Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
www.lugoftheirish.com
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the over under on the number of 650b builds in Austin? I know for a fact there will be at least one.

·
Crawfishy
78 Posts
Tim, you are making it harder and harder not to sell all of my other bikes and come down the street and put a deposit down. I saw one of your other 650b race bikes out at one of the TRTP night rides before Christmas. Very nice. Have fun in Austin. Keep an eye out for TimT (my cousin) he is attending this year.

Jason

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
My Igleheart 953 650B SS will be there (obviously in the Igleheart booth), as will I.

My wife's wedding present to me (got married last June) was a trip to NAHBS 2011 in Austin. We're heading down for a nice long weekend to attend the show and enjoy some good food, beer and music.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If they were the only 2 650b bikes at the show, then I would say 650b was represented very well. Very convincing bikes you guys have their.

Would be cool to see a homologous of your two bikes. A 650b full suspension with 953 tubing, and a little Shamrock paint thrown it's way just to give it a bit of color.

·
www.lugoftheirish.com
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
88 rex said:
Hows the KVA working out? That's pretty new stuff, and it seems a lot of guys are utilizing it. I've been looking into it for a future DIY project.

Any pics of the bike too?:) I love me some stainless steel.
I like the KVA. The bike has a KVA headtube, chainstays and seat stays. The DT, ST, and TT are 953. The finish on the KVA seaststays seems about in line with 953 but the chainstays are a tad rougher. Not rough mind you, just a little rougher surface so if you were planning on polishing you will probably still have some surface imperfections showing through. I took the frame to a satin scotch brite finish so I had no problems. Frame was powdercoated clear and then paint laid over top with a liquid clear over the whole bike. So no harsh paint lines and no worries about liquid clear delaminating off bare metal. This is not a mountain bike, much less a 650b, so I apologize for posting it here but since you asked for a pic. I included a pic of a 29er as a palette cleanser.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Loretta said:
This is not a mountain bike, much less a 650b, so I apologize for posting it here but since you asked for a pic. I included a pic of a 29er as a palette cleanser.
Hey it's your thread, no apology necessary :)

Both are beautiful bikes btw (the 29er aside =), impressive work!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Loretta said:
I like the KVA. The bike has a KVA headtube, chainstays and seat stays. The DT, ST, and TT are 953. The finish on the KVA seaststays seems about in line with 953 but the chainstays are a tad rougher. Not rough mind you, just a little rougher surface so if you were planning on polishing you will probably still have some surface imperfections showing through. I took the frame to a satin scotch brite finish so I had no problems. Frame was powdercoated clear and then paint laid over top with a liquid clear over the whole bike. So no harsh paint lines and no worries about liquid clear delaminating off bare metal. This is not a mountain bike, much less a 650b, so I apologize for posting it here but since you asked for a pic. I included a pic of a 29er as a palette cleanser.
Nice!!! I didn't think people were fillet brazing SS? It has a great look! Good luck at the show.

·
www.lugoftheirish.com
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
88 rex said:
Nice!!! I didn't think people were fillet brazing SS?
With the right filler it is not a problem. The last dozen or so fillet brazed frames I have done have been with Fillet Pro with great results.

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
A few weeks ago in the thread about my 953 650B SS, Mickey from Spooky Bikes mentioned he was also going to have a couple of 650B bikes at NAHBS. I'm pretty psyched there's going to be a good representation of 650Bs. :D

Oh, and I'll make sure I swing by the Shamrock Cycles booth to say hello. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.