Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I'm planning on picking up a pair of 650s to try on my DH bike as soon as someone makes a real DH tire for them that I like. I hate Nevegals (plus their single ply sidewall is hardly DH worthy) and nobody else makes anything even close either.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Seriously? How do you figure? The whole point in waiting for a real DH tire is that I intend to ride it every bit as aggressively as I do in it's current 26er configuration. I can't see bigger wheels making people loose interest in riding hard. That makes no sense.

·
derp
948 Posts
I simply don't see the point of a 650b DH bike. Bigger wheels are much better suited for climbing and long hours in the saddle, neither of which are applicable to shredding the gnar.
The bigger wheels *descend* better, keep more momentum and have more traction. Which one of these characteristics doesn't apply to DH ?

I picture the DH trails morphing into really aggressive XC tracks.
This makes absolutely no sense, i've seen riders with mid-travel 29er bikes destroy many on DH bikes on the trails. A bike with a good geometry will do its job no matter what the wheel size, you'll only ride differently to take advantage of each wheel characteristics.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I don't normally "roll" over stuff @ Mach Sh!tStain. YMMV.

...and, I'd rather have the quicker steering capabilities of a 26".

My point, I guess, is that there is a reason for the increased travel of DH sled.
My DH bike will clear a 650b unmodified. I won't lose travel, I won't change the geometry any, except raising the BB a little.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@ Lobodander: You know that second video you posted is all BS. Bigger wheels climb better due to the fact that obstacles appear smaller so the wheel rolls over them instead of crashing at them.

·
derp
948 Posts
You lost me at "better."
It's called "physics", you should look into it :thumbsup:

And I've seen guys on Huffy's that would put almost every singly 650b fanboy to shame! What's your point?
Ohh someone threw the "fanboy" card ! That is so original you might get an award for that :rolleyes: You even add funny videos, let me join the party !

This dudes 26er rides so good that it rides by itself !

·
74 & 29 pilot
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
WOW Lobo! I have yet to see such a string of more ignorant posts. :eek:

No reason to call people names; Just shows your insecurities :thumbsup:

You really should brush up on your physics :confused: Please explain how to raise the bottom bracket and decrease the head angle at the same time without putting a bigger wheel out front... OH, and for cheaper:nono:

Oh, and yes there is proof that 650b wheels descend better; I use a 650b on the front of my Firebird once in a while and I can tell the difference in how it rolls over chunk and straight edges better.

I don't normally give neg reps, but you ALMOST changes that; Almost.

I'll stop feeding the troll now:madman:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like the idea of 650b and even 29er but I also don't like it at the same time. It's cool if it makes things easier for some (but so do training wheels, right?) It seems that the new way of the world is to make things easier (weather it be with bigger wheels or something else) rather than finding ways to do things better with what you have.

I do understand we should always improve products or we would be stuck back in the days of the full rigid frame but it really seems its like a double edge sword at times. I guess the bottom line is as long as people enjoy what they are doing and more people are having fun doing it, then all is good. However, I do think these racing organizations need to start nailing down the rules and limitations and keeping some things as standards or who knows what kind of crazy things we could see in the coming years!

·
74 & 29 pilot
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so your second sentence contradicts the first and the last.:eekster:
Okay, now for an English lesson:

IGNORANT
ig·no·rant   [ig-ner-uhnt]
adjective
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
uninformed; unaware.
due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

I wasn't calling you a name and "Troll" is referring to a new member who just goes around stirring up $h!t.

Good DAY, Sir!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I like the idea of 650b and even 29er but I also don't like it at the same time. It's cool if it makes things easier for some (but so do training wheels, right?) It seems that the new way of the world is to make things easier (weather it be with bigger wheels or something else) rather than finding ways to do things better with what you have.

I do understand we should always improve products or we would be stuck back in the days of the full rigid frame but it really seems its like a double edge sword at times. I guess the bottom line is as long as people enjoy what they are doing and more people are having fun doing it, then all is good. However, I do think these racing organizations need to start nailing down the rules and limitations and keeping some things as standards or who knows what kind of crazy things we could see in the coming years!
You make valid points. True improvements DO make riding "easier" in a sense, but it's always the rider not the bike. I moved up to 650b wheels because I can clean obstacles up and down on those wheels I can't on 26". It's not for lack of practice, I've been riding over 20 years. I just reached my personal athletic limit on 26", which is on a different plane than say, Brian Lopes or any local who rides at Whistler, Moab, Sedona, etc. There is stuff that I'm simply not athletic enough to handle on smaller wheels - and I admit it. But if I didn't have that experience on the 26'er, the 650b wheels in and of themselves wouldn't do squat. My experience and ability + bigger wheels = more rideable terrain, less dismounts, and more fun.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You make valid points. True improvements DO make riding "easier" in a sense, but it's always the rider not the bike. I moved up to 650b wheels because I can clean obstacles up and down on those wheels I can't on 26". It's not for lack of practice, I've been riding over 20 years. I just reached my personal athletic limit on 26", which is on a different plane than say, Brian Lopes or any local who rides at Whistler, Moab, Sedona, etc. There is stuff that I'm simply not athletic enough to handle on smaller wheels - and I admit it. But if I didn't have that experience on the 26'er, the 650b wheels in and of themselves wouldn't do squat. My experience and ability + bigger wheels = more rideable terrain, less dismounts, and more fun.
This reminds me of the question I hear a lot on rides, when we come upon a sketchy section - "is it rideable?".
To which I usually reply: "Yeah, it's rideable, just not by you. An iron fence or chain is rideable, if you have the skills..."

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
I switched over both my STINKYs to 650 because I use them as trail bikes as well
and 46 lbs isn't fun when climbing even a mole hill. So because I have the Hammerschmidts
and the availability to shift to a 22 tooth granny, the 2 bikes can climb pretty well.

Thus adding 650b it gives me an edge over the 26" wheels in climbing.
Going over obstacles, I guess its better
I can't tell as much but in the climbing and descending speed-wise, you can tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
The whole low bb trend is mostly a west coast thing , where the trails are smooth and flowy. 650B will own DH within a year. With the possibility of 650B rear and 29er front designs within two years. Too many advantages not to go that direction.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looks like they took a few tricks from Mondraker on that sled..... (26" TT on large size!!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts