by Ventana, this is just me playing around with my old Frame.
Two: It appears that only 18" and UP sized Marbles will work as the 16" had shorter seat stays that will not clear the rear tire.

I do need to thank a generous benefactor for letting me borrow the wheels for test fitting and test riding. Awful expensive buy-in with this wheel size right now.

Here's a few pics...

Attachments

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dieselcruiserhead said:
Cool, almost looks like it was made to fit :)
Yes it does! I was quite shocked by that. In Fact my wife said to me, it's the same, what's the big deal?:p

Hopefully I will see what the big deal is on Sunday.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Yes it does! I was quite shocked by that. In Fact my wife said to me, it's the same, what's the big deal?:p

Hopefully I will see what the big deal is on Sunday.
If yer riding this weekend....bring your oxygen tank. It's so nasty out here right now. Yuk.

I'm taking off Saturday right after work and heading for the north coast. Hoping to get to ride in the redwoods without smoke filling my lungs.:madman:

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weather guessers have said it should be better by Sunday, so let's hope they guess right this time.

Early mornings the smoke doesn't seemt too bad anyway, it's the hot temps + smoke that gets really icky.

Enjoy the Coast!

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
I'm digging the concept but I will wait to see more forks and tires before plonking down real money. :)

A steel Hartail 650B sounds good though I know after a few bone-jarring rides, it will be relegated to smooth-trail duty. I'd like to know how the Bastardo compares to the Salty, if anyone has some feedback after riding both. Does it feel as steep or does it feel a bit slacker? How about nimbleness and climbing/descending ability?

If this takes off, we should start to see more at each 650Bs at successive Inter Bike but there will probably not be significant traction till the fork manufacturers get into it or a big company starts producing frames (maybe these two things are not mutually exclusive though).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Flyer said:
If this takes off, we should start to see more at each 650Bs at successive Inter Bike but there will probably not be significant traction till the fork manufacturers get into it or a big company starts producing frames (maybe these two things are not mutually exclusive though).
650b is here to stay is the word, at least in terms of goods coming down the pike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.