Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Not to mention that Al is 1/3 the weight of steel, so you can make a rotor with twice the material by volume compared to a steel one, and it'd still be lighter, combine that with 7075 or something in that strength range and you could have a rotor considerabley stronger than a steel one is at least one direction of loading. Al is still softer than steel, though....

BM

·
Registered
774 Posts
AC/BC said:
:eekster: Found this on ebayhttps://cgi.ebay.com/Aircraft-Alu-Avenger-Disc-Rotor-160mm-44mm-BCD-GREY_W0QQitemZ260001005394QQihZ016QQcategoryZ58082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's made of AL. They say its stronger then steel, but how could it be?? Anyone use these rotors? How is the stopping power?

63 gram 160mm rotor

47 gram rear rotor
I'm using the Rear rotor I purchased it from Hyperbbolts , I have it on the front with Galfer pads stopping power is ok it squeals real bad under hard braking or when hot ,I run a stan's rotor on the rear and the stan's has alot better modulation and stopping power ! they are lite mines 48 grams and I paid $55 stan's $95 overall it's not bad on the front becauce at my weight it will not lock up !

FRM and the creme de la creme !! Carbon Ti I was going to buy one ( A little chrismas in June ) until I found out the model with the ceramic coated 69 gram Ti rotor model was $320 Euros ~ $400 US !!!!

Attachments

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Problem with the ones on Ebay, is that theres no coating. Least that I can see. Just looks like ano(they'll die a slow death with reg pads, and squeal with less power while thats happening). The new Stans with its new coating rocks. I have 2 Stans 160mm in service on 2 fronts atm(I run a steel 140s on the rears). No squealing(except at like 1 mph when rolling it around the shop), with great power and modulation. I forget I'm running one, which was never the case with the old gen Stans. In comparison(I've ridden/raced the first gen Stans since late 02)to the old ones..well, there is no comparsion. Even with its special green pads it wasn't ever as well peforming as the current version. No contest.

They sure are expensive tho. Stans is one of our team sponsors, but it still cost alot compared to the discounts for his other products.

They seem to last forever(the first gen still looks good), but I never use alum rotors if its gonna be a mud race(I have 4 front disc wheels so its easy as pie, with no rotor swapping needed), as that will kill'm. That, and long descents(overheat and warp) are the weaknesses(until the new version, that also included modulation and power).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hyperbolts aluminum rotors

In case no one mentioned it the Hyperbolts 48 gram rotors are hard anodized. The surface has a thin coating (.001/.002") similar in hardness to a good metal file or about 70Rc. I just retired a set of these after two years of use with Magura Marta brakes. The anodize wore through but the rotors proved plenty strong enough for cross country racing. Granted I have other bikes in my rotation but I'm fine with the cost / wear ratio. The stock pads are still going strong. These rotors howl when cold but have decent grip. Once hot they are quite. Ever encountered rider, hikers or motorcycles on a tight single track? A quick squeze of the brakes acts as a loud warning to traffic and while annoying comes in very handy. It sounds odd but there it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.