Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sail On!
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to do this for a while as I thought this frame would make a great climbing trail bike. I have been on about 6 rides now and feel pretty good about the results. It climbs much better than my Blur LT 26/650B and descends nicely although not as well but thats to be expected.
The rear wheel does hit the front derailleur cable stop so I had to shim the fox air shock. It was easy once I figured out how to use a 1 1/4" hole saw to make the shims (See Pics) the cutouts were the perfect size at 1.1" I had to use 6 shims to get the clearance I needed so I lost 1" of travel. Still not satisfied though I am going to cut off the cable stop so I can reduce the # of shims.
No problems with derailleur clearance and the Wolverine tires helped because the side knobs don't stick out past the casing. I like these tires fast good grip a bit lighter at 680g and they air up tubeless so easy no soap required.
The BB height ended up at 13" with the fork set at 130mm. Just right for a trailbike. I know that is more than the SC recommendation but I tried 100,120 and 130 and it felt best by far.
Fox forks have low A-C height so I think that helped.
Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
doismellbacon said:
Yeah..... problem is, muther fussin Home Depot has put almost all the decent hardware stores out of business around here. Ace has gone the way of the Dodo :(
My local Lowes and Orchard have a nice selection - Home depot is a bit lacking for fancy hardware.

·
Sail On!
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MMcG said:
That's cool but you are now down to 3" of rear travel only? is that right?
Right you are MMcG which is why I want cut off the cable stop. I wanted to make sure I liked the setup enough to take a saw to the frame ;) I figure when I reroute the front derailleur with a removable cable stop I will be able to remove 3 spacers. I'll post a pic when I do.
Suprisingly the bike rides very well at 3".

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
That's an excellent bike and setup there, Pat. I like your cable stop mod. A friend's BLT2 aluminum model has that same issue with 650B at extreme full compression. The SL should work quite nicely with 650B. On your 130 fork, I had an SL with a 130mm fork, and like you, I think it improved the bike. Nice package.

·
Sail On!
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been 8 months since I have built up this bike and I have ridden the bejezzus out of it so I wanted to do a long term review.
First off I have changed the setup some by swapping out the fork for a Pike which sounds like a big heavy fork for this bike but at 4.6lbs for the dual air SL isn't so bad. The 20mm axle tracks so well for a big guy like myself at 200lbs it has been one of the best upgrades. I can lean this bike over aggressively in corners with a ton of confidence.
I went to Downieville this year and had a great time only using the shuttle once. This bike can climb. I still get some pedal kickback when hammering out of the saddle but it is manageable as long as I watch my cadence. I think the bigger wheels help because I can maintain my momentum and don't get hung up nearly as much.
The drive train has been spot on for me with a 22t-34t -bash crank and 11-34 cassette. The gearing is a bit taller than a 26er just due to wheel size but this is such a great climbing frame I have never felt I run out of low gears. I also run a mid-cage derailleur which shifts better and is quieter. Quick plug for the BBG bash ring its cheap, light and it works. I did some boulder riding up in the Lakes Basin Rec area and tested it the hard way.
As far as tires I am running a Nevegal 2.3 up front and a Racing Ralph in the rear. Great combo the Nevegal grips so well and the Ralph feels really smooth and quick on the climbs.
To sum it up I have been super pleased with this bike. It has so much glide I find myself rocketing down trails. I rode last week with a friend of mine who has a 2010 Carbon SWorks Epic worth some serious cash. I had no trouble keeping up. ;)

Attachments

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Nice goin Josh

Questions for the OP:
1) How is the rear lateral tire clearance with the upper and lower stays, with what tire and rim?
2) How long a stem and bar combo are you running (shortish Koryak there?)?

Thanks!
Thanks for Bumbpin this old post:thumbsup:. Not that I know anything about 650's, but I have been getting some pointers from the OP. Could be a SL conversion coming for me. Stay tuned.....

