Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here 6' 6" or taller riding a 62cm LHT.

Does it work? Is it comfortable? Would a longer stem (4.5 inches) with more rise change the handling of the bike? Would that bike be to small for someone 6'6" to 6'8"?

Thanks,
bigE

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am 6'6" and I ride the 62cm Long Haul Trucker.

It fits really really well. When I first built it up, I used the uncut steer tube with a 107 degree 120mm stem. It felt good but not great, though I still rode it about 2000 miles that way.

Then, one day, I said to myself, "Self, none of your other damn bikes sit you up that high. Why don't you drop that stem some?" I took my advice and lost 20mm of spacers, and lo it was good.

The Long Haul Trucker has a longish top tube, so the extra length you think you need in the stem might not be needed. It also has a pretty fair amount of steer tube to play with, so you can probably find the right spot.

For full disclosure, I've had two back surgeries (one was a fusion of the lowest three vertebrae), I'm 39 and I have a fairly (for a 6'6" ape) proportional bod. I'm about 225 depending on the latest "who's responsible for bringing donuts" rock, paper, scissors competetion here in the Surly bunker.

Remember that we measure our frames from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube, not to the top of the seat tube. That results in a bike that sometimes seems larger than another brand that may measure differently.

You can also check out our sizing deal here: http://www.surlybikes.com/spew17.html

Thanks,
Skip

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.