Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6', inside leg 33", weigh about 190lbs.

Had a demo Trance X3 for the weekend and loved it, but it was a Medium and whilst it didn't feel small, I had the seatpost just past max and I kind of dwarf the bike in pics.

However, I've heard the Large is a lot bigger and I wouldn't want to lose chuckability.

So, which one did you go for?

:)

·
TRANCER
2,771 Posts
I'm 5'11" with a 33' inseem and I went with the large myself. I felt the same as you on a medium. It was a tough decision but went with the large. Both felt good. But the medium felt like it did to you and the seatpost was way out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm 6'1, 200lbs, 34" inseam and ride a large. My buddy has a medium and it feels like a clown bike on me. Throw a shorter stem on the large and you'll be ready to rock.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 180lbs. Not sure of inseam, but I chose the medium ('09 Trance X1) over the large, but only just. Either would be fine for our height. Go with the size that feels better. My '09 yukon commuter is a 20" large.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im 6 2 and chose the large, i have the seatpost almost maxed out on that but m arms are short so overall its a good fit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See, this is the thing - below 6' get the Medium, above 6' get the large. I hate being 6' on the nail as it's right between sizes!

<sigh>

Maybe I'll get an 18.5" Trek Fuel EX... ;)

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
To the OP: get the large.

To all the taller people, I can't believe YOU got larges. I'm 6'2" and got the XL cause the large felt too short. I couldn't imagine having an even shorter wheelbase and top tube. To each his own, but I wish my headtube was an inch shorter. Bar height with a longer fork would be out of control...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch inseam. I ride the a large 08 X2 but in truth I probably should have gotten the XL. My seatpost is maxed out in terms of length for me to get proper leg extension. But, I would need a much shorter stem with the XL due to top tube length.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
SLOboy said:
I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch inseam. I ride the a large 08 X2 but in truth I probably should have gotten the XL. My seatpost is maxed out in terms of length for me to get proper leg extension. But, I would need a much shorter stem with the XL due to top tube length.
I slowly whittled my stem size down to 70mm. It does pretty good in most cases, even steeper climbs.

I still laugh at the stock 120mm stem and 26 inch bars my bike came with. :p

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
gradeAfailure said:
See, this is the thing - below 6' get the Medium, above 6' get the large. I hate being 6' on the nail as it's right between sizes!

<sigh>

Maybe I'll get an 18.5" Trek Fuel EX... ;)
there is so much more to bike fit than height. personal preference is a huge thing - on paper i should be on a L trance x but i like a short cockpit and smaller frame i can throw it around more. even with a 65mm stem i can't imagine my TT being an inch longer than it is and a headtube almost an inch taller? no focking way. even with no spacers between my HS and stem, a zero rise short stem and lo-rise easton bars i still wish by bars were a bit lower.

·
Registered
58 Posts
5'11 160lbs, went with the medium, same experience with the seat post. If I had to do it again id take the advice of going with the large and getting a short stem.

G

·
6'2" 33" inseam. I ride a large, it's perfect for me. I like smaller frames but the medium seemed cramped: seatpost fully extended, would have probably needed a longer stem. I think having a seatpost maxed out when you are not a 140 lb. rider may have been partially the reason I broke a couple frames where the seat tube meets the top tube.
Tried the XL, definitely too big for me. Tried the medium, bit too small, XL was too big, large was just right.
Try out all three sizes to make sure which one fits you the best.
The Trance X is a great bike, you'll love it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im 5'11" - 6' depending on the day haha. I got a Medium, fit by the people in the shop.

Wish I got the large. I have since put a Thomson Layback post and its almost at max just to get leg extension. Feels better and fits batter, but a large would have been perfect. The medium feels to "small"

·
Registered
537 Posts
In between

Fyrmedic510 said:
Im 5'11" - 6' depending on the day haha. I got a Medium, fit by the people in the shop.

Wish I got the large. I have since put a Thomson Layback post and its almost at max just to get leg extension. Feels better and fits batter, but a large would have been perfect. The medium feels to "small"
Seems like 5'10" - 5'11" is an awkward size as it is in between a medium and a large on many bike brands, I know as I'm 5'10".

The Giant Trance X Large seems to have a very tall headtube, but that has changed for 2011 as far as I know.

I don't like the idea of putting a longer stem than 100mm on a trailbike to make it fit.

A shorter stem on a Large may be a solution.

My advice to gradeAfailure would be to go find/borrow/beg for a large Trance X and test ride that too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input - I'm hoping to get to a shop and try a Large this weekend. Tempted to hold out til the 2011 bikes are out now and see about discounts!

I know it's cheeky but could anyone with a Large set the top of the saddle 29" from the BB centre and take a side-on pic?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts