Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on a loop from Central ave entrance to check our the new trail?
I was thinking up Ranger and SW on National to the new connector and down. What do I do when I get down? Is there a section near Telegraph I can ride back up? Suggestions for a more funner way to ride it?
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
YuriB said:
Any suggestions on a loop from Central ave entrance to check our the new trail?
I was thinking up Ranger and SW on National to the new connector and down. What do I do when I get down? Is there a section near Telegraph I can ride back up? Suggestions for a more funner way to ride it?
Up road to Ranger to National. East on National to 620. Down 620 to Gila. West on Gila to National. West on National to Bajada. East on Bajada to road to trails west of road but east of the Alta range (can't recall the name of this low-land trail). Unfortunately, there is no connector trail between 620/Gila and Telegraph/Desert Classic on the south side flats of SoMo. The housing butts right up against the steep side of the mtn in that area - nowhere to build an "easy" trail.
 

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DurtGurl said:
Up road to Ranger to National. East on National to 620. Down 620 to Gila. West on Gila to National. West on National to Bajada. East on Bajada to road to trails west of road but east of the Alta range (can't recall the name of this low-land trail). Unfortunately, there is no connector trail between 620/Gila and Telegraph/Desert Classic on the south side flats of SoMo. The housing butts right up against the steep side of the mtn in that area - nowhere to build an "easy" trail.
Makes sense. Thanks!
 

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DurtGurl said:
I've added the approx location of the 620 trail to Epicrider Dale's latest SoMo map (west end) to show the trails I mentioned above....
That helps. I was thinking the mine drop was the 602. So I have to go East on National after climbing up Ranger to get to 602.
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
YuriB said:
That helps. I was thinking the mine drop was the 602. So I have to go East on National after climbing up Ranger to get to 602.
Your suggested way up Kiwanis to National would work also, but would be lots more hike-a-bike than my route. I guess it depends on how ok you are with doing some of the loop on the road. Have fun! I need to get out there soon and sample the 602. The top up on the ridgeline has been there forever, but always ended at a huge rock carin and never dropped to the south. I always thought that'd be a cool connection to the south side. Guess I wasn't the only one thinking that way :)
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Ry-daddy said:
What is the Gila trail like? I've never heard of it. Is it easy to spot if I wanted to pick it up from the west end of National?
Gila trail west to east is harder than east to west, but worth the effort. You'll feel like you're out in the middle of NOWHERE! From National, you know when you cross the wash at the very end of the drop and then climb a short distance before dropping again towards San Juan road? Well at the top of the short climb from the wash, look for a faint "trail" heading due west. That'll hook you up to the Gila connector. Finding Gila again out of the washes around the ruins will also take some route finding. But once you are on it, you will be thrilled. It's a beauty of a trail between the ruins and Chandler Rd. Same grade as Desert Classic, but is way more flowy and interesting.
 

·
Rhino
Joined
·
567 Posts
is the 602 easy to recognize where it ties into National. I've ridden National a couple times in the past month and don't remember the trail. Gila is very easy to find where it ties into the west end of National.
 

·
MTBikeAZ.com
Joined
·
117 Posts
I just rode the completed ridgline trail that is south of Gila. It's a great steep climb and a rollercoaster descent.

http://mtbikeaz.com/2010/04/20/620-ridgeline/

I've been exploring out there quite a bit the past month and am liking the new routes these trail offer. Here are some short clips of the descents on the new ridgeline trail.

<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' src='http://vholdr.com/videoPlayer/embedPlayer.swf' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' flashvars='height=281&width=500&plugins=yourlytics-1&yourlytics.callback=http://vholdr.com/callback.php&repeat=list&file=http://vholdr.com/xspf/node/82959/emb' height='281' width='500'></embed>

<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' src='http://vholdr.com/videoPlayer/embedPlayer.swf' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' flashvars='height=281&width=500&plugins=yourlytics-1&yourlytics.callback=http://vholdr.com/callback.php&repeat=list&file=http://vholdr.com/xspf/node/82957/emb' height='281' width='500'></embed>
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
TheBarqsMan said:
I just rode the completed ridgline trail that is south of Gila. It's a great steep climb and a rollercoaster descent.

http://mtbikeaz.com/2010/04/20/620-ridgeline/

I've been exploring out there quite a bit the past month and am liking the new routes these trail offer. Here are some short clips of the descents on the new ridgeline trail.
</EMBED>
So there's a 620 and a 602? Is there a connection between Gila and Bees Knees on the east side? I really need to get out more...