·
Sail On!
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Questions for the OP:
1) How is the rear lateral tire clearance with the upper and lower stays, with what tire and rim?
2) How long a stem and bar combo are you running (shortish Koryak there?)?

Thanks!
Lateral clearance is good about 5 to 10mm depending on the tire. Seat tube clearance is the problem at full travel. Switching to a Racing Ralph fixed that now I get full travel no shock shims.

Good eye I run a 50mm Koryak stem with a Ritchey carbon bar 685mm wide. The bar has an unusual forward bend which moves your hands forward about an inch which is why I run such a sort stem.

Just got my rear shock Pushed and I have to say pedaling out of the saddle is greatly improved. No pogoing better traction on the steeps. I don't know what it is about 650B but it just makes you want to stand up and hammer.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
So PUSH helped

Lateral clearance is good about 5 to 10mm depending on the tire. Seat tube clearance is the problem at full travel. Switching to a Racing Ralph fixed that now I get full travel no shock shims.

Good eye I run a 50mm Koryak stem with a Ritchey carbon bar 685mm wide. The bar has an unusual forward bend which moves your hands forward about an inch which is why I run such a sort stem.

Just got my rear shock Pushed and I have to say pedaling out of the saddle is greatly improved. No pogoing better traction on the steeps. I don't know what it is about 650B but it just makes you want to stand up and hammer.
That's great. Plus I see back on your update that you gained some more travel back de-shimming your shock. My current 650 squishy is not good with the stand and mash either. Thus my SL or Epic thinking. That or just be content with my 650 HT's and Spearfish. :skep:

Attachments

·
Uncle
4,388 Posts
That's great. Plus I see back on your update that you gained some more travel back de-shimming your shock. My current 650 squishy is not good with the stand and mash either. Thus my SL or Epic thinking. That or just be content with my 650 HT's and Spearfish. :skep:
You're welcome, Jeff. ;)
From what I understand, PUSH is doing great things with the Monarch. Is that what I see on your KHS? Hard to believe I haven't seen your rig in person yet, but then I've not been to Annadel as much as any rider should.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's been 8 months since I have built up this bike and I have ridden the bejezzus out of it so I wanted to do a long term review.
First off I have changed the setup some by swapping out the fork for a Pike which sounds like a big heavy fork for this bike but at 4.6lbs for the dual air SL isn't so bad. The 20mm axle tracks so well for a big guy like myself at 200lbs it has been one of the best upgrades. I can lean this bike over aggressively in corners with a ton of confidence.
I went to Downieville this year and had a great time only using the shuttle once. This bike can climb. I still get some pedal kickback when hammering out of the saddle but it is manageable as long as I watch my cadence. I think the bigger wheels help because I can maintain my momentum and don't get hung up nearly as much.
The drive train has been spot on for me with a 22t-34t -bash crank and 11-34 cassette. The gearing is a bit taller than a 26er just due to wheel size but this is such a great climbing frame I have never felt I run out of low gears. I also run a mid-cage derailleur which shifts better and is quieter. Quick plug for the BBG bash ring its cheap, light and it works. I did some boulder riding up in the Lakes Basin Rec area and tested it the hard way.
As far as tires I am running a Nevegal 2.3 up front and a Racing Ralph in the rear. Great combo the Nevegal grips so well and the Ralph feels really smooth and quick on the climbs.
To sum it up I have been super pleased with this bike. It has so much glide I find myself rocketing down trails. I rode last week with a friend of mine who has a 2010 Carbon SWorks Epic worth some serious cash. I had no trouble keeping up. ;)[/QUOTE

Looks like you have it figured out Pat... I have a SL like you and readin your post have inspired me to bite the bullet on a 650B tire set up... ordered a WTB TCS i23 650 rim, still deciding on tires to put on, thinking of 2.1 Nevs... anyway my concern is what correct spoke length should I use? will be using a Shimano XT centerlock hub... thanks in advance...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.