Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
who out there is playinh with this combo have done 69er but steers a little floopy, think this might b betterr combo

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
current pic

current 96/69er, as per pic, going to straight 26 for a while until can decide and russle up cash for 650b front wheel. using 445mm carbon fork

Attachments

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
current 96/69er, as per pic, going to straight 26 for a while until can decide and russle up cash for 650b front wheel. using 445mm carbon fork
Yeah, you'll have no problem converting that to 650B in the front.

Stu at definitve cycles can hook you up with the wheel. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
650B up front works well

I have a 650B on the front and 26" on the back of my Trance and love it. I think that this combination makes more sence when modifying a 26 " frame than going to a full 69er. BTW the Neo Motos are great tires.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all

Ok so we should sya a thank you, and "roll on" the next experiment.

Kirk, just read your interviews in the Aussie mags, cool. I'm talking with Velicity about a wheel atm, and then Stu, who I'm buying some fork from this week, for a tyre.

Would love to see pics of anyone's finished product:thumbsup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I put a 650B on the front of my XS Titus Racer X and I like it, the steering slowed down just a bit which is OK cause it was very quick before. I like how it rolls over obstacles, I am sure it saved me a few times at Downieville :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
650B front wheel on the way

Hey all,
Got a 650B wheel on the way from Velocity, and a Neo Moto tyre as well from Definitive cycles here in Australia.

Should be here this week so I'm hoping to have it rolling next weekend.

A could of other upgrades are also on the way: Cane Creek Direct Curve brake levers, Direct Curve 5 rear brake caliper, and eventually a BB7 to replace the current Winzip cable disc on the front. (FYI the winzip is similar in design to the IRD cable discs, It has proven to be very difficult to set up to get any decent power at all. and last time out on the bike, in the spec shown in the above pic, sqealled so bad sent small children and animals running.......no joke u should have seen the mob of kangaroos go!!!).

Will Post more pics when the wheel is fitted into the bike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Geometry question:

I keep looking at current 26" FS frames available, and they all seem to be built around a 100mm travel fork. If you took a 650b and an 80mm fork, wouldn't the geometry remain pretty much unchanged?

·
Registered
449 Posts
88 rex said:
Geometry question:

I keep looking at current 26" FS frames available, and they all seem to be built around a 100mm travel fork. If you took a 650b and an 80mm fork, wouldn't the geometry remain pretty much unchanged?
the H/A would stay pretty close, sure. maybe slightly steeper even? (quicker)

the trail would still change tho.

either way, just putting a 650B/neo or quasi on the front of a 26" bike regardless of the travel fork doesn't upset the geometry enough to warrant reducing your travel by 20mm IMHO.....now if you're talking changing to a 29 front wheel, sure reduce the travel by at least that much.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the finished product

Here she is,
Finishing touches to add,
Cane creek Direct surve brake levels
Cane Creek Direct Curev 5 brake for the rear wheel
And
Avid BB7 Brake for the front wheel.

Love people's opinions?

Ozbikebuddy:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
650B/26 is a great combo...

I've been running this Nomad setup for about 9 months. It absolutely shined in the techncial riding at Moab...both climbing and descending.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
this entire section of the forum is mostly devoted to 650B wheels.

650B is a rim size between a 26" and 29" sometimes referred to as 27.5". it has been around for along time, and up until now mostly used on european commuter-type bikes.

have a look at the stickies at the top of this subforum as to what forks fit, there are a handful of 650b specific forks, any 29" fork will work, and quite a few 26" forks work, most notably fox 26" forks.

but yeah, have a look around the sticky posts for more in depth explanation of 650B...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts