Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm in the market for a new mtn bike and have decided to put up the dough for a plush XC ride, but most importantly one that fits me well. My two previous rides were both Specialized Stumpjumpers - one an XL hard tail and one (current) L full suspension. I've enjoyed the large, but my long legs (37 inch inseam) and shorter torso than the average has resulted in me adding three spacers to the headset and adding 2 1/2 inch riserbars which makes it feel OK on the flats and downhills, but sloppy during climbs.

My "dream bike" is a Titus Racer X and when measured by a local shop, I found out I'm smack dab in the middle between a large (24" top tube) and extra large (24.6" top tube with a higher head tube). The folks at Titus are telling me to take the XL and use a 110mm stem, but I'm a little concerned about compromising the integrity of the bike too much and running into similar issues like I did with my Specialized.

For all the tall riding experts out there, do you know of any bikes that have an in between top tube size? (Preferably a 24.3 or thereabouts when you consider the geometry of different brands.) A friend recommended the Turner 5 Spot and others have told me to go the way of the 29er, but most important, I want a frame that fits w/o having to doll out the extra $$ for a custom bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
alos being a long legged 6-3 i would say lean towards the XL size as well, shorter stem.......i have a 3" rise bar plus a 30 degree stem, i like the saddle height to be just below or even to my handlebar height, just my preference though. good luck.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
for completeness, i would at least consider some 29" wheel bikes....not saying they are the cure all, just that you should at least do the research to cover all bases, especially at your height and inseam.

The bike will look a lot less out of proportion with you on it....with some of the issues you mention lessened.

If you like the Racer-X, you can check out the Asylum from Speedgoat (29er Racer-X made for Speedgoat by Titus).

If you really want the right fit, you can consider custom. Lots of choices here as well, 29er or 26er, though I think at this point you can only get the Ti Racer-X custom, not the Aluminum.

my 2 cents...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Berkeley Rider, I too found myself in between sizes on the Titus frames, which forced me to look at other manufacturers. I had the same trouble on the SC Blur as well. So I tried out a Turner, and it fit exactly right and also had the suspension feel that I was looking for.

Get a friend or significant other to measure you and plug your dimensions in on one or two of the online fit calculators out there (competitivecyclist.com, wrenchscience.com, etc.). This will give you a good idea of the dimensions you need to look for and help narrow down your choices. I had a good idea of which bikes' geometries were better suited to my dimensions before I even started demoing anything. I found that these predictions were pretty accurate when I put in some seat time on each of them.

FoShizzle's suggestion to look at 29ers is a good one. You will be impressed. I've been borrowing one for a few weeks, and the hype is real.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey TLud,

Interesting you should mention the Turner. I just spent a couple of hours with the folks at Wrench Science and he recommended the 5 spot which has a 24.8 top tube length in an extra large. Is this the bike you have? He said with my dimensions, the Turner is a good fit (longer seat tube for my 37 inch inseam.)

How are you liking the bike and the all mountain feel? Any problems climbing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.