Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Uncle
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Between the blogs, MTBR, and notubes.com, I've seen lots of ways to set up a 650b tire: Tubes, ghetto tubeless, Olympic rim strips, the Yellow Tape & olympic stem combo, 3M packaging tape, etc. But I haven't seen too much clear info about what's best for what situations.

Me: 190lb (loaded) XC rider -- 50% fire roads, 50% ST, and the same ratio for smooth trails:rocky / rooty trails (Tamarancho primarily, if you're so informed). I don't ride super hard; I don't think I've ever managed 3' of air in a jump -- most jumps ~1' of air likely. I race 2-4 times per year, and I ride 2-3x per week.

Bike: SC Blur XC ~4" of travel, with stan's ztr355 & neomoto in front / Olympic 26" with Michelin XC mud in the rear.

I want to set it up using the most reliable non-UST tubeless method, but which one is that? I want to say the rim strips are the way to go, but if you've done the yellow tape method, and you've run rim strips, let me know which you've had the most luck with.

Thanks much for the help with this & happy holidays.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I don't think you can beat ghetto tubeless on non-Stans rims, personally.
If you plan to run 650B using Stans rims, then just yellow tape is usually sufficient.
I'm currently running 650B on an Ibis Mojo using ghetto tubeless setup with Velocity Blunt rims with no problems at all, no roll-offs or burps ... and I give them a hard time.. :thumbsup:

R.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I would say for you the most reliable set-up would be ZTR 355's WITH the rim strip. Some of the heavier guys had issues with burping without the strip. I run my neo-motos with only the yellow tape, but I'm well below 190 lbs. I have never had them burp and they have been through all kinds of rock gardens and all kinds of speeds.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I've been running the Olympic strip in the ZTR355 on the front of a Nomad for several months now with no issues of burping or bead separation. All this while riding in fairly rocky technical terrain. The ZTR355 would not be my first choice even as just a front wheel for my Nomad and type of riding, but happily it has held up fine and hasn't even needed to be trued. Frankly I'm surprised.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.