Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some XT cranks with 22-32-bash with a 9 speed 11-34 cassette. Thinking of going 1x10 with a 42t cog but I'm going to need a 28t ring to make it work for me. Is there a NW 28 tooth ring made that will fit on my cranks?

·
The perfessor
806 Posts
Absoluteblack makes chainrings for the 64 bcd to replace small chainrings with something slightly larger..........I ordered the 26T with a OneUp 42t/16t cog set for a 1x10 conversion.......when the parts come in and get loaded up, I'll be posting on my experience.........

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, thanks.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
Absoluteblack makes chainrings for the 64 bcd to replace small chainrings with something slightly larger..........I ordered the 26T with a OneUp 42t/16t cog set for a 1x10 conversion.......when the parts come in and get loaded up, I'll be posting on my experience.........
That'll make your chainline suck (too far inboard). Think about trying to run little-little on your current 3x setup.

If I'm not mistaken, think the 64BCD 28T & 30T cogs are better suited for 2x cranks (which have the inner ring placed more like the middle ring of a 3x).

·
Registered
14,850 Posts
That'll make your chainline suck (too far inboard). Think about trying to run little-little on your current 3x setup.
On most 3x crankset configurations the small ring position is actually as good as or better than the middle one as far as chainline, usually better.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
Maybe were arguing the same thing, but in a different way.

For me, with a triple ring, being in the smallest chain ring and the smallest cassette ring (11T) leads to cross chaining and noise.

·
Registered
14,850 Posts
For me, with a triple ring, being in the smallest chain ring and the smallest cassette ring (11T) leads to cross chaining and noise.
All cross chaining leads to noise, less chain angle to the small cog means more chain angle when in the large rear cog. Perfect chainline is when the chain is running straight when in the middle of the cassette, which in theory should be when you're in the middle ring of a triple but in reality it isn't.

When running a triple crankset and in the small ft. ring/ small rear cog combo most of the noise you are hearing could be the chain dragging on the middle front ring.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have some XT cranks with 22-32-bash with a 9 speed 11-34 cassette. Thinking of going 1x10 with a 42t cog but I'm going to need a 28t ring to make it work for me. Is there a NW 28 tooth ring made that will fit on my cranks?
Where are you getting the 42 cog for your 9 speed cassette? I've looked everywhere for one and couldn't find any 40 or 42 cogs.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would go 1x10. I'll have a close look at the granny chain line.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I don't know what cranks you guys are using,.. but when my chain is on the middle ring on the cranks it perfectly straight when on the #5 on the cassette.. perfect chainline.. never seen a crank where the grannie on the cranks is better than the middle on a 3x

on a 2x cranks it's better...

personally I agree and with 29er's I think the middle ring needs to be smaller than 104.. which you can get with some cranks.. but most cost big $$$$ or use old internal BB's

·
GONE
25,525 Posts
I've got a question about using the small ring location on a 2 or 3 ring crank set to transform it into a one ring set up.

I have an XTR M970 2 ring crank (currently running 26/38 up front and 11-34 in back). If I were to drop a ring to make it a single ring set up, it looks like a ring that is much bigger than the current small ring that is on there now would make contact (or very close to it) with the chain stay on my frame. Is that generally some thing that has to be considered?

My frame is an '09 Pivot mach 429 alloy.

·
Registered
14,850 Posts
If I were to drop a ring to make it a single ring set up, it looks like a ring that is much bigger than the current small ring that is on there now would make contact (or very close to it) with the chain stay on my frame. Is that generally some thing that has to be considered?
Yep, that's why triple (and double) crankset chainlines aren't centered, the frame will limit the chainring sizes.

·
GONE
25,525 Posts
Yep, that's why triple (and double) crankset chainlines aren't centered, the frame will limit the chainring sizes.
I do understand that true single ring crank sets are "centered" but I am wondering if the frames themselves play a part in whether or not they can be used with a true single ring crank set?

Even with a true single ring crank set, I fear the the tolerance on my frame (chain stay) would be cutting it too close for comfort.

So, are modern frames built with slightly redesigned chain stays to allow for better clearance???

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Here you go Hawgy, you should read this:

Absolute Black Brings Narrow Wide Chainrings to 64 BCD, Chain lines Rejoice

In the comments section after the article, refering to fitting bigger rings in the 64BCD position:

Mike- 28 and 30T – in 95% of frames it will not be an issue at all. Only really oldschool frames may have a problem with 30. Every modern bike will accept that. Speaking about 32T – this is on the border for some frames. So i will make a printable chart you could print, cut and see if it will work for you. So you will make a right decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts