Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big guy and am looking for a nice FS bike. I'm looking for suggestions. I am looking for a bike that I will be happy with for a few years. I haven't been on a bike since I quit riding BMX about ten years ago. My problem is having the nicest and newest bmx parts was much cheaper than these mountain bikes. haha. Budget is under $2000.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
ocwhiteboyoc said:
I'm a big guy and am looking for a nice FS bike. I'm looking for suggestions. I am looking for a bike that I will be happy with for a few years. I haven't been on a bike since I quit riding BMX about ten years ago. My problem is having the nicest and newest bmx parts was much cheaper than these mountain bikes. haha. Budget is under $2000.
I see you are from La Habra. I grew up right next door in La Mirada.

I am right around your size have been heavier and I am currently a little lighter. I would recommend heading down Beach Boulevard a few miles to Buena Park Bikes (or your favorite local Giant dealer) and see what they can do for you on one of these:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/reign.2/7323/44549/

If you can't get anyone off the $2150 mark, save a little extra until you can pony up.

Big boy tested and recommended :thumbsup:

=====================

At $2000 for a FS bike, there will be some compromises vs. having "the best". There will be some compromises from having 'almost the best', but for the money the Reign 2 is a pretty damn good deal on a FS bike for a 280lb rider.

IMHO, the biggest potential issue I see having on the bike could be the rear hub. If you are strong and ride up really steep stuff, the Shimano 475 freehub could be vulnerable. At some point down the road, you may be looking at lacing something like a Hope Pro II rear hub in there. But for a decent FS bike, you're not likely to get appreciably sturdier hubs for under $2K. It just doesn't happen. The DT Swiss rims and spokes are otherwise worthy choices so, other than that, the wheel should be fine for the long haul. They gotta save money somewhere, especially on a bike that comes with a Fox fork and rear shock.

Tapered headtube and fork steerer along with a 15QR front axle sohlod make for a pretty sturdy front end. The Shimano external bearing crankset is solid as are the Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. I have SRAM X.5 shifters on my everyday bike and they work fine and the X.7 rear derailleur is good too.

The rest of the parts are not 'blingy', but I do see them being quite serviceable for your needs. Great bike at that price point IMHO.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Amazing spec for a bike that cheap! In addition to the fox stuff, I've never seen a 150.00 saddle on a 2100.00 bike!

Jeff, My 16 year old son is 6"7" 315 lbs., 58" chest and size 17 shoe, big a$$ bones. He's maybe 30 lbs overweight. Think maybe the reign will hold up to him? Or should I wait till he drops a few pounds?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.