Here's my attempt at drawing in your GPS on Dale's map:
 

Attachments

·
MTBikeAZ.com
Joined
·
117 Posts
I'm pretty sure It's all called the 620.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/2009/04/01/20090401southmtauction0402.html

Funny thing is that none of the new trails are actually on the 620 purchase (as near as I can tell). http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/internet/@inter/@pio/documents/web_content/031820.pdf

The 620 area will give these trails official trailheads and official names whenever that is...I'm happy with the "Bees Knees" trail because it really is a magnificent trail. Much more bike friendly than the Gila View Ridge trail (marker 33 off National).

Yes there is a singletrack/doubletrack connection between Gila and the Bees.

I even saw another trail in progress out there... West somo is shaping up.

Now I've seen, in Google Earth, trails North of Alta that skirt the boundary. Anyone been on those? I'm going to explore those real soon.
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
TheBarqsMan said:
I'm pretty sure It's all called the 620.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/2009/04/01/20090401southmtauction0402.html

Funny thing is that none of the new trails are actually on the 620 purchase (as near as I can tell). http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/internet/@inter/@pio/documents/web_content/031820.pdf
That absolutely rocks! I had not seen the announcement of the land purchase by the city.

TheBarqsMan said:
The 620 area will give these trails official trailheads and official names whenever that is...I'm happy with the "Bees Knees" trail because it really is a magnificent trail. Much more bike friendly than the Gila View Ridge trail (marker 33 off National).

Yes there is a singletrack/doubletrack connection between Gila and the Bees.

I even saw another trail in progress out there... West somo is shaping up.
Ok, I'm thinking I need to ride these trails this weekend.... Home, Desert Classic, road, Gila, Bees Knees, Gila, National, Bajada, road, Ranger, National, 620 Ridgeline, Gila, road, Desert Classic, hot tub. Sounds like a plan - thanks for the inspiration Yuri and Bargsman!

TheBarqsMan said:
Now I've seen, in Google Earth, trails North of Alta that skirt the boundary. Anyone been on those? I'm going to explore those real soon.
My buddy Scotty A lives north of Alta and has been exploring those trails. Ride em and add to your map! Speaking of your excellent trail map, here is a bootleg version of SoMo west with trail names added.

And now I *really* must get back to work :rolleyes:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
I rode the Gila section a few weeks back and got my a** handed to me. Steep, Tight and Loose. Also Mike's video's make it look easier then it really is :D

I'm sticking to my excuse that I was suffering from baby fatigue and still trying to get use to platforms.
 

·
oooh, shiny...
Joined
·
450 Posts
Just got back from my first attempt at riding the south west end of SoMo. Started from where national crosses San Juan Rd. and headed out Gila. Made it about a mile up Bees Knees before getting an unrepairable flat. :madman: Looked like a primo trail though, I'll definitely be back out there soon! :thumbsup:
 

·
Plasko
Joined
·
203 Posts
DurtGurl said:
.... east of the Alta range (can't recall the name of this low-land trail).....
That would be Max Delta Loop, which will take you over to the base of Holbert.

That is all I can contribute to the thread at the moment. :p
 

·
Losing Ground
Joined
·
213 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Ok, I'm thinking I need to ride these trails this weekend.... Home, Desert Classic, road, Gila, Bees Knees, Gila, National, Bajada, road, Ranger, National, 620 Ridgeline, Gila, road, Desert Classic, hot tub. Sounds like a plan - thanks for the inspiration Yuri and Bargsman!
So is this shaping up into a group ride? ...Yuri, DG, BarqsMan?
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Guipago said:
So is this shaping up into a group ride? ...Yuri, DG, BarqsMan?
Quite possibly... 7 or 8 AM this Sunday starting in Ahwatukee near the DC water tank or Warpaint entrances. Cenobite and MyBike'sBroken are supposedly in with me - the Tuscon guy is pushing for 8AM start instead of 7 :) It's an unofficial ride right now but post up if you are interested in joining!
 

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guipago said:
So is this shaping up into a group ride? ...Yuri, DG, BarqsMan?
I'm thinking of a 6:30 start at the central ave entrance but I don't think most folks want to go that early.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top