Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've warped 2 front 6" wavy rotors with my juicy 7's during average crosscountry riding in Vt. where the hills are long. Would going to 8" make that much of a difference. Is just changing the front the best or both ?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah, except that I've found that the bigger rotors are more susceptible to warping, at least with my old Hayes 8" rotors. And heavier, if that matters. And that you'd need a new caliper mount. S

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Who Dat!! said:
I've warped 2 front 6" wavy rotors with my juicy 7's during average crosscountry riding in Vt. where the hills are long. Would going to 8" make that much of a difference. Is just changing the front the best or both ?

Thanks to all!
If the hills are long and steep, you might want to swap out the rear one too. Here in Mexico City we have long steep hills where you want to use your front brake the most but always support it with the rear... the rear brake gets less fresh, clean air so if you drag them lots (like on long steep stuff) they'll warm up a lot and a bigger rotor is desirable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DSR said:
And heavier, if that matters.
To put the "weight issue" in perspective, the difference between the Hayes 6" and 8" rotors is about 80 grams, or 3 ounces. I also debated the weight difference, until I realized it's equivalent to one sip from my 70 oz. 1984+ gram hydration pack. Good luck. - Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts